Elipitical Trainers: Any point? (Read 2837 times)

Might happen.

I love that they sell a stationary trainer for your mobile elliptical machine.  Although it also makes my head hurt.

A Saucy Wench

Right now I can't do running speed work of any kind.  I do hard intervals on the elliptical and at least get my HR up where it is supposed to be.  I do find it hard to get AS good a workout on the elliptical but it is better than nothing.

Also, I find it is the best warmup.  If I am at all injured a good 10-15 minutes on the elliptical before I run makes a world of difference.  (driving to the gym before running is a huge PITA however).

I can not use a classic elliptical.  We have 2 kinds at my gym, an elliptical and what I believe is called a "cross trainer" which has a much shorter stride.  The elliptical hurts my knees as the stride is way too long for my short legs.  The cross trainer stride is more circular. Kind of X between elliptical and stair climber stride.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I look my best blurry!

I rarely use the elliptical now, but I would not be a runner at all if I hadn't started on that machine.  After five months of regular elliptical workouts, I realized I might be able to run more than a block, and the rest is history.

There you have it! Cool!
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I love that they sell a stationary trainer for your mobile elliptical machine.  Although it also makes my head hurt.

Indeed -- that was lovely.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

WWDKD?

Now that's what I call an AG award. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

L Train

someone told me that it's the closest thing to runnin i can do without causing more impact damage....so for my sanity, i think i'm going to try it here at some point. just goin through that motion (i'm hopin) will slow the rate of my deterioration. on with it.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

an amazing likeness

In my recent experience (as opposed to a long history of experience using elliptical or x-trainers), they helped with cardio fitness, but didn't really do anything in terms of running fitness in the legs.   I used the elliptical for cardio and walking to build the leg strength back to where it was even feasible to jog.

While they are rightfully touted for the low impact, I find that the elliptical machines are really hard on my knees in the loading of the patella tendon they do, or that could just be my style on them which is best described as 'squat and low with handle death grip so you don't fall off'.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I find that the elliptical machines are really hard on my knees in the loading of the patella tendon they do.

ugh...nevermind then.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

Best Present Ever

In my recent experience (as opposed to a long history of experience using elliptical or x-trainers), they helped with cardio fitness, but didn't really do anything in terms of running fitness in the legs.   I used the elliptical for cardio and walking to build the leg strength back to where it was even feasible to jog.

While they are rightfully touted for the low impact, I find that the elliptical machines are really hard on my knees in the loading of the patella tendon they do, or that could just be my style on them which is best described as 'squat and low with handle death grip so you don't fall off'.

I have a chronic knee problem and sometimes use the elliptical when I can't run and can't bear the thought of another 60 minutes running in the pool.  Some of the elliptical machines aggravate my knees and some don't.  I'm honestly not sure what the difference is between the machinces.  I use a big gym that has a number of different brands and models of ellipticals, and if they move them around, I have to try a few to find the ones that don't bug me.  It may be that some of what I call elliptical machines are really x-trainers?  not sure. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Maybe they'll start making kits to convert stationary ellipticals to road machines.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Maybe they'll start making kits to convert stationary ellipticals to road machines.

Put it on a trailer.

But here's some nice photos

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

"run" "2" "eat"

a non-moterised treadmill and a road-ready elliptical.

i shall start saving today for these wonderful pieces of training equipment.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25