Am I glad there is a Running Ahead (Read 1401 times)

Old, Slow, Happy

Pretty much my wife's stance too. She likes me better when I'm running too, even if she doesn't get it.
    Yep That's me and my wife too. There's worse things to be weird and radical about.
    theyapper

On the road again...

My wife has been amazed throughout the entire process, even more so the longer I've stuck with it. I can relate to what Teresa posted earlier - at times our entire family of 5 is running the neighborhood streets! It's nice to have influenced my wife and children in such a healthy way.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

thumbs up!

My husband doesn't quite understand it. I bought a decent pair of running tights... and finally found the courage to wear them in public. DH says on my way out the door "are you really going outside in those?" Urghh. I put on a longer shirt. BUT progress is being made. We've graduated from eye rolling to acceptance. He knows there will be a long run at some point in the weekend, and he doesn't make a peep OR eye roll now.
        2010 Goals
        1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
        2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
        3. sub 30 min 5k
        4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
          My husband doesn't quite understand it. I bought a decent pair of running tights... and finally found the courage to wear them in public. DH says on my way out the door "are you really going outside in those?" Urghh. I put on a longer shirt. BUT progress is being made. We've graduated from eye rolling to acceptance. He knows there will be a long run at some point in the weekend, and he doesn't make a peep OR eye roll now.
          Your husband sounds a lot like mine. Glad to hear that the peeps and eye rolls have eased up, mine have too. Big grin

Michelle

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Pretty much my wife's stance too. She likes me better when I'm running too, even if she doesn't get it.
            +1. My partner will now kick me out of the house to run if I haven't in a couple of days b/c I drive him up the wall. My mom is an ex-runner (can''t run anymore medically, although her "walks" are a bit long and brisk), so she gets it. My dad usually refers to my running as "f&$cking nuts". One out of three ain't bad.

Chris
            PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

I bought a decent pair of running tights... and finally found the courage to wear them in public. DH says on my way out the door "are you really going outside in those?"
              Penny - this happened to me too only week before last. So i went out feeling a little weird, but ran a road where there are normally some runners (early on a chilly morning) and while running I must have come across 8 to 10 other runners and ALL were wearing tights and long sleeved T-shirts.....suddenly I felt like I fit right in.....but i know where you are coming from here.... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Champions are made when no one is watching

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I bought a decent pair of running tights... and finally found the courage to wear them in public. DH says on my way out the door "are you really going outside in those?" Urghh. I put on a longer shirt.
                Be proud of your tight-wearing! Tights prevent chafing, are warm, and don't make that annoying swish-swish-swish that wind pants do. Snow and drafts can't get up your pants leg in tights, either. Plus they are good incentive to not pack on the pounds this time of the year, since we can't hide the holiday pudge in tights. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Totally. I ran my first 14 mile run this week, and my sister was freaking out. ha ha, but in a good way! Everyone else thought I was crazy...
                  DoppleBock

I just don't tell anyone else ... Shhhhh Actually my wife is very supportive - in the I won't get in your way or complain about you running so much. It is very selfish, but she realizes that I / we / our family is better off when I run and release all that stress / tension. I just don't do a lot of other stuff - Just Church / Family / Running - I don't "Go out with the guys" "Play much golf" "Watch TV" "Fish or Hunt" She really is not phased anymore if I say - "Hey I won't be back until 2:00 pm tomorrow (SAT) because I want to get a 40-50 miler in." But I make darn sure I am home by the time I say I will be and that I never use the excuse "I'm too tired" to do house work or family fun things.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

FWIW, I've been called "obsessed" several times.
                      I heard a quote once and had it in the sig line of my emails.... "obsessive is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated".
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I gotta admit, I got pretty lucky in terms of the IRL support thing. I married into a family of runners. DH's dad ran Chicago in his youth, his mom regularly won AG awards when she did road races (shorter distances), his aunt is in her 50s and still marathons, and that aunt's husband also is a marathoner and a RD for a very popular trail relay here in MI. I'm "captain" of a team of 6 of us RAers who will be running it in June and it's kind of cool that "family" run that event. My brother runs a little and my family is also very supportive. They all showed-up in Milwaukee to cheer me on when I ran my first 'thon last month. My brother's GF has done at least 1 MS 150 ride, so she "gets" the training thing. DH doesn't run anymore, but he used to do track and XC and now is a crazy spandex-clad dude on a bike doing his own insane 100+ mile rides in places like Death Valley.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I get plenty of support from my wife - comments about good looking legs, and understanding about the time it takes. I suspect that secretly she'd like to be "into" running too, but hasn't quite got over the mental barrier to MAKE the time for it, rather than hope to fit it in. Outside of home is more interesting. When someone discovers how far I run then there is a mixed reaction. Other runners "get it", but non-runners (and aren't there lots of them) alternate between being impressed, and suspecting that you need medication to get over the addiction.

Running - cheaper than therapy

My family sort of supports me in that they say "congrats" when I talk to them about my running accomplishments. Funny though, they often tell me to tell them how to get started and of course that unleashes a torrent of advice from me... Big grin But then they never do start running. I wonder why they don't - especially my brother who is very overweight and could certainly benefit from losing a few pounds. Confused Oh, and my 79 year old smoking, drinking, partying dad says: "Be careful". I think that's hilarious! Big grin

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

DW is supportive . She likes to travel Cool My nagging injuries are preventing road trips.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Last week a couple of friends were here, and we decided to join them for a skiing-vacation in Austria in April. That's to say, we will go to Austria, and DH and DS are going to ski. I'm going to walk, to run, and of course I'm going to take my camera... I don't dare anymore, after I had a knee-injury after a skiing-accident two years ago. It was a minor injury, but I wasn't able to run for few weeks. But during those weeks I decided that I wouldn't ski anymore: I do like it, but I won't risk not being able to run anymore, just for the pleasure of skiing during just one week. When I told this our friends, they couldn't understand. Yes, they do understand that someone is running for fitness (like one of them does, too), but running just because you like running, running because you love it... impossible, they seem to think. (I even do have a friend who runs 20 miles a week, but still considers it as a duty, something she 'has' to do.) I know several people who run, but none of them seems to love it like I do.

Running in Belgium
                                Ann