What Makes A Race Fast or Slow (Read 247 times)

out of all the things that go into a race, especially a marathon or half, what do you think has the greatest impact on it being a "fast" race where you have a better than average chance at a PR vs a "slow" race where you should expect to take longer to finish?  Any articles or studies you can remember that talk about the various factors like altitude, temperature, event size (if it is a really big event you might get stuck behind people or weaving), crowd support/entertainment on course?

For me,

I think crowd support can have a huge affect but for those that run with headphones does that affect you as much?

I like gentle rolling hills but am not sure where the line is drawn and it goes from a nicely broken up run to too hilly.

My PR's have come when it has been cool out but not windy.

what is most important to you and what doesn't matter?

Feeling the growl again

Hills, temp, wind, competition.  Roughly in that order, you can re-order them if any one of them is especially extreme.  Anything else is in your head.  My HM and marathon PRs had fewer than half a dozen spectators on the entire course.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

an amazing likeness

Of course, where I'm at physically is #1..by a long way. Some days "it" is there, other's just a fast training run is all that's in the cards.

Then...Mental strength and focus.

From there, course is next in terms of hills, footing, etc.

Then weather...temp & wind, rain, snow.

...spectators are about #43 in the list.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Pace booty can be high on the list. I'm just sayin'

You people have issues 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Hills, temp, wind, competition.  Roughly in that order, you can re-order them if any one of them is especially extreme.  Anything else is in your head.  My HM and marathon PRs had fewer than half a dozen spectators on the entire course.

milktruck

an amazing likeness

...spectators are about #43 in the list.

Spectators? They do not exist on trails.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

KenAVL

hills slow down the whole field.

temperature, particularly in a long race.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'll guess my list (admittedly cheating and starting with spaniel's)

• terrain
                • wind & temperature
                • competition
                • various minor stuff I can't be bothered to list

Breaking down terrain:

1. hills
                2. ground surface (following is my guess from fast to slow)
                  1. rubber track
                  2. paved
                  3. dirt road
                  4. forest trail
                  5. sand
                  6. mud or significant snow
                  7. water (more than a foot deep and this is a HUGE factor)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Carbonation, burping, and volume are huge issues.  At least in the beer mile.

I'll guess my list (admittedly cheating and starting with spaniel's)

• terrain
                  • wind & temperature
                  • competition
                  • various minor stuff I can't be bothered to list

Breaking down terrain:

1. hills
                  2. ground surface (following is my guess from fast to slow)
                    1. rubber track
                    2. paved
                    3. dirt road
                    4. forest trail
                    5. sand
                    6. mud or significant snow
                    7. water (more than a foot deep and this is a HUGE factor)

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

jfa

All of the above are good points.

What I have learned recently is that it also has so much to do with confidence.

You have to really believe you're trained well enough to hit your goal, you can't just will it.

If you're not 100% confident, you will make excuses and fail.

eddiegotsole

Pavement Shredder

out of all the things that go into a race, especially a marathon or half, what do you think has the greatest impact on it being a "fast" race where you have a better than average chance at a PR vs a "slow" race where you should expect to take longer to finish?  Any articles or studies you can remember that talk about the various factors like altitude, temperature, event size (if it is a really big event you might get stuck behind people or weaving), crowd support/entertainment on course?

For me,

I think crowd support can have a huge affect but for those that run with headphones does that affect you as much?

I like gentle rolling hills but am not sure where the line is drawn and it goes from a nicely broken up run to too hilly.

Gavin,

Wow, I just joined this forum and didn't expect to see you on here.  I agree that altitude / elevation definitely is a factor, as well as getting stuck in crowds and weather.  One factor not mentioned is the number of turns and out and backs on a course.  To me its a terrible distraction when there's too much change of direction and can make it hard to get into a running groove.  One example I have is the Pasadena Marathon (which is no longer being run).  Way too many out and backs on that one!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Carbonation, burping, and volume are huge issues.  At least in the beer mile.

Remembering to turn at the turns in the later quarters is also important Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Remembering to turn at the turns in the later quarters is also important Smile

Miss the turns at Spaniel Farms Beer Mile and you're off into the weeds....coyote bait....

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

For me,

I often race with headphones but not always; crowd support doesn't make much difference to me in terms of my performance. In general, the most significant factors seem to be training (duh), temperature (I do go much faster in cooler weather), and competition. In the half mile (of a 5k) or mile (10K-HM), I focus on how many female runners I can pass (this determines my point count in the state Grand Prix competition). If someone tries to pass me, I really speed up!

That said, courses with lots of turns and/or with hills tend to be a bit slower.

eddiegotsole

Pavement Shredder

I know a lot of people say that running with headphones helps a lot and makes them faster, honestly for me it messes with my rhythm.  I know there are specialized runners music out there that is at the right BPM for your cadence (http://www.hellasound.com) but for the most part, if I'm listening to music while I'm running then I want to listen to what I want to listen to.

I have noticed in the past that when running with music I can get into such a groove that my pace actually slows down, though I haven't actually run with music in years aside from a treadmill.  I just find I perform better without it!