26.2 with Donna Virtual Half Marathon (Read 763 times)

peggya111

My friend Deb is fighting BC. She is one of the sweetest and bravest people I know. I hadn't run that distance before, but I have been pretty faithful to run 4x a week and have been slowly increasing my long runs. I did 10 miles last week, so was hesitant to do another long run less than a week later. But, the weather forecast looked really good and when I talked with Deb about it, she seemed so grateful and happy about it. So, I registered and picked today to run. The weather was awesome - beautiful, sunny and perfect temps in the 40's. I decided to run on a local parkway trail that extended several miles in each direction. I had two fuel belts (still can't decide which one I like better). Left one in the car and headed south for 3.1 miles, turned around and ran back to the car, switched fuel belts, took off the fleece hoodie (it was cool when I started) and headed north for the next leg, then back again til I got the 13.1 miles. I walked and ran (no way I can run the whole thing yet...) and just figured if I kept moving, I would get there. When I got to 11 miles, I knew I could finish strong. 12 miles was even more exhilarating as I thought of my friend Deb. She is going through a lot more than just putting one foot in front of the other. I am really glad I was able to complete the run. I am also grateful the 26.2 with Donna people decided to open the race to anyone that could get their hands on a GPS type device (I have a Garmin 205). It made it so lots more could participate. I would do it again. thanks for listening...
    Upcoming Races Disneyland Half AF Halloween Fun Run Disney World Half Ogden Marathon (I think...)
    xor

Good for you, Peggy! And thanks for the donation. I hope Deb is doing well. I was at the Donna run in Jacksonville on Sunday. It was a great day.

Read your post before heading out for an eight mile run, and was thinking about it most of the way. Decided to extend my course, and see how I felt when I reached home at ten miles. I knew if I was still feeling OK at 10 that I would do six more laps of the block to make it a half marathon. Running a distance for the first time is always great, running for a stretch goal and a great cause is even better Peggy. Thanks for the inspiration, and congratulations to you.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

congrats and prayers for your friend Deb. BTW -- I didn't see this as a 1/2 marathon PR Wink

2012= under-goaled