Pfitzinger Question (Read 137 times)

GinnyinPA

Pfitz question:  I'm about to start Pfitz for my next marathon (18/55). He includes three 8-15k races in the last half.  We don't have a lot of races around here, especially in winter. The only 8k and 15k races that I know about both take place in April - too late to do any good.  There is a HM I can do 6 weeks before race day, but that would require at least a little taper and recovery. So, do I do LT runs instead of the races? Just run the mileage for the day as regular easy/aerobic runs? Run 5ks, if I can find any? I'd like to do the HM so I have some idea about my fitness after 12 weeks of training, but if that is going to screw with the rest of my training, I'm not sure it's worth it.

On my three previous marathons, I used Higdon Intermediate 2, so I did all my miles either easy or MP. This is the first time I'll be doing any speed work during marathon training so I really don't know how I'll handle it, along with increasing miles.

I am not a training expert, I can just tell you what I did. I used the 70mpw plan 3 times. The tough part for me in some cases was finding races on Saturdays - a Sunday race will definitely screw up that schedule, because he likes to give you an LR the day after the race. At various times I did 5k, 10k, and HM, because I wanted to race different distances. When I made it an HM, I did add a mini-taper/recovery. In which case it was OK for the race to be on Sunday. If you can't find a race, I would certainly just sub a time trial, or LT run of comparable distance.

This is going to be a pretty big jump from no speed work to a Pfitz plan. His plans are pretty tough (although I'm not as familiar with the 55mpw plan). I think speed work is harder on the body than higher mileage; increasing both at the same time is risky. But you do have plenty of running history so you might be OK.

Dave

Feeling the growl again

Races with competition are ideal to push yourself, but don't over-think this.  Time trials are just fine.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mattw4jc

I did two half marathons when I first did the 18/70 plan. I didn't really taper, but did an easy pace on the runs leading up to it. I got PRs in both of those races. The high mileage I was doing helped me to recover pretty quickly and I was still able to handle the long run the day after the race. I may have done a time trial or tempo for one of them, or just not worried about it.

I say do the half and taper a bit if you feel you need it. Otherwise do a LT or time trial on your own. These training plans from any coach are never set in stone. You are allowed to mold them to your needs. I rarely have a full week of doing exactly what the plan says to do.

I am now on week 5 of the 18/70 plan for a March marathon. I've already shifted some miles from one run to another and moved a MP run so I could run long with some running buddies on that Sunday.

DoppleBock

Amen ... and if all you have is a 5k ... do it.

Races with competition are ideal to push yourself, but don't over-think this.  Time trials are just fine.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

two options for the 1/2 marathon

Run 10 miles at marathon pace and then run the last 5k hard.

Or

Run the 1st 5-7 miles at easy pace and then race it in.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

GinnyinPA

two options for the 1/2 marathon

Run 10 miles at marathon pace and then run the last 5k hard.

Or

Run the 1st 5-7 miles at easy pace and then race it in.

But then I don't get to use the race to determine race pace for the marathon.

But then I don't get to use the race to determine race pace for the marathon.

Yeah, I would vote to race your half all-out. You have 6 weeks to recover for the marathon which is plenty. And a mini-taper/recovery is not going to set back your training. I would generally cut out the last hard workout before the race and the first one after, and consider the race (plus warmup/cooldown) to be your LR for the weekend. Just be cautious on the recovery side; racing a half is serious business.

I've generally not had my best HM races during marathon training, presumably due to not being very fresh. Other people have different experiences.

Dave

This came up in the RW forums a few times.

General consensus was a TT was the 'best' substitute, esp. if you can find someone or a group to help pace you.

If you can only find a longer race (e.g., HM), you always have the option of running the first 5K (or so) easy and then 'racing' the last 15K. Alternatively, if you can only find a 5K, do a tempo run on the course aiming to get back to the start line as close as possible to starting time (yes, that can be tricky depending on size of race, but being off a bit shouldn't be a big deal).

bhearn

Personally I would go with the half to get a good predictor for Boston. But people are different with recovery. You would have to tweak the schedule a bit, but that's fine.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Personally I would go with the half to get a good predictor for Boston. But people are different with recovery. You would have to tweak the schedule a bit, but that's fine.

+1

I always felt the half was the best fitness predictor.  Even all out racing shouldn't require more than a couple days for recovery.  I'd much rather race it and take a few easy days afterwards before really getting back on the training horse.

You people have issues 

slingrunner

The races serve a few purposes.  They help get you mentally prepared.  They make for a good workout.  And most importantly, they give you some good feedback on pacing.  I'm very analytical, and I have used the results of my 10ks and all of my training notes,  to correctly peg my marathon finishing time within a 3 minute window for my last 4 marathons.

My suggestion would be to try and do 5ks then if possible.  If you keep good enough notes, you should still be able to make some prediction for your marathon pace based on it.  I also think the half marathon might be a reasonable compromise.  I would definitely race it full out.  You'll want to make the week of the race an easy one, as well as the week afterward... I believe pfitz even talks about half marathons in Advanced Marathoning and isn't negative about it.  If you have bad luck on the weather though, then you've lost your data.

A 10K time trial is only useful if you have the personality that you will really be able to race it legitimately.  That's hard to do.

Transitioning from Higdon to Pfitz, in general expect that you may need to slow down the pace on your recovery ones if you are doing more speed work than you are used to.  Also do your best with the speed work, but don't panic if you struggle with the long marathon runs or the long tempo runs.  During my last training cycle, I failed at nearly every important long run, and my paces were slower than before, but I wound up with an 8 minute PR.  The interval work later on in the program will tell you if your goal is really too hard.  My failures were always weather related, and though heat won't be a factor, the weather will be in PA now (on that note, fellow Pennsylvanian about to hop on the treadmill, because no way I'm running outside right now after 14 miles there yesterday in the dark wind)!

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

runethechamp

Race a half (or other distance) with no taper, but maybe make sure you have an easy day the day before. I've felt surprisingly good racing this way, whether its been in a training program for a full or a half. I wouldn't even worry about making the week before or the week after easier, the week after might just feel a little bit harder than usual.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it