Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Jmac will only approve Mark if you run a course that you have used a spirit level on the entire course to confirm absolute level 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac will only approve Mark if you run a course that you have used a spirit level on the entire course to confirm absolute level 

You Kiwis, such jokesters.

Mark sounds like the hills are more manageable if it's not a straight 9% grade for half a mile. I also opened the course map, and I'm way more concerned about that hill around mile 16. That one will be tough, but you can get through it given it's only one hill. Surprisingly, the one that hits just after mile 21 may be mentally the hardest. It's a mile that is straight uphill. Yeah, it's probably only a percent or two grade, but those can be really hard on you that late in a marathon. There is one like that in NYC, and it gets everyone. The key with those low, slow grades is just not to look up, because it can be quite demoralizing.

Anyway, based upon what I'm seeing here, running some MP segments in the 20K range on rolling terrain where you're going up at least 50 feet 5 times will prepare you well.

P.S. - things are definitely weird because right now I don't want to do quality runs and just want to do easy runs. We'll see how long this lasts. I really enjoy one hour long easy runs, it's when you start doing 1:15+ every day it gets to me.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

Keen, thanks for the offer, random online runners are the best! Right now the only ultra on my radar is http://www.devilonthedivideultra.com/ in 2021. You're in OKC right?

A friend was telling me that Sahara dust loud is a normal thing and helps the Amazon rainforest somehow. Now I really need to google and learn.

Regarding training on hills, do it, it can only make you stronger Mark =)

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac wants to do just easy runs and no workouts? Whaaaaa??? Clown world, indeed.
          The longer daily runs do take a bit of getting used to. After that, though, it just all seems to blend together.

Zebano - Yeah, I'm just outside of OKC. Deveil on the Divide looks pretty awesome. I can't decide whether or not I ever want to try a mountain ultra. Most around here are pretty runnable and at low elevations, but going up and over mountains and peaking at 13k+ feet is pretty intimidating to my flatlander self.

The dust cloud thing is a yearly event - but it doesn't always reach Oklahoma (mostly confined to more Gulf Coast states) and it's a good deal larger than usual this year.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

I really enjoy one hour long easy runs, it's when you start doing 1:15+ every day it gets to me.

Yeah, what is with that?  An hour is nice.  Something about 75-80 minutes and the appeal starts to wear off.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah, what is with that?  An hour is nice.  Something about 75-80 minutes and the appeal starts to wear off.

I'm not sure. I feel like 1:30 is when you start getting into medium long run territory, and 60 minutes is a nice easy run. 1:15 is just in the middle. Too short to feel like you got good endurance, too long to feel like an easy/recovery run. It's too bad they're the bread and butter of marathon training. Then again, as Keen points out, I guess it just blends in. I remember running 60 minutes a day for the first time during marathon training a few years ago and felt like it was so much, because I used to only do 5 miles (or about 40 minutes) for my half training.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mark I run with a guy sometimes who is running Rotorua. He ran 2.39 at Tauranga a couple years ago. You guys may be able to work together. I'm sure there will be a few in that time region.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm not sure. I feel like 1:30 is when you start getting into medium long run territory, and 60 minutes is a nice easy run. 1:15 is just in the middle. Too short to feel like you got good endurance, too long to feel like an easy/recovery run. It's too bad they're the bread and butter of marathon training. Then again, as Keen points out, I guess it just blends in. I remember running 60 minutes a day for the first time during marathon training a few years ago and felt like it was so much, because I used to only do 5 miles (or about 40 minutes) for my half training.

Personally, 90 minutes is my sweet spot - anything less than that feels like a short run.  But I also put 90 minutes in the easy territory.

Probably also worth noting that I do my easy runs slower than the majority of posters on this thread.  An easy 10 miles is about 90 minutes for me; an easy 10 is probably closer to 75 minutes for many others here.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That's funny DW, but I guess that makes sense if you're running a slower pace. For marathon runs, 90 minutes is really no man's land for me. I am either running 60ish minute recovery runs, 1:15-1:20 easy runs, 2ish hour runs with quality, or 2:30-2:45 long runs.

Running Problem

Problem Child

That's funny DW, but I guess that makes sense if you're running a slower pace. For marathon runs, 90 minutes is really no man's land for me. I am either running 60ish minute recovery runs, 1:15-1:20 easy runs, 2ish hour runs with quality, or 2:30-2:45 long runs.

2 minutes slower than your PR marathon pace would be 88 minutes for an 11 mile run. 1 miles less is an 80 minute run. I guess I've never understood how 1 mile more would enter you into no man's land. It's just running.

