A sort of non-meat-hi carb-active person diet (Read 976 times)

I thought I was the only one! I lived off a combination of mac-n-cheese, tuna, and green beans or peas or broccoli when I was in college. DH thinks I'm a freak cause I still make it every once in awhile. To the OP, fish (esp white fish like haddock or tilapia) can be very inexpensive to buy and you can often find single fillets in the freezer at the grocery store. I also second the chili suggestion, it's really pretty cheap to make a giant pot of chili that will last for awhile, and you could freeze it for later too. I don't konw what your freezer space is, but another good option is to check out your local meat shop and see if they offer bulk packages...if you have the freezer space that's a great way to save money.
    ha ha, actually that sounds exactly like something I would make! Tasty, i think I will try that lol Smile Fish sounds good, I always thought that would be more expensive than regular meat. I like fish. I will look for that next time I'm at geegle, thanks! Smile
      I am in college and my cooking skills are a bit limited. I rarely buy meat because it's too expensive, and have been surviving on cereal, salad, and lots and lots of rice. I also make barley and couscous. And to get my protein I have tuna and canned beans and chic peas. That's pretty much the extent of my diet. Just wondering if for a semi-active person (PT in the AM 4 days a week consisting of either running, sprints or a whole crapload of pushups and other grass drills) and then biking to school and home, and getting my 30 mpw, if this is a good enough diet. I seem to be suriving, just exhausted all the time, but I'm not really blaming that on my diet. I usually make for the week, a bowl of rice, add the beans and chic peas and tuna, and eat it in a wrap or pita. I haven't had anything much different than that (I'm not a picky eater by any means, all mixed up tastes fine to me.) I also have lunch meat once in a while on salads. Does anyone have any other suggestions for cheap food that is easy to cook and good for an active person? Something that will get protein without being meat? Thanks Smile
      I am lazy and hate to cook-so I tend to get bored with food as I eat the same things over and over...but lately I have been in love with Trader Joe's "Whole Grain Blend (or something very close to that)." It is in their rice isle-really easy to make, just boil with water or broth of your choice. There is couscous and other grains in it- 8 gr of protein per serving. That with a side of cooked greens has been my favorite meal right now! Great sources of protein and iron (the greens). Also, today after my 10 mile run I was craving a smoothie-1 cup milk, 1 TBSP Ghirardelli's cocoa powder, banana and ice-blend. Again, 8 grams of protein (and only 220 calories, and tasted like desert!). MTA: and other than the Ghirardelli's cocoa powder, all very cheap!

Craig

No one mentioned eggs and dairy? They work for me. The tuna and chili suggestions are good and don’t give up on the peanut butter, just limit yourself to 1-2 tablespoons. My favorite non-meat protein sources: Eggs, dairy (nonfat milk, cheese, nonfat yogurt especially greek yogurt which has twice the protein and typically no added sugar), nuts, peanut butter, beans with rice or pasta (and add some vegetables), hummus (I like it with raw broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, squash). Trader Joe’s has good options and prices for most of these and frozen vegetables. For meat options there is the fast food value menus and grilled chicken wraps. These can be higher in fat, but are a cheap source of protein and can satisfy meat cravings without overdoing quantity if you have just 1 or 2 items. You may also find some good options in your school cafeteria.

running yogi

No one mentioned eggs and dairy? They work for me. The tuna and chili suggestions are good and don’t give up on the peanut butter, just limit yourself to 1-2 tablespoons.
          I love eggs. They are the easiest and fastest most nutritious things I know to eat. I can have an egg for any meal of the day and in any way. My favorite is vege stuffed omlet, that I usually have for lunch. The most easiest is hard boiled eggs that takes 7 minutes to cook 4 eggs in my microwave egg-cooker.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I hope the eggs are from pastured chickens...
            mark-bixler

Or better yet, use an egg substitute...Thay way you don't have to worry about if the chickens were free-range or wire-crated...

Listen. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some. That's the marathon business.

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Or better yet, use an egg substitute...Thay way you don't have to worry about if the chickens were free-range or wire-crated...
                The comment about pastured chickens has nothing to do with ethics or morality. It has everything to do with health. Eggs that come from pastured chickens are better for you than those coming from penned chickens or chickens eating "feed". The fatty acid and cholesterol profile is much more favorable. Egg substitutes, generally, are processed "food", and it is unclear what they do to your body.

running yogi

Yes they are. I get mine from a local farmer who feeds his chicken lots off greens. They cost me an arm and a leg, but they taste so good, I would not have it any other way.
                    The comment about pastured chickens has nothing to do with ethics or morality. It has everything to do with health. Eggs that come from pastured chickens are better for you than those coming from penned chickens or chickens eating "feed". The fatty acid and cholesterol profile is much more favorable. Egg substitutes, generally, are processed "food", and it is unclear what they do to your body.
                    I used to raise chickens from when I was like 6 till I left for college. My chickens just fed off the horse pasture. When I gave the neighbors eggs they would always compliment me on how much tastier they were compared to store eggs. Guess the pasture feeding chicken eggs really are better.