Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

Jan26.2 And Lurch

I am doing the every other day routine as well.  It allowed me to recover from a bum ankle back in January and still increase my pace by alot.  I add a day of cross training as well, Tennis or bike. This has been working well for a "recovery period". Eating lots of food and protien in under 30 minutes of finishing a workout and 10 mins of stretches every run... Let me know how it works for you all.

Oh and today I started with the cold water bath therapy.  I stayed in 20 mins which was a little too long, next time 15 max. Time passed pretty slow, the water was somewhere in the mid 60's   It was painful getting in, but I went numb faster than I thought. I am going to try this for a few weeks and see if I notice any changes in recovery.  Anyone else do this, or tryed it?

COLD POOL!

https://twitter.com/Wolfwalker23/status/326497512921894913/photo/1

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

bluerun

Super B****

I can't respond to everyone, since I swear the sole purpose of this netbook is to drive me clinically insane, but I just wanted to say -- great job, docjen!!  Congrats!

Oh, and I'd been planning on 14 miles total over this vacation, but I'm going to come up short.  I ran four miles the day I got here (THAT almost didn't happen, because my flight was delayed multiple times), and I was going to run ten today, but my stupid Garmin died after 7.69.  Since I know these things tend to be unreliable, I actually DID bring a second one with me.  I considered going out for another 2.31, but when I got back to my room I realized that my foot pod had vanished somewhere along my route.  I took that as a sign that I should just give up.  And buy a new foot pod, which is pretty irritating.  (I can tell approximately where I lost it, since my cadence stopped registering.  OF COURSE it was at the furthest point from my hotel.  Ugh.)

I have to say, between the flight-related stresses, the horribly choppy ocean (I'm a diver, that's why I go to the Caribbean... but I HATE choppy water), and this Garmin, I think I'm going to need another vacation to recover.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

miele

Godzilla

docjen-  I re-read your post (great RR, BTW!) and a couple of things struck me.  1) Your pace was all over the place!  Apparently when you chat you speed up!  Too funny.  2) That pacer sounds like a perfect pacer.  Well, not for you since you busted out a sub-8mm while talking with her (what are you nuts?!?) but she has a fun personality and I bet she kept everyone entertained.  3)  'Marathons are effing stupid' is almost exactly what I think, too, when the hurt starts.  Except I start calling myself, not the marathon, effing stupid.  I call myself all kinds of names at that point.  And finally, that was a really nice thing to do for the Boston runners.  Ok, that was more than a couple of things but whatever.  I think you did great and that's a very respectable time!  You'll get your BQ the next go around (which is when?).  Congrats to you and your friends!

Lurch-  There are so many plans out there with different takes on the same thing.  Why wouldn't you try something different than what you've been doing.  Sometimes  a change in the stimuli is needed.  Just be careful and if you need a break, take it.   I took a look at your plan and even though you have two speedworks a week the Fartleks don't seem to be overwhelming.  They're short enough that I don't think it would break you down like a longer interval workout would.  Just my 2 pennies.  And 'grats on the continued weight loss!

Nathan-  Two weeks to go!  Ok, so tell me how you're doing your taper.  I think I read you were going to do a more drastic taper than what's called for by the Hansons (did I read that here or on another post?).  Their taper kinda scares me.  I don't see a lot of taper in their taper.  And since I'm going to use their plan I'm taking notes on how you're doing everything.  I start the plan in August so don't be surprised if I come back with questions you might have already addressed at some point.

stever-  Thinking about you!  I know the stress test is tomorrow and it'll be a relief once it's over with so you can stress out about the race.

Wolf-  I'm going to check out that video soon.  Thanks for the link.  I've never tried that cold water therapy but I'll have to check out that link, as well.

gosling-  Glad the shin is feeling better.  Swimming is supposed to be an excellent exercise so it's good you found something that gives you the feeling you had a good workout.

Jan-  How're you feeling?  All the pain gone?  I hope so.  What a coincidence, I'm 29, too!!  I really think all the speed work was the culprit as far as my fatigued legs are concerned.  In hindsight I probably should have taken a solid week off but I didn't.  My legs still aren't right but I'm doing an extreme taper so hopefully I'll at least have a decent HM.  We'll see......

hector-  Aha!  Your FIL is a competitive guy!  How old is he?  I think it's great you're going to have another family race.  What kind of training are you going to do since you don't have that much time?  Is your foot 100% healthy again?   The heat sucks but then I look at all the places that still have snow storms and I think, "it's not so bad".

