Very low heart rate? (Read 245 times)

ONH7

hi, I’m new to this community but have been running for about 7 years. I’m in college and run for my school’s XC and Track team and have noticed that my heart rate has been extremely low. It usually hits a low of about 30-33 bpm daily and hovers around 38 throughout the day when I’m resting. I’ve had EKGs and an ultrasound of my heart done and everything is fine, but a heart rate this low scares me. I guess I’m just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I saw a cardiologist last year about it, but that was back when my lowest heart rate was 38. Should I seek a second opinion? Has anyone else experienced this low of a heart rate?

dhuffman63

Trails

Mine used to hover in the high 90's then I started working out and it's in the low 50's/60's now.  Do you have normal blood pressure?  Do you feel well otherwise?  If you aren't feeling unwell (lightheaded, etc) you may just be very fit.  Does it get high when you run?

ONH7

I feel okay, BP is normal, I’m just very tired sometimes. My HR during an easy/ moderate run is between 140-150, but it will go up to 180f I’m really pushing it but not often

dhuffman63

Trails

That sounds great.  If you are really concerned see if the cardiologist will set you up with a Holter monitor.  You wear it 24/7 (except the shower) for up to a month.

finbad

Hi ONH7

I have pretty much the exact same thing, resting HR tends to be around 38 and usually low 30's upon waking. I got checked out for this when I realised it was pretty abnormal (I'm in the UK and my Dr said anything <40 was worth checking out). I wore a monitor for a week and was told to do a bit of running too, they analysed the measurements and concluded that I've nothing to worry about. I should point out that I'm 39 and first realised all this about 5 years ago.

When I first found out I hoped it would be like some sort of hidden running super power but sadly it's just a quirk.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Only able to get to 30's when I am at the peak of my training. Otherwise 50's would be my resting heart rate. Stand up and its at 70.

I gave up the heart rate training, lots of geez whiz numbers that aren't really needed for me.

Friend who had a valve replaced in his heart, has heart rate numbers lower than mine when training. His resting heart rate is in the 70's, yet marathon pace only at 130 versus 165 for me.

Get off my porch

ONH7

Thank you all for the replies! I’m goimg to call my cardiologist today and see if she’d like me to make an appointment to get checked out again.

ares_GOW

Link spam
                  kettledrum

My brother in law has a resting heart rate in the mid 30s.  I can't remember the details, but you're not the only one!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, the term for this is bradycardia.

Seattle prattle

my resting is 39 bpm. If i push it on a tempo run, it may hit 130. I am 60 y.o.

Runners often have very low heart rates.

I saw the doctors about a few issues like getting light headed when i stand up or just for no reason, and went through a barrage of tests.Included therein are enlarged heart and enlarged lungs. After all the tests, they said i was just kind of normal for a runner, and not to worry about it.

There was all kinds of things - special x rays of the lungs and heart, stress test on a treadmill, you name it.

There was a lot of surprise and curiosity amongst the docs, nurses, lab techs. You'd think they never saw a runner before.

ONH7

Just st wanted to update- I finally spoke with my cardiologist over the phone today. She seems concerned by how low my heart rate is, and wants me to come in for another appt this Monday. She said we would come up with a plan. I’ve already had an EKG and an echo done, so I’m not really sure what other tests they can run.  I’m kind of freaking out over the fact that she sounded so concerned, but I’m glad to know I’m not the only one with an HR in the 30s.

JimR

Since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, the term for this is bradycardia.

"Bradycardia:  the apparent lack of vitals signs induced by watching sequential Brady Bunch episodes on late night television".

JimR

Just st wanted to update- I finally spoke with my cardiologist over the phone today. She seems concerned by how low my heart rate is, and wants me to come in for another appt this Monday. She said we would come up with a plan. I’ve already had an EKG and an echo done, so I’m not really sure what other tests they can run.  I’m kind of freaking out over the fact that she sounded so concerned, but I’m glad to know I’m not the only one with an HR in the 30s.

Mine used to hang around 40 or 42 when I was in better shape.  I've heard runners talk about having been in hospitals for unrelated reasons and the nurses would turn off the heart rate machines because the alarms kept going off due to low pulse rates.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

"Bradycardia:  the apparent lack of vitals signs induced by watching sequential Brady Bunch episodes on late night television".

Yeah, that's it.