Freakin garmin cable (Read 786 times)

So hopefully it's not more broken than it was before because it got thrown across the room hitting my poor kitty in the process, but the stupid thing is NOT working! Ok, so I go to download my runs, the program opens and if I'm lucky enough, it will actually "recognize the connected device" and begin to download. The following has happened three times: it will 100% completely download, and the the box pops up that says "there was a problem communicating, retry..." and it ends up not downloading it. Wtf dude? I bought this as a refurbished thing off ebay, so I'm not surprised Roll eyes but do you think its the cable or the device itself? Anything I can do to fix this? Thanks... MTA: I have the 205...
      Could be dirty contacts on the back of the watch. Mine used to do that periodically. You can clean them w/ a pencil eraser. Could be a lot of stuff... but that's an idea worth trying.
        Sweet, thanks I'll try that!
          The cable that connects to the docking station is just a mini usb cable, so you could just get another one. But it probably is one of the terminals. You can use alcohol and a cotton swab.

an amazing likeness

You can use alcohol and a cotton swab.
            But then what would she use on the Garmin ?! ta-dum-duh

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Thanks mr. truck, just the image i want everyone to have Tongue So nothing has worked so far...I tried cleaning it and stuff. Still can't "communicate with my computer." But the thing charges perfectly fine, so I'm not sure now if it's the watch or the cradle or the cable?? Any thoughts?

an amazing likeness

Charging takes only two of the contacts on the back of the Garmin and the cradle working, it really just requires copper connection for the charge to flow. Communication takes the rest of the pins clean, connected and able to move bits and bytes. I've seen what you're describing once in 3 years, and for me the solution was to (1) make sure the the pins on the back of the Garmin were good and clean, (2) make sure that the matching connectors on the cradle were good and spring-ee and ready to mate up with the pins, (3) check that the Garmin USB driver was installed and working well. If you've done 1 & 2, then I'd recommend removing the Garmin driver (if this is a Windows machine, via the Hardware device manager) and reinstalling the USB driver. Link to Garmin USB drivers: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Garmin's Tech support is Rad. You should call them. I remember having similar issues and I uninstalled everything then reinstalled the driver, reinstalled the program and voila everything worked.

Alrighty, well I reinstalled the driver, and my run got downloaded! Let's see if this keeps up heh. Thanks guys!
                      Garmin's Tech support is Rad. You should call them. I remember having similar issues and I uninstalled everything then reinstalled the driver, reinstalled the program and voila everything worked.
                      They are rad because they get plenty of practice fixing these buggy things. Tongue
                        I dont know if this is what youre talking about or not, but mine will sometimes go through the whole download process and then say something like, "Unable to retrieve data from device. Please try again" I realized that if I open the software first, and then plug the device in, it will work. If I plug in first and let the Garmin open the software it doesnt work.