True dat (Read 138 times)

Why is it sideways?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The absence of corrections leaves me cold.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

#artbydmcbride

Thank you!

Runners run

Walk-Jogger

I find that so impossibly hard to read that I can't figure out what it says, so I took the liberty of transcribing it (with a few question marks still):

In the evening, when Michelle and the girls have gone to bed, I sometimes walk down the hall to a room Abraham Lincoln used as his office. It contains an original copy of the Gettysburg Address, written in Lincoln’s own hand.

I linger on these few words that have helped define our American experiment: “a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.”

Through the lines of weariness etched in his face, we know Lincoln grasped, perhaps more than anyone, the burdens required to give these words meaning. He knew that even a self evident truth was not self executing; that blood drawn by the lash was an affront to our ideals; that blood drawn by the sword was in painful service to those same ideals.

He understood as well that our humble efforts(?), our individual ambitions, are ultimately not what matter; rather, it is through the accumulated toil and sacrifice of ordinary men and women – those like the soldiers who consecrated that battlefield – that this country is built(?), and freedom preserved. This quintessentially self made man, fierce in his beliefs in honest work and the striving spirit at the heart of America, believed that it falls to each generation, collectively, to share in that toil and sacrifice.

Through cold war and world war, through industrial revolutions and technological transformations, through movements for civil rights and women’s rights and workers rights and gay rights, we have.  At times, social and economic change have strained(?) our union. But Lincoln’s words gave us confidence that whatever trials awaits us, this nation and the freedom we cherish can, and shall, prevail.

Retired &  Loving It

Through cold war and world war, through industrial revolutions and technological transformations, through movements for civil rights and women’s rights and workers rights and gay rights, we have.  At times, social and economic change have shamed(?) strained our union. But Lincoln’s words gave us confidence that whatever trials awaits us, this nation and the freedom we cherish can, and shall, prevail.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Walk-Jogger

Thanks Kevin; "strained" our union does seem to make more sense in the last paragraph . . .

Retired &  Loving It

Where does ACA fit into this?

giddy-yup

He knows knew that even a self evident truth was not self executive; executing;....

Gator eye

Nice race Jason

Walk-Jogger

Thanks, giddy-yup, don't know how I  messed up those.

Retired &  Loving It

Yooper3.1

It is remarkable how Obama mentions both "self-evident truths" (a reference to the Declaration of Independence and its reliance on natural law) and "gay rights".  I've always considered gay acts and gay "marriage" to be contrary to natural law and have never heard a good argument to the contrary.

Why is it sideways?

Where does ACA fit into this?

Following Lincoln, Obama is saying that he believes in a "trickle-up" theory of political change. While our political parties engage in civil war by other means, the solutions to our problems have and always will come from ordinary people doing hard work trying to make positive change. 

The problems of health will not be solved by administrative mandate, but by people on the ground working to make our own lives healthier and our own communities healthier, solving the never-ending string of problems and navigating obstacles and imperfections, listing onward faithfully and fitfully as only democracies can and should. ACA is best viewed as a spur and as a frame within which that work would take place, rather than as a silver-bullet solution to a complex and persistent problem.

In other words, he finds consolation and hope in the values of patience, persistence, and faith in the long arc of human events and reminds us that this is the attitude required for democratic politics.

Joann Y

Nicely said!

montag

Super Pro Lurker

This quintessentially self made man, fierce in his beliefs in honest work and the giving(?) spirit at the heart of America, believed that it falls to each generation, collectively, to share in that toil and sacrifice.

Pretty sure it's "striving spirit" not "giving spirit."

Walk-Jogger

Thanks, Montag, I believe you're right. Clearly the first character of that word is not an Obama "g" and it does appear to be an Obama "s".

Retired &  Loving It