Craziest damn running goal you've ever set (Read 375 times)

FSBD

Couple summers ago a few buddies and I decided to set the goal of running from brew pub to brew pub all the way across Vermont. Not sure it was the craziest goal I've had but it was fun.

Do you have a map of your route?  I wouldn't mind trying this.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

mikeymike

Do you have a map of your route?  I wouldn't mind trying this.

I don't have a map--we weren't able to connect the dots exactly so there were some "portage" sections. We started in Lydonville at Trout River brewery and took a northern-ish route. I would not do that route again, although we did hit Hill Farmstead brewery which was worth killing ourselves for a couple of days across the Northeast Kingdom.

There were a lot of ad hoc route changes and other things that happened over the course of the long weekend (which also happened to feature a record-setting heat wave) but basically we ran a lot and drank a lot of locally brewed beer.

I did a 6-part write up of it that starts HERE.

Here's an excerpt:

We had run 17 miles in the blazing sun and we were in the middle of effing nowhere.  We had done a lot of talking, laughing, praying and suffering already and we were only partway through day 1.  With some actual running under our belts we were able to tackle the fact that logistically, we really hadn't thought this thing through all that well.  It was, in fact, going to be impossible to literally run across Vermont.  On the plus side, my hangover was gone.

Runners run

When I was 13 I ran my first road race, a 10K in 54:45.  A year later (8 or 9 inches taller) I did 42:56.  So I made it my goal to run it in sub 33 the year after that.  Its only 10 minutes when I had just taken off almost 12 minutes.  The logic made sense at the time.

Mr MattM

Had to go in search of 6 in 9 days report...  here it is:  Click!

be curious; not judgmental

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Anything that seemed crazy (running 3000+ miles in a year, running sub-40 10k, running sub-125 HM, BQ in first marathon) all seems rational and logical now. Hmmm....

Maybe I can give the honour to my coach: I said my major goal was to take a few minutes off my marathon time and run a sub-3 this fall. On the sheet listing paces/times that are listed for the team members and their workouts, she has "revised" my goal to read 2:50 marathon. Of course I freaked a bit when I saw this last Thursday, she replied, "You have the potential, plus you gotta go big or go home!"

Hopefully 2:50 is attainable this October. (gulp!)

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Someday I'd like to run across the length of Tennessee for charity.

FSBD

That was a fun read.  I enjoyed the tale.  Must have been a fun weekend.

I don't have a map--we weren't able to connect the dots exactly so there were some "portage" sections. We started in Lydonville at Trout River brewery and took a northern-ish route. I would not do that route again, although we did hit Hill Farmstead brewery which was worth killing ourselves for a couple of days across the Northeast Kingdom.

There were a lot of ad hoc route changes and other things that happened over the course of the long weekend (which also happened to feature a record-setting heat wave) but basically we ran a lot and drank a lot of locally brewed beer.

I did a 6-part write up of it that starts HERE.

Here's an excerpt:

We had run 17 miles in the blazing sun and we were in the middle of effing nowhere.  We had done a lot of talking, laughing, praying and suffering already and we were only partway through day 1.  With some actual running under our belts we were able to tackle the fact that logistically, we really hadn't thought this thing through all that well.  It was, in fact, going to be impossible to literally run across Vermont.  On the plus side, my hangover was gone.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Run a marathon at a faster pace than my 1,500m PB in high school.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them