How long does it take you to warm up? (Read 571 times)

20-30 mns usually

Fat & lazy runner

Usually 1 or 1.5km.

Andy G.

PDoe

About the middle of May.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

robinde

The more miles I put in the longer it takes me to warm up.  When I first started running, it only took about 1/5 mile.  Now it seems to take about 2 to 3.

For your pt test, run a 1/2 mile warm up before your test.  I often run a mile or so warm up before a 5K race.  I think I perform better in the race.

yesterday ran 17mn wu (just short of 2 miles) with couple of short bursts & then last 2-3 mns at race pace.  jumped into starting line with about 4 mns left & was good & ready to go.  I was the only one I noticed (except the frontrunners) who had a good sweat going already.  top 1-2 efforts of the year (5th race)

delicate flower

It usually takes me until mile 3 until I start to feel good.  Of course there are days when I am shot out of a cannon, and there are days when I never get loose.  Two miles of warmup seems about right.  That said, I only warm up for one mile before any race regardless of distance, except that I don't do a warm up for marathons.

<3

I am very conservative (probably too conservative) in my opening pace for races.  but I am going to work on that & make sure I get a better sweat & HR going & move up closer to the front.  with that being said the longer the race, the shorter the wu.  10k & under will do wu more like I did yesterday.

for regular daily runs still takes me 20-30 mns to get into a good breathing pattern

Wandering Wally

2-3 miles normally.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

DoppleBock

Depends on Morning versus lunch versus evening.

Your aerobic system needs a certain amount of time to get into rythm.  The amount of time depends on a lot on your fitness level and how long you have been building and how big you have built your aerobic engine.  4-10 minutes to get into rythm.  There is a point in every run where you feel it get a bit easier when you acheive this rythm (at easy run pace)

Your large leg muscles getting "warm" should take 20-30 minutes.

Most of us run a warm up before we race.  Sounds like you should run easy 10-15 minutes minimum before you start your PT test.

In races 5k-5 miles.  I usually at least run the course once at easy pace to warm up.  This also gives me a look at the course.  In longer races, I like to run from the finish line backward to understand the last couple miles.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Cool Jump Suit

About a mile, maybe a mile and a half.  Depends on the weather.

So bittersweet,
                        This tragedy
                        Won't ask for absolution;
                        This melody,
                        Inside of me,
                        Still searches for solution.
                        A twist of faith,
                        A change of heart
                        Cures my infatuation.
                        A broken heart, 
                        Provides the spark
                        For my determination.

Dream Maker

At least a few miles.

I am always slow to get into the groove, but the higher my weekly miles are, the longer I have to run before I feel smooth and like running is fun on daily runs.

When I'm racing a 5K, I always warm up at least 5K + strides before the start line. That seems to get my body ready to perform.

My first 1/4mi is usually terrible but it seems to get better and I feel great around 3/4-1mi. So far I have been running mostly 2-3 miles 5-6 days a week. Today is the first time in a while I did four, felt great. My problem is this, my reason for getting back into running after slacking off for a while is my annual PT test (Air Force). It seems like it takes me about a mile to fully warm up but the test is only 1.5mi.

It's not really a problem, I passed the test and am continuing to increase my endurance which has the added benefit of increasing my speed. It just had me thinking - for those of you that run more than just a couple miles a day how long does it take you to warm up?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

At least a few miles.

I am always slow to get into the groove, but the higher my weekly miles are, the longer I have to run before I feel smooth and like running is fun on daily runs.

When I'm racing a 5K, I always warm up at least 5K + strides before the start line. That seems to get my body ready to perform.

Myself as well Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

leonasmith1977

Addicted to Running

Around 20 minutes. If i'm feeling pumped up and in the zone after that, I know that it's a good day to beat a personal record.

On bad days however, a 20 minute run may seem like eternity. haha Smile

kcam

I try to be aware of how long it takes me to start feeling like I'm ready to run well during my regular daily training runs.  For races that are not marathons (for me, that means 1/2 marathon and shorter) THAT time is how long I warm up.  It varies a little bit depending on how much mileage I'm doing and for how long I've done it as well as the type of training but it's usually around 25-30 minutes.  For a marathon I don't do any warmup at all, maybe a really easy stride or two after a few minutes of jogging.