First Anniversary of RA Training Log (Read 778 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and there is a guy in this area who is pretty infamous for riding with a handgun in an ankle holster.  No one wants to ride with the guy.  He's really a jerk and starts fights with people on club rides.  I've seen him at races and things, but never actually ridden with him socially, thankfully.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slice

What a wonderful accomplishment! Maybe I should let DH read your story in hopes of getting him some inspiration... Smile

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Bwahahaha...that was not what I thought I was pasting.  There was just an article in the NYT about the not-so-nice effect that statins have on muscles, effectively making it difficult and painful to exercise. (I promise, this time it's the intended link) Tongue

Yes, I was confused by the link too, but didn't dare question Zoomy.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Bwahahaha...that was not what I thought I was pasting.  There was just an article in the NYT about the not-so-nice effect that statins have on muscles, effectively making it difficult and painful to exercise. (I promise, this time it's the intended link) Tongue

Anyway, regarding your new link on statins, we had a cardiologist give a talk at work last year.  He believed that just about every adult should be taking statins because they're so innocuous, and keep people away from his office.  Supposedly.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take them if you have a cholesterol problem.  He was saying you should take them if you don't have a cholesterol problem.

xor

You know, that "everyone should be taking a statin" thing seems to be making the rounds.  I've heard it on TV several times, and my step-mom has gotten that from a couple of doctors.  I wonder who started that. (sincere musing)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Jeebuz, seriously?!  It scares me that any doctor would prescribe THAT kind of "preventative medicine."  My DH is on meds for HBP.  It runs in his family.  Even his marathon-running aunt is on them.  DH wants to lower his dose, though, so he's trying to drop extra weight (he's about 25-30#s over ideal).  His mom and uncle are both on statins (mom is active, uncle is not), so his efforts to lose weight are also because he wants to avoid requiring those meds.

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

I've heard it too.  Along with "your cholesterol can never be too low" 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've heard it too.  Along with "your cholesterol can never be too low" 

So how much extra do we all pay in insurance costs when people are prescribed medications for no good reason?  It seems unethical, at best.

~ Sarah Kay