Top of foot pain? (Read 1870 times)

AnneCA

Woke up with it this morning -- hadn't noticed even a nagging "huh, that's a little sore" discomfort before. So, it's a brand new pain. Both feet, but in different places. Confused Left foot has it on middle metatarsal, right near metatarsal-phalangeal joint. Some soreness on movement, and definitely sore to the touch. On the right foot, it's more on the ankle, almost extending up to the shin. Soreness/tight feeling on movement, but not sore to the touch. Google has me freaked out because it makes the first one sound like a stress fracture. I want to believe not, obviously. My argument against is that it seems odd to me that it would show up suddenly like that. Wouldn't there be nagging discomfort for a while first? Or am I wrong? Also, it's odd to me that it would show up on the exact same day as this discomfort in the other foot, although the issues are different enough that perhaps that's just a coincidence and it's distracting me. Any thoughts? I'm icing. I did my scheduled run this morning, because I didn't notice this until I was out the door, and, then, well, I was out the door, so I kept going. It didn't particularly hurt when I was running -- I don't think I even noticed the lleft foot metatarsal pain, just felt like the right ankle needed a good stretch. Yes, I have new shoes, and they're a duplicate model of one I've been wearing successfully for years (I had to go online to find someone who still carried Brooks Radius, after an unsuccessful trial with Saucony). I am a high-arched overpronator (goofy, I know), and I wear a custom rigid orthotic. I've never had foot pain issues before (well, I did have some bottom-of-foot pain on one foot a couple of months ago, but it cleared up completely and relatively quickly without any changes on my part, so I do think that was a stone bruise or similar, rather than PF). Any advice appreciated!

Lazy idiot

Not sure on the second mentioned pain, but the first sounds like me when I was tying my laces too tight.

Tick tock

Jayr

I find it ironic that you woke up with this pain because that is exactly what happened to me. I had run pretty hard on a cold Northland day in the winter of 96'; that was a Sunday..... No pain when I went to bed.. When I stepped out of bed on Monday morning I could harly walk, because the pain on the top of my right foot was so bad. I feel a stess fracture would simulate with ongoing nagging pain... So I hope you don't have that. In my case this pain went away with rest; I hope the same for you.... Good Luck. j.
        AnneCA

Jayr, I'm glad yours resolved -- I'm hoping the same happens to mine, and that I'm not left remembering it 12 years from now. :wink: Drew, I might try loosening my laces. Since they are new shoes, it's possible I've got them too tightly laced. My husband says he thinks the area on my left foot looks a little bruised, and maybe it's nothing but that. I don't really see it myself, but if this is just from my kid climbing on me or something, that would also be a good explanation.
            Not sure on the second mentioned pain, but the first sounds like me when I was tying my laces too tight.
            Ditto! Mine also hurt when I flexed my toes back. They told me it was tendonitis from the way the laces irritated the tendons on the top of my foot. It went away soon after I started tying my shoes so they were looser on the top middle of my foot. Hope your problem is something simple as that instead of a stress fracture! Good luck!
              Your tying your laces to tight, you can go to www.newbalance.com and look up lacing and it will show you how to lace around that nerve on top of the foot, also if you wear inserts then you might be making it worse by pushing up your arch into the laces.