Ankle Sprain :( (Read 514 times)

Last Friday night I stood up from sitting on the ground for a long time and sprained my ankle, I did not realize my foot was asleep. It has been pretty mild and I had some swelling but not a lot. On Saturday I was limping a little and stairs were an issue. Sunday walking was fine and stairs were less an issue. Today I got to the point where walking up and down stairs is not a problem, I can feel it on stairs but it is not painful. It is still swollen a little but not much. Since the injury I have been doing RICE for treatment. I guess everyone knows the question. At what point can one start running again after an ankle sprain? It has been last Thursday since my last run and I am beginning to suffer from withdrawals. I am thinking about going on an slow 2 miles tomorrow and see how it does. I am a runner with 1/2 year in shoes with about a normal 15 mile week. Mike
      Mike I do not think anyone can give you a definitive answer on the net like this. However, I am sure it will heel soon. From experience, I would suggest that you do not sweat it too much. Give your ankle time to heel and then take even an extra day or two after the pain is all gone and then slowly get back out running. You will be able to recapture your fitness pretty quickly. I know it is hard ( been there done that) but look on this as a rest period you have a long running career ahead of you.
        Thanks and I think you are right. It is really impossible to say how long it will last and it is best to make sure it s completely healed.

Junior Amphibian

I've never actually sprained an ankle while I was a runner, but I regularly pull my Achilles tendon and it tends to heal quite fast, usually 2-3 days and I'm ready to go again. If it's a full blown sprain with bleeding and puss, it should be at least week, I imagine.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

It's a pain in the rear end, but the best thing is to not do anything until you've had at least three days of no pain. I'm having to live by my own words right now with a back issue, and I'm in the middle of training for a 50k. Patience is a virtue, but it sure is in low supply right! Black eye However, in the end, you will be healthier with less chance of hurting yourself again. Once the ankle is healed, you might want to consider doing some ankle strengthening exercises. It will help the muscles you've pulled and annoyed. Some good ones are: 1. Lay a towel on the floor, and with your foot on flat on the ground, use your toes to bunch it up. 2. Lay a towel on the floor and with your foot flat on the floor and using a side, sweeping motion, move the towel from one side of your foot to the other and back again. Work up to doing multiple sets of these. Good luck!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thanks much. I think I will just give it some rest for now. It is not what i want to hear but it is what I need to hear. Mike