Shoes for running in the sand ??? (Read 900 times)

Black-Toe-Nailed

Hey all,

I have to run between 6 and 8 mi on a beach (it's a race, Egmond Half Marathon, here in Holland)

My doubt is what shoes to wear: I have a pair of trail running shoes, race flats (no spikes) and a pair of K-Swiss Ultra Natural II, these are trainers (at least I sue them as such) and the sole is quite flat.

You can see them here:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/f835d0a0d38342b0a4405028fa931877/equipment

I have no experience in running on beaches and  I would like some advice:

While the K-Swiss should perform good on sand, but I think that the extra traction of the trail running shoes  may be an advantage... I have tested them on dry sand but I have no idea what wet sand on a beach will be like.

I am concerned about such factors as the wet sand suctioning and slowing me down making the shoes heavier.

Thanks for the tips !

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
    then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
    I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

Ostrich runner

Is it loose sand higher up on the beach or can you run in the water packed stuff down lower?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Chris UK

He's worried about suction so it might be quicksand.

Sorry - British humour (sic) Wink

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Jill_B

I fly.

I've only ever worn my regular running shoes when I run on the sand. 

Bring it on.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I have only run in sand barefoot or in regular running shoes -- barefoot was much easier, but I wouldn't advise it if you are not used to it. I would suggest minimal shoes that are more flexible for trudging through soft sand but stick to the wet, packed sand as much as possible. Also, I would run without socks and in shoes that can get wet in case you can't outrun the waves.

Black-Toe-Nailed

He's worried about suction so it might be quicksand.

Sorry - British humour (sic) Wink

Ah, now you scared the heck out of me... I think I will carry inflatable children canoes instead XD

--

Emil Zatopek

Black-Toe-Nailed

Is it loose sand higher up on the beach or can you run in the water packed stuff down lower?

Both, there is a long beach and the tides here are high so that I expect that most of the beach will be water packed, at the end of the beach there are at least 1 or 2 more miles of dry sand (dunes actually).

--

Emil Zatopek

Ostrich runner

I'd just wear whatever you're comfy in then. I doubt you really get much traction benefit from trail shoes on the really loose stuff. You might want to look into some short gaiters though.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

xor

It won't really matter too much.  I would wear the lightest pair that felt comfortable.  if you are going to be on it for a long time, consider gaiters.

FWIW, wet sand is easier to run on in general than dry sand.  If it is "suctioning", well, you are too close to the water.

Black-Toe-Nailed

It won't really matter too much.  I would wear the lightest pair that felt comfortable.  if you are going to be on it for a long time, consider gaiters.

Got the gaiters delivered just this morning. THX for the tip!

I have been checking out the place and the sand on the 6 mi beach is wet but extremely compact, there is in fact a bike race the day before the half marathon. Nice.

I have been training on dunes here in my village, but these are inland dunes. The sandy dunes in Egmond are good for half a mile and after that the rest of the race is on compact dirt, perfect for my K-Swiss Natural II thus with the added boon that they are designed for triathlon and if I wet them on the beach my feet will get dry faster (tested in rain and snow).

Thanks again for the advice folks!

--

Emil Zatopek

Black-Toe-Nailed

PR-ed with 1:39:15 !

Thanks guys!

The sand was compact, a wide beach with no noticeable slope. It felt like running on clouds, incredible.

The gaiters demonstrated their usefulness at the entrance and exit of the beach strip where the sand was loose, deep and very pounded by the other runners, after this part there came some miles of compact dirt and sand roads relatively hilly: Here again the gaiters were worth the price I paid and more (actually 9 EUR, not much) as I was able to use the gallop sandy borders of the road to take up the slower runners (incredible undisciplined people, I have to say, despite the boards placed every 0.5 km asking slower runners to run on the right side).

I think that trail shoes may have been useful on some parts, but I did not count with a very long road paved with bricks, here is where the better cushioned K-Swiss Ultra Natural II excelled. I am actually used to run the half marathon distance in trail shoes even alternating with 4-5mi of brick pavement and concrete.

So, thanks again guys for all the advice !!!

--

Emil Zatopek