First long run - pace plummets (Read 818 times)

Hey guys, the good news is that I accomplished my first long run. 3.4 mi doing a run 3,walk 1 scenario. I felt great at the end, like I coulda kept going, but I noticed my pace went from 12:45 to 14:16. Is this normal for the long run? Kimmer
    My goal in life is to be as happy as I possibly can. - Me
    scrumhalfgirl

You SHOULD be running your longer runs slower than your regular pace - so yes, that's normal! Smile

-Jess

Wingz

Professional Noob

Yes, especially for first long runs. Give yourself some time to adapt. Big grin Congrats on your first long run! Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

Now that was a bath...

That's what happened to me!!! My first long run was also about 3.4 miles and my pace actually plumetted to 16:24. I ran it again 12 days later and my pace was 10:26 and I took 20 minutes off my time! It sounds like you did the same as me. Itook it a little too easy the first time I did my long run - but I think that it is better to go easy and see how your body copes than to push yourself too hard too quickly. Congrats on completeing your first long run Smile Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Definitely better to do your long runs at a slower pace. Eventually you may find that you don't see much difference in pace between your shorter runs and long runs, but it's good to keep them slow and relaxed at first, until you have a good base. BTW, woot! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

madness baby

Congrats on your first long run! I'm in agreement with the others- It's good that you are taking it slower on longer runs. I, personally, am having to re-learn how to do slow, easy runs! By going a little slower, you won't get hurt and your pace will naturally reflect your progress. Don't worry about your watch, and you will see and feel progress.
              deb
              xhristopher

Hey guys, the good news is that I accomplished my first long run. 3.4 mi doing a run 3,walk 1 scenario. I felt great at the end, like I coulda kept going, but I noticed my pace went from 12:45 to 14:16. Is this normal for the long run? Kimmer

I wouldn't worry about it.  SurfNrun had the same issues when he stretched his runs out but was still happy about it. I think Wingz slows the pace to get more distance too. You should be hitting your stride by summer 08!

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Don't worry at all about pace. Just work on slowly increasing distance. Pace will improve naturally as your endurance and fitness grows. Trying to push the pace when you are just starting out often leads to injury.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental