Garmin crashing the computer (Read 609 times)

A Saucy Wench

Has anyone had this problem?  On my old computer I was having problems with the computer not seeing the garmin (205) but on the new one I was having problems with it crashing the whole computer as soon as I connected it to USB.  Changed the cable and it seemed fine for awhile but now it is crashing it again.  The cradle is really old and I was wondering if it might be the issue.  I should have a newer cradle around somewhere but haven't been able to find it and dont really want to spend money looking. 

(can I use that for my pathetic excuse for a log?)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Has anyone had this problem?  On my old computer I was having problems with the computer not seeing the garmin (205) but on the new one I was having problems with it crashing the whole computer as soon as I connected it to USB.  Changed the cable and it seemed fine for awhile but now it is crashing it again.  The cradle is really old and I was wondering if it might be the issue.  I should have a newer cradle around somewhere but haven't been able to find it and dont really want to spend money looking. 

(can I use that for my pathetic excuse for a log?)

I had this happen at work when I pluggin in my 305 Edge to upload a bike ride. I can't remember exactly what caused it, but I think it was some MS security update that got loaded automatically. I went and restores the computer back to a time when I knew it didn't crash. Its not the cradle because the 305 Edge doesn't use a cradle.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

A Saucy Wench

I had this happen at work when I pluggin in my 305 Edge to upload a bike ride. I can't remember exactly what caused it, but I think it was some MS security update that got loaded automatically. I went and restores the computer back to a time when I knew it didn't crash. Its not the cradle because the 305 Edge doesn't use a cradle.

Oh, so like everything else "fuck microsoft" is the answer. 

Maybe it's time to install the garmin plugins on the laptop.  It's old.  I wonder where it is?

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Just try rolling your computer back with the "backup and restore center" to a time when you know you could upload your Garmin. Then try and figure out what security update from MS is at fault. Or say "fuck Microsoft" and just use your old laptop.

I also now use a different USB port since the crashing episodes but I'm not sure that had anything to do with it. I was using a USB from my monitor and now use one from the tower.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

A Saucy Wench

Just try rolling your computer back with the "backup and restore center" to a time when you know you could upload your Garmin. Then try and figure out what security update from MS is at fault. Or say "fuck Microsoft" and just use your old laptop.

I also now use a different USB port since the crashing episodes but I'm not sure that had anything to do with it. I was using a USB from my monitor and now use one from the tower.

This computer was born with the problem so I guess it  is probably out of luck (computer is only a couple months old)

I don't have a Garmin, nor a Wndows PC, but I found this thread:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=2416

Running in Belgium
              Ann

A Saucy Wench

Thanks...I'll try that.  Easy to reinstall if necessary.

....and it is necessary....  oh well