GeriAthletics (Read 110 times)

I have recently published an article on the aging endurance athlete and am organizing another workshop, specifically for those over age 50. Please contact me directly if you are interested in attending in person, or via webinar/virtual means. The science of aging and endurance athletics truly is a science of training dosage; injury prevention; recovery; and sport-specificity. FB: https://www.facebook.com/geriathletes/.

A brief agenda:

Strengthening for competitive performance over 50

Endurance training for competitive performance over 50

Considerations in injury prevention: geriatric and condition-specific modifications

Sport specific training and competing: Goal setting; training plans; psychology

Case studies - in person and by video!

I have been contacted by several RunningAhead members, inquiring about the referenced article:

Studer MT. The aging endurance athlete: An analysis of the latest evidence for optimal training schedules, expected gains, and recovery strategies. Topics in geriatric rehabilitation. 2016 January; 32(1):34-38.

mike@northwestrehab.com

Other articles that I have written, are listed here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/1J9A7umDsDcQX/bibliography/48585296/public/?sort=date&direction=ascending

Daydreamer1

If you are targeting athletes starting at  the age of 50 you might want to change the name of your program. According to most definitions that I've seen Geriatric medicine doesn't start until at least age 60 and  most commonly age 65.  Even then the term geriatric is more associated with those who are becoming frail. For me your title, especially when used for those who are just entering middle age, is a huge turn off.  Kind of like calling me elderly.

I'd suggest the term masters, middle age, 50+,  etc. unless  you are actually reaching out to those who are 65 or older and starting to suffer from frailty.

Just my two cents and FWIW I'm 51.

Half Fanatic #846

I've got to agree with Daydreamer. Yes, I initially thought you were describing "senior citizens", and when I checked - geriatrics does refer specifically to "old or elderly people".  To me, that's people 65+. (Unless of course there's a 'senior discount' involved....). I'm 70, but not frail or in need of rehab - yet.

PS: that's an impressive NIH list!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

running metalhead

I've got to agree with Daydreamer. Yes, I initially thought you were describing "senior citizens", and when I checked - geriatrics does refer specifically to "old or elderly people".  To me, that's people 65+. (Unless of course there's a 'senior discount' involved....). I'm 70, but not frail or in need of rehab - yet.

PS: that's an impressive NIH list!

Oh, nice. I'm ripe for a geriatric clinic now...
            Well, they will have to wait until they get me out of the psychiatric Wink

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
            - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
            - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
            - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
            - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
            - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Great comments and discussion, all! In truth, the term, "geriatrics" and the easy spawn into geri-athletics, caused me to and continues to compel me to use the prefix "geri". We acknowledge that we are all aging, I am 48, and use the science to ensure our optimal health and performance in endurance + skill + strength-based events in a preventative manner. That is to say that, at 48, 55, 62, or any age younger than what we would define as "geriatric", our ultimate goal is to train and compete now - planning for preserving these capacities so that we can continued to do so at age 75. We are working with health care providers, primarily physical therapists (PT) to train them in these concepts so that they can best advise the 40-somethings through 60 somethings for the end goal of being an Ed Whitlock, if you will...(85 yo running a 3:56 marathon). For yet another article that I was interviewed for: http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/2017/2/Feature/PreparingForOlderAge/