New to tempo - possible missmatched VDOT (Read 1397 times)

SMART Approach

To quote a guy named Malmo, tempo running should leaving you feeling invigorated. If you are fried you ran them too hard. I think, when in doubt, run them a tad slower rather than too hard as running too hard in training will affect recovery and also cause you to possibly go into anaerobic stimulus when this is not the goal of a tempo. A progressive tempo run sort of protects you in this regard. Also, so do the repetition tempos. If you go out too fast in first interval, you will know it and can regroup a bit with the short rest period and learn from it. On traditional tempo, if you start too fast, the rest of the work out probably won't be too fun as you may have an early anaerobic stress or overload that may be too difficult to overcome to complete an effective and worthwile work out with a specific goal in mind.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Mr R

Daniels' tempo runs are, indeed, quite fast. What most people miss, is that for the pace to be appropriate, they need to be run under nearly identical circumstances. If you ran a track 5k in 55 degree weather, 6 months ago, while you were peaking, that can lead you to run a tempo that is much too tough in 80 degree weather, on the roads, during your late base phase. The other thing about Daniels' LT runs, is that they're quite short. I know people who want to run a 40 minute tempo without modifying their speed. That's a brutal workout.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Daniels' tempo runs are, indeed, quite fast. What most people miss, is that for the pace to be appropriate, they need to be run under nearly identical circumstances. If you ran a track 5k in 55 degree weather, 6 months ago, while you were peaking, that can lead you to run a tempo that is much too tough in 80 degree weather, on the roads, during your late base phase. The other thing about Daniels' LT runs, is that they're quite short. I know people who want to run a 40 minute tempo without modifying their speed. That's a brutal workout.
        that's one thing I missed. I was doing some reading last night and Daniels says to ease up on your pace when doing longer tempo runs. Once they get to an hour long, you're basically at marathon race pace. a 35 minute tempo run for a guy like me should be about 20ish seconds slower than a 20 minute tempo run.

SMART Approach

Yes those longer tempos are extremely effective and not as hard on body.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

that's one thing I missed. I was doing some reading last night and Daniels says to ease up on your pace when doing longer tempo runs. Once they get to an hour long, you're basically at marathon race pace. a 35 minute tempo run for a guy like me should be about 20ish seconds slower than a 20 minute tempo run.
            You must have missed my modification of one of my responses where I highlighted this. Sounds like you read something similar to what I was citing. In my version of Daniels (2nd edition), he recommends the following modifications to T-pace for your VDOT of 37: Tempo Time / Pace 20:00 / T 25:00 / T+6 30:00 / T+ 11~12 35:00 / T+ 14~15 40:00 / T+ 17~18 45:00 / T+ 20~21 50:00 / T+ 22~24 55:00 / T+ 24~27 60:00 / T+ 26~30 60:00+ / T+34 (M-pace)

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

You must have missed my modification of one of my responses where I highlighted this. Sounds like you read something similar to what I was citing. In my version of Daniels (2nd edition), he recommends the following modifications to T-pace for your VDOT of 37: quote> Yep, saw that on your post. Had read it at one point and it had slipped my mind when I was making my schedule. So now that my question has been answered, I've got a question based solely on intellectual curiosity. How do the physiological changes/benefits that stem from doing my tempo run at the original 8:40 for 35 minutes differ from the changes/benefits of doing it at the slower pace?
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

So now that my question has been answered, I've got a question based solely on intellectual curiosity. How do the physiological changes/benefits that stem from doing my tempo run at the original 8:40 for 35 minutes differ from the changes/benefits of doing it at the slower pace?
                I'd say you got one hell of a workout. You were running right at your lactate threshold for an extended period of time. Drawback is that, like you mentioned, you were very spent afterwards, as it was almost like a 10k race for you, meaning that you'll require more recovery than you would have at the prescribed pace.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

SMART Approach

I have been in contact with Dr. Daniels and he faxed me his tempo charts. They are aggressive. Very doable, but for low mileage runners, these are tough work outs. I am low mileage yet very experienced yet I wouldn't want to do 60 min work at MP. 40 min yes during a mid week 7-8 miler but not 60 min. But, that is just from a 20 miles per week runner who is not a spring chicken. But, do know how this work out feels and it is too tough for me to recover from on a regular basis.

Maybe this is cheating, but I use a HRM for feedback. I don't like the idea of "20~30 minutes at a pace you could race for 40~60 minutes" because I never really know on a given day what that pace is. Is this the speed at which I would drop dead at 60 minutes? By contrast, if I get myself into the "tempo" HR zone, then I know that I can hang on for at least 25 -30 minutes w/o going overboard. If I see the HR jump too high, then I know I'm getting carried away (which is a problem of mine). If it falls too low, I know I'm wimping out. I know I know I know it's not an exact science and I use the HRM only as a guide. Still, I like it . . .