Selling rock and roll chicago half marathon bib (Read 244 times)

Resident Historian

This!

F'ing ridiculous organization & prices

I find it easier to just go ahead and ban myself from them.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

JimR

The only thing dumber than paying RnR 120 bucks to run in one of their half marathons is to pay someone else 120 bucks to run in one of RnR's half marathons.

I would say that Rock n Roll events ARE a sellout. A sellout of all that made road racing enjoyable, affordable, and accessible.

In short, Competitor Group is interested in producing a commodified product that appeals to the very mass of people that runners used to set themselves apart from... They make it less about a small community of like minded people who are kinda weird and don't share the same values as everyone else and more a celebration of the most superficial form of togetherness that we share: country music and the "city of Nashville"--a strategic path reduced to a few (white, upperclass) neighborhoods and the businesses they frequent.

Click

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Is it true that if you wear your bib to Golden Corral, you get half off Wing Night?

kcam

In short, Competitor Group is interested in producing a commodified product that appeals to the very mass of people that runners used to set themselves apart from... They make it less about a small community of like minded people who are kinda weird and don't share the same values as everyone else and more a celebration of the most superficial form of togetherness that we share: country music and the "city of Nashville"--a strategic path reduced to a few (white, upperclass) neighborhoods and the businesses they frequent.

Click

OK.  That was an excellent blog post.  CMM RIP.

The HM's I have on my schedule are $60 and $45 (at least that's what it was last year).  I just bailed on the Water to Wine HM in Healdsburg, CA after finding out that early registration fee was $100, and it was close to selling out last week.  Today, it's sold out and the race isn't until 8/11.   I think the HM is going to becoming like the marathon was/is a couple years ago.  Maybe we can go back to running marathons if the crowd shifts to the HM.

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/chicago/event-details#register

"If you attempt to sell your race number, you may be banned from future Competitor Group events for three years."

Hah!  Truth is, you could be banditing, running with no race number, and if you get tired, a bus will pull upside you.  They'll offer to give you a ride to the end where you can then get off a tenth of a mile short of the finish and 'complete the race' and receive your finishers medal and etc.  On the odd chance that no one notices you have a number on, just tell them "a bandit stole it from me"...  

Wink

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

beat

Break on through

And they're calling a 5K race a "Mini Marathon".  I guess the 1 Mile race would be a Micro Marathon, and the 100 meter race would be a Nano Marathon.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

joescott

And they're calling a 5K race a "Mini Marathon".

Tell me this isn't really true.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

DaBurger

Nope, my Aunt (who's husband ran high school track and daughter runs in middle school fwiw) asked me if I was running any marathons "like those 5k marathons",

Know thyself.

dennrunner

Back in the late 70's to very early 80's most of the races being held were 10K's. Some of them were called "mini Marathons." Not a huge stretch to now go down to 5K. After all, we're all winners, now.

Wing

Joggaholic

Please tell us how you really feel about this Big grin

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/chicago/event-details

Date: July 21, 2013
                        Start Time (Half Marathon and 5K Mini Marathon): 6:30 am

northernman

Fight The Future

I just ran a picomarathon in the running shoe store while trying our a new pair of shoes. But sadly, no medal was received....

#artbydmcbride

I just ran a picomarathon in the running shoe store while trying our a new pair of shoes. But sadly, no medal was received....

You was robbed!  Angry

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

http://endurancesportsflorida.com/tag/competitor-for-sale/

I believe the Rock n Roll marathons franchise is now owned by the group that puts on the Tour de France.  Shy

Runners run

muppy

So would a 10K be a double marathon? Guess I'm an "ultra runner" now!!!