Suzy Favor-Hamilton Shocker!!!!! (Read 1172 times)

Prince of Fatness

Sure, it's everywhere now, thanks to a giant internet gossip powerhouse, but I was sort of hoping that WE could have left her alone.  I was feeling extremely bad FOR HER.

Well she is a well known runner and this is a running message board.  It was just a matter of time before it would be mentioned.  And sure, you are going to get some snarky comments.  It is what it is.  But I'm thinking that it will remain civil here, mostly.

Like others have mentioned, it's sad that her family will suffer because of her lack of judgement.

Not at it at all. 

Shocked

I snorted (and I'm a dood)....Nobby, do you know how the intertubes actually work?  You spent 3 days with her...you have not a clue as to the type of person she is/was, but thanks to her own doings, the world now knows a little bit more. 

Meh, so long as Uncle Suga gets their cut, this will go away eventually.

Feeling the growl again

Well, hopefully we will never know why she made this choice because this will fall out of attention in the media (running is a "yawn" sport in the public's eye, as we all know).  That way the impact will be minimized on her family and hopefully they can piece their lives back together outside of the public eye.

In the end, she is the one that made this choice so while I am not completely unsympathetic to people who make bad choices I have a lot more sympathy for her family that did not get a chance to make the decision to be involved.  Her kid is 7 and I'm sure school will be BRUTAL.  In the end people need to take responsibility for their decisions and actions; I don't have a heck of a lot of sympathy for her rival Regina, the drug cheat, for getting her records stricken and banned, either.  She made the decision to cheat.

I hope Suzy was sincere in her statement but time will tell, the cynical side of me notes are people seem to only have regrets when they get caught.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

delicate flower

My goodness, Tchuck; you didn't have to spread the news any further like some other message board.  She's a sweet girl, yes.  I got to know her during Atlanta Olympics.  Whatever triggered her to turn this way; just cut her some slack.  Don't be like a paparazzi...

"Please disperse!  There is nothing to see here!"

<3

xor

It will fall out of attention fairly quickly.  Honestly, it never HAD the attention of mainstream media... not that much.  We've been too busy with the Mayan nonsense.

But you better believe she will be back in the public eye in a year or so with a book and a lifetime movie.  And time on the Today Show and some morning talkshow somewhere.  For awhile.  Then gone again.

We all find this fascinating because we are runners.  Nonrunners have never heard of her.

dennrunner

It will fall out of attention fairly quickly.  Honestly, it never HAD the attention of mainstream media... not that much.  We've been too busy with the Mayan nonsense.

But you better believe she will be back in the public eye in a year or so with a book and a lifetime movie.  And time on the Today Show and some morning talkshow somewhere.  For awhile.  Then gone again.

We all find this fascinating because we are runners.  Nonrunners have never heard of her.

Yeah.  She did make the Jay Leno monologue last night, though.

xhristopher

I predict a 60 Minutes interview, an interesting intercourse no doubt.

Crazy Justin

In a previous RW interview, Hamilton has said that she has struggled with depression esp since her retirement from competitive running.  While I am disappointed because she was one of my favorites when I grew up in the '90s, I wish her to conquer her issues and for her to be happy in her many remaining years.

Mile: 5:18,   5K: 19:09,  10K: 39:44,  Half: 1:28:12,  Full: 3:21:56

Post-35 PRs:

Mile: 6:02,  5K: 21:14, 10K: 45:40, Half: 1:42:24

http://jzehnder208.googlepages.com

www.crazyj208.blogspot.com

zonykel

I didn't know her and I haven't followed running for a long time. But in general, I think this sort of story is classless, regardless of who it is. Really, don't we have bigger problems than that? When RW posted the link as "breaking news" on FB I think the vast majority of us were against RW even pushing the story, and a minority was judgmental, as if it were their business (it's a family matter, IMO).
                    Purdey

Self anointed title

Nonrunners have never heard of her.

Some had, but it cost them $$$.

Menace to Sobriety

Hello, Suzy, this is Eldrick, you can call me Tiger.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

this 4-month old interview/article is a little sad in retrospect.  I was close to sending one my my kids to her camp this summer. 

http://www.makeitmissoula.com/2012/08/olympic-runner-suzy-favor-hamilton/

Ultimately, she learned that in order to make yourself happy you have to first love yourself.

“Being happy is a choice,” said Favor-Hamilton, 45. “We are so often the cause of our own suffering.” Now a popular motivational speaker, she explores the links between the words happiness and passion.

“I ask people often what their passion is,” continued Favor-Hamilton. “What’s interesting is that many people can’t answer that simple question. They have no answer. ‘What makes you excited about life?’ I ask. Passion takes soul-searching and some looking back to childhood.”

Passion, said Favor-Hamilton, is the ultimate reality of our being. It is both love and joy.

“Look deeper if you can’t find your passion,” said Favor-Hamilton. “To get to the bottom of depression, or hopelessness, or other issues, it takes examination from the outside, and confronting painful areas of life. We should talk about it, release it, and get rid of it, and not ignore it.”

and then this...

Motivational speaking has lifted Favor-Hamilton to the summit of happiness. Happiness constantly re-creates her.

and... oh my...

“Sharing who I am is therapy for me,” said Favor-Hamilton. “Happiness was always inside of me, but I had to dig deep down and find it. Now I share it.”

It will be on ESPN 360 I bet! It is a pretty fascinating story, running  or not. 

Now I wonder if her real name was an influence? Does she do favors or discounts?

xhristopher

Ultimately, she learned that in order to make yourself happy you have to first love yourself.

“Being happy is a choice,” said Favor-Hamilton, 45. “We are so often the cause of our own suffering.” Now a popular motivational speaker,

Our society too often puts athletes on pedestals they shouldn't be on. Seems like a good business plan for a retired athlete to have someone write them some speeches and get an agent to book some gigs. Too many of us buy it up. I'm cynical that way. In reality they are just people with foibles like the rest of us. The fact that she's getting press is related to the fact she gets business as a motivational speaker. She's trading on her name, results and reputation. Still sad for her family and innocent child.
                              MorganaRuns

Slower than you

"On your mark, get set, Ho!" My favorite headline today!   

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man" - The Dude

Upcoming races: AthHalf: 10/20