Looking for Ultra coach (Read 126 times)

Stevepf

I am looking for a coach to help me prepare for the 2021 Comrades Marathon. I normally coach myself, but as I am new to Ultras, I thought to hire someone.

Some of my specific needs:

• Determine optimal run/walk strategy for the race
    • Provide training plan
    • Monitor my progress, and adjust training plan as appropriate
    • Respond to any questions I might have
    • And most important of all, give me an honest assessment as to my chances for a successful race, i.e. completion within the time limit, before I commit. Given the huge travel costs, this is going to be a one-time shot, so failure is not an option.

Would greatly appreciate a recommendation if you know of someone.

Thanks

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That kind of coaching and support can be expensive.  Some of it, like optimal run/walk strategy, is as much experimenting yourself until you find what works best.  I engaged Ian Sharman to coach me for my first and was more than pleased with the final results.  Ian came to me via a personal recommendation from the runner who inspired me to try my first ultra.  You may remember Redsparkle from RWOL forums.  What's important is that you buy into the approach the coach takes, so Ian may not necessarily be the best fit.  Camille Herron, Michelle Yates, Ian Torrence, Meghan Arbogast, Krissy Moehl, and Ann Trason all offer coaching as well.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

an amazing likeness

Check out the Relentless Running Project -- Ben & Candice are long time RunningAhead community members.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

DoppleBock

I do not know any coaches for Ultra-Running ... I am sure Ben and Candice could help you.  I am uncoachable.

Comrades - 89 KM or @ 55 MIles ... Cut-off is 12 hours.  With you current training you are @ 4 hour marathoner ... give or take.  Your biggest hurdle to 55 miles is the endurance to go from marathon to 55 miles.  The second biggest hurdle is your general speed.  Higher mileage along with more focussed speed work is needed.

Build up to

*  More miles per week (70-80)

*  More 18-22 Mile training runs (twice per month)

*  More 4-6 Hour training runs (Twice per month)

Keep doing - Marathon type training & other speed training

As mileage and long runs increase - Stay focussed on

* Hydration

* Sleep

* Electrolyte Maintenance

* Nutrition

** Please do not be insulted by "4 hour marathoner" - I am unsure if you are in for the up or down course ... but I would likely be a 3:50-4:10 marathon course for you.

I am looking for a coach to help me prepare for the 2021 Comrades Marathon. I normally coach myself, but as I am new to Ultras, I thought to hire someone.

Some of my specific needs:

• Determine optimal run/walk strategy for the race
          • Provide training plan
          • Monitor my progress, and adjust training plan as appropriate
          • Respond to any questions I might have
          • And most important of all, give me an honest assessment as to my chances for a successful race, i.e. completion within the time limit, before I commit. Given the huge travel costs, this is going to be a one-time shot, so failure is not an option.

Would greatly appreciate a recommendation if you know of someone.

Thanks

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

They are doing my marathon training.  They are awesome.

Check out the Relentless Running Project -- Ben & Candice are long time RunningAhead community members.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Side note: Ben has won a very brutal 50k on a ski resort in hot weather and Candice i think took 2nd in another tough 50k up in northern WI.  So they definitely know ultras. Candice has also paced a few friends through ultras as well.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CalBears

Side note: Ben has won a very brutal 50k on a ski resort in hot weather and Candice i think took 2nd in another tough 50k up in northern WI.  So they definitely know ultras. Candice has also paced a few friends through ultras as well.

Do not know Ben and have nothing against him, obviously he is a very fast runner. But 50K is very hard to associate with ULTRA - yes, I know 50K is considered as an ultra distance, but it is really on a brink of distances. In my experience, all the major problems in running ultras start at 35-40 miles mark and beyond, 50K is just 31 mile - it's really easy to move from marathon distance to 50K. Again, nothing against Ben - it's possible he ran 100K and 100 miles also - that would then change the tone of my post.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

I agree that 50k is very different from a 50 miler+.  I have also won a 50k.  My strategy was to run 10 seconds slower until 26.2 and then just hang on for the last 5.

I was in a 6 hour race once also and had a far different experience.  I feel like it would have helped me in that one to walk up the steep hills.  I felt like a fish out of water.

So, honestly I would feel comfortable coaching a runner up to 50k but not beyond that.  I have no opinion good or bad about the recommendation.  I just wanted to say that I agree with the opinion that a 50k is a very different race than 50+ mile ultras.

There are a few coaches that really know there stuff for the ultra distances on teamrunrun.  Google them and check them out.  See what the best fit is for you.  Maybe the couple works better.  Again, I'm not judging them in any way.

hazelmark760

Found or still looking?

Pain is my friend

John Starrett mostly coaches marathon runners but also coaches a hand full of every day and fast ultra runners. Not outragedly priced.

Stazza' s Stable

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?