Recovery - Jog vs Walk (Read 279 times)

Is it better to run an interval set a bit slower and jog recovery or run harder, with the same time of recovery, but walk instead. For example, this morning I ran 5 X 5 min (about 1K, yes I am that slow), but also needed to walk for a min, total recovery time being 90 sec.  This was supposed to be at my current one hour race pace, but I may have run it a tad faster.

Is it better to run an interval set a bit slower and jog recovery or run harder, with the same time of recovery, but walk instead. For example, this morning I ran 5 X 5 min (about 1K, yes I am that slow), but also needed to walk for a min, total recovery time being 90 sec.  This was supposed to be at my current one hour race pace, but I may have run it a tad faster.

In general both schemes are used, and both are good. I like to jog around for my recoveries regardless of the pace and time/distance of the work bout, and regardless of the recovery time.  But, I don't think it matters if you jog, walk or stand. The important part is what you do in the work bout part.

I tend to jog slowly during recovery, for two reasons:  1) My legs tend to tighten up if I'm just walking especially between those last couple of intervals, and 2) I figure I get back into range of threshold a bit quicker from active recovery (jog) rather than a fuller recovery (walking).  This may be bunk, but it has been my mindset.

Could depend on how fit you are and what you are trying to accomplish.

Mono Fartlek might be one example.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

It does depend what you want to accomplish, but as a blanket recommendation I prefer a VERY slow jog....not really faster than a walk at all...only because the jogging motion  keeps the HR from falling as far and keeps the blood flushing through the muscles better.  IMHO a slow "sprinters jog" is actually better recovery than walking.

YMMV.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I guess I was right at my 10k pace for the intervals, so that was about the right pace, and I should not beat myself up for walking the recovery, but work towards a jog recovery, rather than slow down my interval in order to jog.  Does that sound right?

Parklife, that is an interesting "formal Fartlek", a variation of the classic fartlek which is supposed to be informal, running from landmark to landmark. Are we supposed to speed up through the reps there, which I I think we'll do naturally as the duration gets shorter,  will try that for my Tuesday workout next week.

Feeling the growl again

I guess I was right at my 10k pace for the intervals, so that was about the right pace, and I should not beat myself up for walking the recovery, but work towards a jog recovery, rather than slow down my interval in order to jog.  Does that sound right?

Your recovery should not slow down your intervals.  It is hard to describe a "sprinters jog".  But it is very slow and more a form than pace thing.  Not really much faster than walking.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

It does not really matter if you walk or jog your recoveries - The goal is to get your heart rate back to the level where you can do your intervals at the same pace from the first to the last.  I could be walking and then jogging a bit, makes no difference to me.

King of PhotoShop

Pretty much what Spaniel said, who is usually helpful in guidance with these questions.  I've always done a very slow jog, for the reasons cited, and I'll share a story with you on it.

About 5 years or so ago I was doing an interval set of 6 x 800 meters, 200 meter recovery jog, at my son's high school track.  At the same time, the high school coach, who had been a Division I sprinter in college, was working with an Olympic hopeful, a young Kenyan.  The Kenyan was doing mile sets at a pace that scared the crap out of me, never having been on a track working next to someone with that blistering speed.

But a couple of times we were doing our recovery jogs at the same time, and I was amazed that his were WAAAY slower than mine.  I learned that day that the recovery pace isn't really that big a deal.  If the Kenyan could take his time like that, so can you.  Spareribs

HermosaBoy

Focus on hitting the proper paces for the work part.

The recoveries will take care of themselves...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

SMART Approach

I think a jog is a it better for most kind of intervals. If you were doing true fast speed intervals where you have complete recovery between, I would be fine with some walking. I actually throw in a bit of back pedaling and shuffling in recovery jogs to get other muscles firing for balance.

Also note, sometimes it is wise to focus on effort rather than exact pace if hot, humid, windy or not feeling strong that day.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Your recovery should not slow down your intervals.  It is hard to describe a "sprinters jog".  But it is very slow and more a form than pace thing.  Not really much faster than walking.

I like to refer to the VERY SLOW JOG as the 'Kenyan Shuffle'.     Did you ever watch the beginning of a marathon when the Kenyans are warming up???    They are running at a pace that I could usually walk and go faster....and then the race starts and they are all gone in an instant at a pace you could never imagine unless you were one of them or MEB.

A very wise person that used to post a lot in RA but doesn't any longer once told me that the slow easy jog is all about form and that it's impossible to run too slow.

Champions are made when no one is watching

Thanks all. Very helpful, and I will try it both ways to see what feels better.

These are longer intervals (5-8 min at 10k ish effort) with relatively short 90 sec or so recoveries, and was not sure if I could jog slow enough to get the HR down, especially in this weather.  That slow jog maybe a good skill to pick up.

Prince of Fatness

These are longer intervals (5-8 min at 10k ish effort) with relatively short 90 sec or so recoveries, and was not sure if I could jog slow enough to get the HR down, especially in this weather.  That slow jog maybe a good skill to pick up.

HF, when I first started doing intervals I ran my recovery jogs too fast.  It's easy to do.  What I did to fix that is right after each interval I slowed to a walk, and after about 4 or 5 paces picked up the jog.  That did the trick for me.

Not at it at all.