Best way to continuing training (Read 99 times)

dirtroadrunner

I originally was going to run my first 1/2 next weekend but I have changed it to May 12. I have my next one set for Sept 22 nd. I know I need to just keep running and get my base built up even better. Would it be best to continue how I am with a long run at around 10 miles? And just had more weekly miles? Until closer to the next 1/2.

At this stage, there's nothing you will benefit from more than:

1) more consistency

2) more miles

You don't need to complicate it more than that.  Try to run most days of the week.  Really, the 40-60 minute (or so) easy run is the bread and butter.  Make that an every day habit and it will take you all kinds of places.  Maybe try to do 90 minutes once a week, maybe two hours if you're feeling good.  I wouldn't worry about making it 10 miles.  You might not be running enough during the week to support that.  How do you feel afterwards?

Once you've been consistent (which is in months or years in running, not day or weeks), then you can consider speed work, but I wouldn't worry about it for now.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

dirtroadrunner

The 10 miles is not too bad really. 8 is really good. Thank you for your input, I was thinking that's how to best proceed!

Triterrier

Without knowing what your long run is at this point,  if possible you should try to do a long run of about 13 miles.  That will give you indications of how your body will react to that distance.  Having said that - this run should be at least 3 weeks prior to the race which would be NOW!  If you haven't done a long run of at least 10 miles yet, I would increase your long run by 10% and do that instead.  Better to be a little under prepared than sick or injured.  That is my $.02.  Remember what free advice is worth and best of luck in the race!!!!