2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - Last but not least: You're wrong 😂

Funny. This seems to be a reoccurring theme in my life over the past 7 to 10 years. No. I'm not joking. It caused me to quit trying to impress people because "whatever I produce won't be good enough because what I produce isn't good enough." So "fuck it. I'll just disappoint people, or let them down because THAT is what they TRULY expect." So I just sit back, let people tell me what they expect of me (better when it is PAST tense) and how I'm not meeting their expectations which they never actually put into words. I've been wrong about people my whole life and it took me this long to figure out "no matter what I do it will be wrong to someone." Probably why I did so well without a coach. I didn't know what I didn't know until I wanted to find out what I didn't know. Only then did I find out I don't know anything.

RP - Epic rant.  I can't tell how serious you are but I enjoyed it immensely either way.

see above.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

My sister likes to claim I was switched at birth because she and my parents are big connoisseurs of beer while I hardly touch the stuff.

I met my RP for an early morning HM pace run.  Our previous two runs didn't go well for me as I was struggling to hit my new, more ambitious targets.  Today I was too fast, which is bad in terms of not working the desired body systems and getting the desired benefit, but good in terms of giving me a mental boost to confirm I can run the pace.  Now I'll have to work more on dialing into a more consistent pace rather than the more erratic speed up/slow down behavior I had today.  My body still wants to settle back into the comfort of my old training pace, so I need to break that habit.  Training has just started, so I have time.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Running Problem

Problem Child

Guinness - only alcoholic drink I can never drink again. I've had my fair share of bad drinking experiences in college, but something about a night of Irish car bombing has made me sick even at the smell of Guinness. I've heard someone have something similar with Doritos: ate it one night when drinking too much and can never eat them again.

So you're one of the Real IRA? Cool. British rule is oppressive and needs to end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omagh_bombing

The Real IRA's tactics were the same as those of the IRA before it. It targeted the British security forces and carried out bombings of symbolic or economic targets. The goal was to damage the economy and cause severe disruption, thereby putting pressure on the British government to withdraw from Northern Ireland.[27] Warnings were sent before such bombings, along with a code word so that the authorities would know it was genuine.

Fred it might just take some time to dial in these new paces.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My sister likes to claim I was switched at birth because she and my parents are big connoisseurs of beer while I hardly touch the stuff.

Confession - I haven't had a beer in possibly 25 years.  I've been gluten-free for a long time now, but even before then I just didn't like the taste.

I'm not sure if this gets me kicked off the thread or not.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

So you're one of the Real IRA? Cool. British rule is oppressive and needs to end.

I assumed he was talking about drinking Irish car bombs (Bailey’s+Jameson’s dropped in a pint of Guinness). But I don’t know people here too well, so who can say.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Fred - learning to dial into paces is tough. How far off were you with pace though? I wouldn't sweat +/- 10 seconds, especially in the summer where it is very hard to figure out what the right pace is.

Darkwave - what is your drink of choice after a successful race? If the answer is water only the rest of the day, then yes, we will kick you off.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Guinness - only alcoholic drink I can never drink again. I've had my fair share of bad drinking experiences in college, but something about a night of Irish car bombing has made me sick even at the smell of Guinness. 

If I didn’t drink anything I ever got sick from in HS or college, I wouldn’t drink anything.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

If I didn’t drink anything I ever got sick from in HS or college, I wouldn’t drink anything.

That's what's so weird about Guinness! Not sure why my body decided that this one drink was the one it would reject.

I literally just got queasy thinking about what it smells like.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred - learning to dial into paces is tough. How far off were you with pace though? I wouldn't sweat +/- 10 seconds, especially in the summer where it is very hard to figure out what the right pace is.

On my two previous, slower runs, I was about 8 - 10 seconds slow, but what distressed me was how hard I felt I was working even at that pace (and summer heat hadn't kicked in yet).  Today I was about 5 - 7 seconds fast, but as you said that's OK.  Right now, my gut feeling is the challenge will be to re-train my body so the more ambitious pace feels like my default pace instead of letting myself fall back to my old HM pace - but that's one of the things training is all about, isn't it?

I like water after races.  I also like chocolate milk (or strawberry milk), though not immediately afterwards.  If I'm hungry enough to go out to dinner after a race, a margarita is nice, especially the salt on the rim of the glass.

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac I believe she is a vodka tonic drinker. Perhaps it was Gin, but 2015 was a LOOOOOOONG time ago.

Dave It was a joke. Every March there is an article about "don't order an Irish Car Bomb because it hurts people's feelers" and since he said "a night of irish car bombing" instead of "drinking irish car bombs" it was a logical conclusion he just went out blowing up cars drinking Guinness. Perhaps I was wrong to assume "irish car bombing" wasn't actually bombing cars, and was just a night of drinking. I'll add it to the list of things I get wrong.

Interpreting what people say as literal.

Fred I always find it hard to avoid those "older" slower paces especially when I first try to figure out the new ones. I've never been gifted with the ability to just speed up and figuring out "how it feels" was something JMac suggested I do back when I was training for Chicago. Maybe a fartlek could help out if you aim for that new target pace a few times to see how fast it is outside of a traditional workout.

DW I don't think anyone on Mount Rushmore is allowed to be kicked out.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave - what is your drink of choice after a successful race? If the answer is water only the rest of the day, then yes, we will kick you off.

It used to be an offensively girly drink - think something with an umbrella and a maraschino cherry.  And after both the good and the sucky races.

Sadly I got told that because of the ulcerative colitis stuff I shouldn't drink any alcohol anymore.  So now I'm an abstainer (and a convenient designated driver)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred I always find it hard to avoid those "older" slower paces especially when I first try to figure out the new ones. I've never been gifted with the ability to just speed up and figuring out "how it feels" was something JMac suggested I do back when I was training for Chicago. Maybe a fartlek could help out if you aim for that new target pace a few times to see how fast it is outside of a traditional workout.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a tendency to settle back into old comfort zones.  I have the benefit of an RP who is faster than me so he can handle the new pace a bit better.  He's also a pretty steady runner, so when I run with him it's harder for me to fall off the pace, though he's also aware of how I'm running and the fact I'm 5 years older than him, so sometimes he slows down to accommodate me just when I need him to keep pulling me along (and from running with my son, I understand how it can be more work to pull someone along, so I don't blame my RP).

Running Problem

Problem Child

Fred Sounds like you have a good running partner. use him. Ask him to set pace a few times so you can figure it out. I've done this with friends working towards goals. Sort of a "you drive, and I'll come along for the ride" mentality.

dwave so would you consider yourself "sober" or is that term more for people who quit drinking due to an inability to control it?

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I am highly suspicious of your orange American cheese.  Is it radioactive?

It's nutritionally devoid and a "pasteurized process cheese product" instead of actual cheese. So I'm going with "yes" and applaud your suspicion.

Flavio - I steadfastly refuse to discuss Julia Roberts further, outside of saying I think every single aspect of her is overrated.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I assumed he was talking about drinking Irish car bombs (Bailey’s+Jameson’s dropped in a pint of Guinness). But I don’t know people here too well, so who can say.

Wow, I’ve never heard of that drink and I grew up in Belfast!  I hate Guinness, beer and whiskey.

Give me a glass of rose wine or a gin and tonic in the summer and I’ll be happy as a pig in shit.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)