AHA Wall street 3 Miler yesterday (Read 747 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I ran the American Heart Association 3m race in Wall Street NYC for the third year. This year, depite the rain at the start (which magically clear up for 90% of the race!) I managed to shave 19 seconds off my last year time! that's a LOT on such a short race! I ended up 18:57 (6:19 pace) and was number 136 out of 4301 people. Pretty pleased with that one. I think all my winter training/x-training helped. I did a number of indoor triathlons put on by a local specialty running store, and that worked to keep me super motivated and off the couch. Now I need to lose 5 lbs and drop that closer to a 6 pace, but we'll see. Good to have goals!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Lane

I think all my winter training/x-training helped. I did a number of indoor triathlons put on by a local specialty running store, and that worked to keep me super motivated and off the couch.
      Congrats. That must be satisfying. How/where is an indoor triathlon done?
        I ended up 18:57 (6:19 pace) and was number 136 out of 4301 people.
        Congratulations! Not really a good race for a fast pace, with all the twisty turns and pot-holes, so double congratulations. It was a pity that so many people bailed, since the weather turned out nice in the end - not sure if you were running slow enough to notice, but the sunset over the Hudson at the finish was wonderful. I came DFL in my age-group - however, I had elected to walk with a friend since I was benched from running with an injury, so I do have something of an excuse!

ultramarathon/triathlete

Thanks! As for the indoor tri Jackrabbit sports in NYC puts a series on. It's broken out like this (with transition times not counting as overall time): 1. Swim as many laps in 10 minutes as you can. They have someone at the end of each lane counting your laps 2. go change and go to spinning room. 30 minutes on bike with a bike computer. again, how far can you go, resistances does not help you, so you spin fast and free 3. switch shoes (if you used clipless pedals) and go to the treadmill. 20 minutes, again, as far as you can go. then each activitiy is awarded 100 max points. 100 points to furthest number of swim laps 100 for furthest bike miles 100 for furthest treadmiles 300 total (no one gets that). then points for all others are broken out depending on number of others. Last place person gets zero points for whatever leg they are last in. for instance, if 3 people competed: 1st gets 100 pnts, 2=50 3=0. they totall all three legs up and the most overall wins. I won mine so I got invited to the championship. it's really fun and a good winter xtraining... if you're in the NYC area I highly suggest you check it out. $50.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team