For me personally 90 minutes is when I'm clearing my head, getting in more weekly miles, focusing on running form an just enjoying the run taking me outside. I remind myself I'm currently running at my previous marathon PR pace, and someone else's 5k goal race pace. Sometimes the mental grind of the last mile is the most important part because all I want to do is quit, or find a reason to quit. I can't always hammer out hard miles because I'm pissed off at work. Sometimes I just go out and think about the most RANDOM of things like "what would happen if COVID 19 cancels the 2020 Boston Marathon? Would my 2019 qualifying time be good for 2021 or would they just say EVERYONE has to requalify?"

*back to hiding*

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zebano

Just to point out that we're all at different spots and I had no intention of running a marathon but for me.

Easy/recovery run = 35-40 min, I will usually double

Med Long 75-90 min

Long 90-120 min but up to 150 min is ok (usually happens on group runs).

Workouts usually have a 30 min warmup and 15-25 min cooldown which often -puts them around 70-75 minutes total when it's all said and done.

I'll admit that I should probably up the easy run duration but I feel like my spring build up worked really well and I don't feel like doing more until I have to.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

zeb I never did either and now my easy runs are 45-60 minutes. The endurance helps so much with running and makes recovery feel MUCH BETTER now that I’m doing 5-8 mile runs daily. I started out running because it was a cheap hobby and 20 minutes was long enough.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zebano

Brew - Awesome that you feel stronger. This is probably my memory playing tricks on me but I feel like I can correlate injury to forcing myself to run at least an hour a day whereas I've PRd in the 5k a couple times when I cut the easy runs back and double. I probably need to actually look at my log and see if that holds up.

JamesD

JamesD

Easy run times during this base period, give or take a minute & a tenth of a mile:

Long Mon & every other Fri - 1:46/12.1 miles

Recovery Tues & Sat - 0:55-1:09/6.3-7.7 miles, sometimes strides after

Moderate Weds - 1:32/10.6 miles

I often find that 15 minutes before the end of an easy run of whatever distance, I start thinking about finishing and unconsciously speed up from slow to moderately slow or even moderate pace.  I guess that’s a good sign, as it shows that most of the run really has been at an easy pace.

Book recommendation:  Running the Dream, by Matt Fitzgerald.  A running journalist trains with the Hoka elite group in Arizona for three months in an effort to set a marathon PR and break 2:40 at the age of 46.  DW and DS gave it to me for Father’s Day.

Another steady week for me.  My tempo Friday may have been a little too hard, not so much in terms of speed or distance, as I went only 2 sec/mile faster and 0.5 miles longer than last time, but because of the conditions - TDP 158 and bright sunshine on the track.  Felt ok on today’s recovery run, though.  Have made (refundable) hotel reservations for a small October 10 half in Aiken, South Carolina, about 4 hours drive away.  That’s the race I had planned to run on April 25.  Won’t register for the race (nonrefundable) until a week or two beforehand when I have a better idea whether it’s going to happen.  There are three other possibilities in October & November within a 4-hour drive, but if one is cancelled because of the virus, the others probably will be too.  Looks like a local 5K and 10K will happen in August and September with waves of 20 or so, and I’ll plan to do one or both of them.

Sun - off

Mon - 12.1 miles easy, TDP 153

Tues - 6.9 easy including strides, TDP 159

Weds - 10.7 easy, TDP 149

Thurs - 16 minutes swimming

Fri - 6 on track including 3.5 @ 6:28, TDP 158

Sat - 7.6 easy, TDP 152

Total - about 43.3 miles

12/26/52-week averages - 44/44/37 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

James nice week.

My week pretty good. I did my last 5k type workout on Wednesday. Wasn't amazing but I'm hoping some race adrenalin at Parkrun next week helps. I've had 6 good weeks since my calf injury which really isn't alot but I've made good progress.

Weekly for period: From: 29/06/2020 To 05/07/2020

Date Name Distance
                                in km
                                Duration Avg Pace
                                per km
                                Elevation Gain
                                in m
                                29/06/2020 Bit fast for a monday 😂 9.07 00:50:00 05:31 10
                                30/06/2020 Morning Run 12.03 00:56:44 04:43 8
                                01/07/2020 Morning Run 12.02 01:01:04 05:05 16
                                02/07/2020 With 5k progressive bit 10.30 00:45:43 04:26 8
                                03/07/2020 Morning Run 10.02 00:53:45 05:22 7
                                04/07/2020 Afternoon Run 7.03 00:33:22 04:45 14
                                05/07/2020 Progressive 5.40-3.57/km 20.02 01:35:41 04:47 35

Total distance: 80.49km