Asics Gel Artic WR (Read 1094 times)

I am looking at these shoes for the winter - I had a major problem with last year's icebugs - this year's icebugs are still really hard. Has anyone run in these? Traction? Cushion? I'm in Nike Zoom Elite right now and wondering how these will compare. Thanks

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I haven't tried any true Winter running shoes, but I am planning on getting the NB 921 in a month or two. They have removable ice spikes, tread that is supposed to shed snow well, and cushion that stays soft in cold conditions. Last year I ran in my 767s (all weather model) and the cushion would go really hard in the cold, plus the outsole material was slick. I ran once in the snow with backroadrunner and her Asics 2120s had much better traction in the snow. Here are the NB shoes: I figure even if I don't use the spikes they should work better in the snow than what I had previously been using.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I've used stabilicers in years past, but this year I think that I am just going to put some screws into the bottom of an older pair of shoes. If you use screws with hex heads then you will get a nice bite.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I am looking at these shoes for the winter -
          Isn't it really cold there in AK?!?!?!?!?!?? come December? I was there in the summer of 2000 and it was nice and cool, but I couldn't imagine the winter.

Vim

My DH just screwed his shoes too (sorry, couldn't resist). He took a pair that he didn't mind sacraficing and put screws in the bottoms. Just make sure you use screws with short threads, you don't want to know that they are there other than keeping you on you feet and off your bttom. I'm sure he'll be on later to add his two cents.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I thought about the screws thing and we actually bought some last year. But given how hard the cushioning in my shoes gets (and I have heard from others with the same shoe that theres also get rock hard) I figure it's worth giving the winter trainers a try. I'll do the screw thing if they aren't any better in the cold. k

~ Sarah Kay

PWL

Has been

My DH just screwed his shoes too (sorry, couldn't resist). He took a pair that he didn't mind sacraficing and put screws in the bottoms. Just make sure you use screws with short threads, you don't want to know that they are there other than keeping you on you feet and off your bttom. I'm sure he'll be on later to add his two cents.
                They've worked pretty well for me too. Just make sure you use short ones or you'll end up with painful hot spots when you run or worse yet, screw holes in your foot. I almost bought the Asics Gel Artic WR last year though--it was very comfy!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

With the air pocket in the Nike's, I'm reluctant to add screws. Modal - way cold already - down to 15 with WCF last run - i'm prepared, although I'm starting to look more like a speed skater than a runner Tongue In your kind of heat - there is only so much you can remove, KWIM Big grin. Cold is also the reason to have a little more thermal type shoe, and I am determined to be outside as much as possible this winter. Blaine - I've seen the stabilicers, but I need lots of toe box room, and I find they are too snug - especially since my regular shoes have the lighter weight mesh fabric. Zoomy, our conditions are more ice than snow - the ice bugs were awesome as far as traction went, and I was going for a similar stud pattern. Etapli61 - umm, sorry ? Big grin PWL - I also thought they felt pretty comfortable I guess I will go ahead and try them. Expecting snow that sticks by next week. I'll let you know how they work out. thanks for the input Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy, our conditions are more ice than snow - the ice bugs were awesome as far as traction went, and I was going for a similar stud pattern.
                    Ahhh...gotcha. Yeah, the Asics shoe does appear to have more in the way of the spikes. We get sort of 50/50 snow and ice on our roads. I figure anything is better than what I had last year. I'll let you know how the NBs work once I run on some icy surfaces with them. I'd consider the Asics, but I'm guessing they will be too narrow for my duck feets. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Not a woman's specific shoe - men's sizes only - didn't help - still wearing big size shoe Roll eyes You may want to try them on - might be surprised

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...and men's shoes tend to be wider, right? My concern would be the fit through the heel. Those Kayanos I had were wides and STILL too narrow through the forefoot, but my heels slipped a bit. k

~ Sarah Kay

narrower heels is part of what makes a shoe specific for a woman - narrow heels + wider forefoot try em Smile

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

narrower heels is part of what makes a shoe specific for a woman - narrow heels + wider forefoot try em Smile
                            That's why I think they might not work for me. If a women's Asics shoe was too wide in the heel, then I have a feeling that a men's wouldn't work at all. I'll have to see if anyone carries them for me to try on--I've had good luck buying NBs sight-unseen (except for that 1000 that had that strangely cut heel that I have read others had rubbing issues with), but after bad luck with those Kayanos I am leery to try anything else without first trying them on and running around in a store. k

~ Sarah Kay

gotcha - thought you needed the wider heel - hope you find something that works for you Smile

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, I have duck feet...narrow heels, really wide forefoot. Makes finding shoes that fit a real PITA! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay