What's the weather like where you are? (Read 2090 times)

SNOW!!!!!! Finally!!! I get to try out what my brand new Subaru Outback can do in the white stuff. If there's still snow on the ground tonight, I'll try it again without the traction control Big grin
    My ride to work this a.m. in the civic was interesting. It actually took me less time than a regular day since there were so few people out. I'd take a steady 25 mph on 93 every day instead of the normal stop and go. We had an Outback before we had too many kids to fit in it. Those things are better in the snow than any car or truck. We live on a steep hill and when I worked from home I used to enjoy watching people in their Suburbans etc. getting stuck and having to back down. THe Outback would just chug right up. We have a Honda Pilot now, which is good but not as good as the Outback. Enjoy it!

Runners run

Syracuse, NY-just got 2' of snow dumped on us in the last 24 hours! Throw in below zero temps and forget about running!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We had an Outback before we had too many kids to fit in it. Those things are better in the snow than any car or truck. We live on a steep hill and when I worked from home I used to enjoy watching people in their Suburbans etc. getting stuck and having to back down. THe Outback would just chug right up. We have a Honda Pilot now, which is good but not as good as the Outback. Enjoy it!
        My brother has a WRX. Right before he and his wife divorced he needed to get a new car (she was getting their Nissan). He wanted a sports car and was looking at a Miata. I talked him out of it since he lives in the Chicago area and is a horrible driver (not to mention the fact that a Miata is pretty useless for hauling stuff around and he can cram a lot of stuff in his WRX hatch/wagon). At least the WRX keeps him on the road...I shudder to think of what would become of him in a lightweight, rear wheel drive car on snowy roads. So far, so good...though he has gotten at least one speeding ticket. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

staypuff

Ca you send some rain to melbourne Aust coz its hot and humid and yuck here t the moment
          JakeKnight

Roll eyes The thread that wouldn't die. About the weather. Speaking of weather - are any of you that were whining incessantly about "global warming" a month ago, and griping that winter just wouldn't get here, feeling sheepish yet? (Especially if you live in upstate New York - had enough winter yet?) Just curious. I just got back from yet another run with a glove shoved down the front of my pants to prevent frostbite of the tallywhacker, and frankly, I blame you people for tempting the weather gods. Continue the weather chat, future geezers. Later on, I'll tell you about how my arthritis acting up. Maybe gripe about those dang teenagers with their newfangled rock and roll music.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Why is it sideways?

I'm sick of this ****, too, JK. The reverse psychology of how extra hard core I am by running in the cold doesn't fool me anymore. I figured it out--it's just a trick to get me out the door. Outsmarted myself this time. Now I have to figure out how to out-outsmart myself so that I can get out the door tomorrow. Hmmm. If the "hard-core" idea is just a trick to get me out the door, then I'll be extra hard-core if I get out the door without fooling myself about how hard-core I am. I mean those elite runners don't think of themselves as hard-core. They just get out and slog through it. They're not motivated by psychological tricks! Neither am I! ---- Modified to add: wait a second...
              JakeKnight

I'm sick of this ****, too, JK. ...
                Yup. My recent mileage drop was partly planned, but the weather has, um, made it easy to run less. I'm scheduled to go back to 50-60 mile weeks next week, so that global warming better come back soon. This is Tennessee, not New York. Come on, weather gods. Sheesh. They're worse than the golf gods. This is what happens when you tempt them. Speaking of tempting the weather gods .... I saw this headine on Drudge yesterday. Whatever your politics, this ought to make you chuckle:
                HOUSE HEARING ON 'WARMING OF THE PLANET' CANCELED AFTER ICE STORM HEARING NOTICE Tue Feb 13 2007 19:31:25 ET The Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality hearing scheduled for Wednesday, February 14, 2007, at 10:00 a.m. in room 2123 Rayburn House Office Building has been postponed due to inclement weather. The hearing is entitled “Climate Change: Are Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Human Activities Contributing to a Warming of the Planet?”

Why is it sideways?

so that global warming better come back soon.
                  *Actively resisting overt antagonizing* *Finding hippie calm* Ummm. Yeah. Cool. ------ Modified to add: For the record, folks, JK's taper (let's call it what it is) has nothing to do with weather and everything to do with JK v. Trent, Battle of the Monkeys, Saturday 11am.
                  JakeKnight

Modified to add: For the record, folks, JK's taper (let's call it what it is) has nothing to do with weather and everything to do with JK v. Trent, Battle of the Monkeys, Saturday 11am.
                    Negative, Ghostrider, that pattern is full. Nope. Just an exhibition. Move along, folks. Nothing to see here. Unless Trent is very slow, he'll win by 5 minutes, give or take 30 seconds. Unless I change my mind. Or I'm bored. Or it's cold. Or I want a beer sooner. Or I'm just feeling froggy. April 28th is the showdown. Mark your calendar. Or in your case, just stop running once you get to Titans stadium, and wait approximately 1.5 hours. Or so.

Why is it sideways?

April 28th is the showdown. Mark your calendar.
                      Nice. I was thinking on my run today that I'll sign up for the CMM. I've been stalling and stalling, but the training is going well, so what the hell.
                        Nice hijack with those last two posts, you two. And just when I was about to chime in with a, "oh yeah well who are the two hens cackling about the weather now, huh?" you turned it around. Well done. Now lets establish some betting lines. Or should that stay in the 2k morass?

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

-5 windchills tonite. Right now windchill is a whopping 1º. Somebody needs to tell Ms. Nature that it's March, already. Heating bills have gone all to hell (only Hell is nice and toasty--anyone wanna join me there?!). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Weather here.... VERY WINDY...and cold...and nasty. Suppose to have some flurries, nothing major. I hate winter. I need spring to get here. Temp around 35 for now, going down to 13 tonight. *lol* visual of the glove and it's other uses - Thanks JakeKnight.

Michelle

Weather here.... VERY WINDY...and cold...and nasty. Suppose to have some flurries, nothing major. I hate winter. I need spring to get here. Temp around 35 for now, going down to 13 tonight. *lol* visual of the glove and it's other uses - Thanks JakeKnight.
                              Woke Sat to snow. Enough that it messed up running some for me

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Dog-Love

Lots more snow!! 10 inches yesterday and another 8 today. Supposed to get 12 by tomorrow. High tenns which is better than some of the colder temps around. We even had a snow day called for schools and the Feds. Pretty wussy...after all this is Alaska.
                                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)