I need motivation tips (Read 1022 times)

Of course, you know, this made me just HAVE to go and take a look at your log... Big grin Looks like you've got a lot of variety going on there. Looks good. And wow... can I count a 1 hr massage as a workout too? Wink Sounds nice... Tongue
    Ha, that was actually the massage therapist beating the crap out of the Evil Knot in My Calf, which enabled me to run again. Deep tissue massage is actually great for recovery and whatnot, and if done right you will feel like you were run over by a truck, but in a good way! But that's another thread. Logs are great for training groups and accountability though. They're also nice to keep track of your progress (improved pace times and distances), which are a great motivation factor in themselves.
      I find that I can rarely run at night because I'm too tired and hungry after work to put off dinner, so for me it has to be in the a.m. Alas, I don't have the answers, but here's something that works for me (sometimes) to get out of bed in the morning and go running: As I lie there in bed, I tell myself that I should just go for a couple miles and then I can get back in bed for a few minutes when I get back. Invariably, once I'm dressed, fed, and out there running I feel pretty good and awake and I end up doing the full amount on my running plan. Occasionally, however, I really do only go a couple miles, though, and I figure if I feel that lousy on those days then it's probably better not to push it anyways.
      Good advice there. I'm going to start trying that... I have to begin running before work (at 5ish) starting next week, so I too, need motivation. I like this idea vincent had. Unfortunately, I have yet to find another person eager to go out and kick back 5+ miles at 5am... still looking. Sometimes a good motivator for me is a reward. It can be a simple reward too, like stopping at a coffee shop on the way to work and getting a hot drink, or buying some new running socks (ooo... Shocked), sometimes giving myself a little pat on the back is a good incentive.
      "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost
        When I was married, I would set the alarm for 4 AM to run and after I snoozed it for the 5th time, my wife would say, "WTF?! Are you going to get up or not?" Then I would lie there for another five minutes whining about how tired I was until we got into a fight. THEN, I would get up and run because I didn't want to be yelled at anymore. Eighty percent of the time, it worked every time. Now that I am divorced, I am forced to argue with myself. Doesn't work as well. Oh well, hope that helped. Let me know if you would like my ex's number. :-)
          Early mornings are the only realistic times I can run but maybe I can find somebody out there who is willing to run at 5:30 am. Big grin
          Same difficulty here. I need to run in the morning as well and I need massive doses of motivation to crawl out of the warm covers and into the "dark". The only thing that works for me is having a goal. I set my sights on a Half Marathon in October and followed Hal Higdon's training plan (beginners).... that got me out of bed almost every morning. After the race, I found it difficult again, so I signed up for another Half Marathon Dec 16th (It is going to be a frosty one for sure) What am I thinking? Anyway that is what works for me. I will run with you anyday at 5:30 (virtually) since I am in the Northeast. Bruce
            I realize marathon is a very lofty goal but this is the only thing that seems to spark my enthusiasm. SKB
            If the prospect of a marathon "sparks your enthusiam" I would bet having a 10K or half mary on your schedule in the more immediate future would keep you motivated!! I have to have an event on my calendar, no further than 12 weeks away, to keep me on task. Go out a set some personal records at shorter distances to keep you in the moment.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If the prospect of a marathon "sparks your enthusiam" I would bet having a 10K or half mary on your schedule in the more immediate future would keep you motivated!! I have to have an event on my calendar, no further than 12 weeks away, to keep me on task. Go out a set some personal records at shorter distances to keep you in the moment.
              *nods* I'm really worried that I will end up slacking this Winter, since there really aren't any races in the area until Feb. That's quite a few months to have no short term race goals to work towards. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

You can always run in the Virtual races...

Roads were made for journeys...

I will run with you anyday at 5:30 (virtually) since I am in the Northeast. Bruce
                  What a great idea. I'm in Florida- would anyone out there like to join me as an early AM running buddy, and keep each other accountable? (this sounds like a single's add). I like long walks on the beach and am a social drinker. Smile Just kidding. But really, I have yet to find an early bird runner in my area and could use the motivation/encouragement.
                  "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost
                  Scout7

What a great idea. I'm in Florida- would anyone out there like to join me as an early AM running buddy, and keep each other accountable? (this sounds like a single's add). I like long walks on the beach and am a social drinker. Smile Just kidding. But really, I have yet to find an early bird runner in my area and could use the motivation/encouragement.
                    Well, how would we track this? By posting to our logs, I would assume. I don't run every morning, though. I am one of the lucky few who gets to run at lunch since we have a shower and locker room here.
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

You could make a support-group...

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You can always run in the Virtual races...
                        Oh, I definitely plan to do that...though it seems like the last few have fallen on weekends that weren't conducive to running a "race." Though the next couple of months should be pretty quiet. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

Unfortunately, I have yet to find another person eager to go out and kick back 5+ miles at 5am... still looking.
                          Yeah, it's hard to find a running partner with the same schedule.. it's also hard to find someone who is "running compatible"! This is a real tough problem, I think. A partner should be the same pace (approximately) because it's hard on both people when the pace doesn't match. A partner should be a talker, if you are, but silent, if you are. And then there's a variety of running behaviors that can be annoying to some people (spitting, wheezing, flatulence, etc) and hilarious to others (I once had an asst. coach who would pass gas when doing sit-ups.... i mean every single sit-up!). But when you find someone you can run with, it can be extremely motivating. Big grin
                          JakeKnight

As I lie there in bed, I tell myself that I should just go for a couple miles and then I can get back in bed for a few minutes when I get back. Invariably, once I'm dressed, fed, and out there running I feel pretty good and awake and I end up doing the full amount on my running plan. Occasionally, however, I really do only go a couple miles, though, and I figure if I feel that lousy on those days then it's probably better not to push it anyways.
                            I've said this before - but when it comes to motivation, something like what VincenteFrijole wrote has always worked best for me. Just to GO. Out the door. Put on the shoes and say I'm walking to the end of the street. 95% of the time, that turns into a nice 4 or 5 or 7 mile run, even if I didn't want to take the first step. For me, a more critical kind of motivation was the kind to do it *consistently.* And that took time to make happen, and I don't know how it did. Some strange magic. One day I just realized that ... I wanted to run. And again the next day. And that it was taking days off that was the part I really didn't want to do. Not sure how to get there exactly. It took 5 or 6 periods of running over 25 years for it to stick. But now, motivation is rarely an issue. I wouldn't willingly skip running any more than I'd skip sleeping. I think the biggest thing was making it fun ... and then seeing some improvements, and running some really fun races. After my first marathon, I swore I'd never run again, and didn't for years. But the second (Huntsville) was so fun that ... I dunno. I just run now. Can't help it. I think getting there just takes sticking with it for a while. I wish everyone who says that they "hate" running would do it long enough to give it a chance. Same with other kinds of working out, for that matter. Once you're happily addicted, motivation isn't much of a problem. And running was supposed to be nothing but cardio cross training! Smile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------