Edith-  You're running great despite all the moving which I classify as a total body workout.  When I visit my parents I never get used to the humidity.  My body simply refuses.  How was the Mexican food?  Watch out for 'gators.

blue-  Oh no!  Sorry about all the stressful happenings.  Yeah, you should book another vacation immediately.  Do you need your footpod for the Garmin?  It's not a GPS Garmin?  Here's to smooth water for the rest of your stay!

me-  Yesterday I had another one of 'those days'.  Ran 5 easy with some strides and then couldn't function for the rest of the day.  I'm going to start taking multi-vitamins again to see if that helps.   I also need to start keeping track of my bad days so I can discuss it with my doctor at my next visit.  Tomorrow I'll run another 5 w/ 2 a GHMP (if I feel up to it) then 3 on Sat.  That'll be my taper.   I'm really not expecting great things from this race but I'll have fun.  It's too bad since the start of the training cycle went so well.  Oh well.  I think I'm going to try and hold my PR pace and see how that feels.  If it feels good then maybe I can try to speed up later in the race.  If it feels bad then I'll need to slow down immediately.   The weather is looking perfect!

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

npaden

Miele, I think I'm going to stick with their plan on the taper.  It scared me originally and I did think about altering it, but I think if I've followed the plan for the last 3 1/2 months that I might as well stick with it.  This week was the first week of the taper in the plan, only 57 miles but no long run on the weekend.  This week is only 55 miles, also with no long run.  The week before the race is all easy miles with no workouts, but I still run about 25 miles during the week before the race I think.  I'm obviously very curious as to how it will all turn out!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

miele-thanks for thinking of me. I wonder if I can log my stress test as a run?? I am more curious about knowing my max heart rate during the test. The test is at 8:30 am, and there is a 3 hour fasting. Damn!! I'm never up at 5:30, sometimes I go to bed at that time!Sleepy

Good luck with your HM this weekend! You'll do well, looking forward to your RR.

me-managed a race-pace 9K on Saturday (with rain, wind, hail and snow, all in a 5 block radius), missed karate due to a cold, and then did hill repeats on Sunday. Have 2 more runs planned for this week, as I am in taper mode.

It's funny, whenever I taper, I feel like I have never run a day in my life, and start second guessing what the hell I am doing on Sunday. Ever get that feeling??

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
            2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

bluerun ! Wishing you calm waters before the vacation is up.  Maybe a good dive will turn the groove back on for ya!

Stever - I feel the same way when tapering... Alot of things seem to fly away in such a short period of time. Not a fan of tapers personally hehe

Miele - Good luck this weekend. You have several days left so get replenished, fueled up and I am sure your strength will be there by race time.  Look forward to the report. Have fun and GO GET THEM!!

Me- Speedwork week Big grin

Did a 5.6miler yesterday at 7:45 pace. Lots of wind and very warm here..lost alot of fluids. It was tough but grabbed a new PR for that distance so I was pleased.

Today I went to the College track and put in some speed work.  I wanted a 6 minute mile so I planned for lap1=85secs lap2=95secs lap3=95secs lap4=85secs = 6:00flat.   I started too quick and lap one was like 76 seconds... I slowed a little on lap 2 and crossed the 1/2mile mark at 2:59 I was happy but only for about another 30 seconds....The last part of lap 3 and lap4 seemed like a slow slog but I stayed close to my paces and ended up with a 6:17mile.   My old PR was 6:38 so pretty joyful.  Next time I will make sure to start a little slower.  I ran two 400m runs after that and got times 86secs and 85secs so felt good on the 400m. I then ran three 200m runs at 38secs 36secs and 43secs.  I was pretty worn out after that so called it a day. Lessons learned : I have the speed and lungs for 2 laps at 6minpace. My 200m times were fast so I know I can kick, I just need to get the lungs for the 4th lap. I see a sub 6min coming soon. I don't do alot of these short distances so it was kind of new and fun. Anyways hope someone enjoys the data.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

hectortrojan

deleting due to double posting

hectortrojan

EdithRevisited – its cool that you ran 10 miles in 80s

Jan26.2 – I am hoping to finish the half in around 1:50. It’s cool that you are enjoying the weather in CO. I have never been there. Planning to go this Sept for a wedding. Congratulations that your son is graduating from the college. By brother would be done with his graduate degree in a month as well.

Miele – FIL is 65. I am going to keep training very simple – run for an hour on weekdays and little longer on weekends. I will try to run 5-6 days a week. Will do total 2-3 fast work-outs before the race. 6-8 days for taper. My foot is still not 100%Sad Wanted to run for couple of hours on Saturday, but had to stop after 7 miles as foot started hurting. Ran for an hour on Monday and it was hurting for rest of the day so didn’t run on Tuesday. I agree with you about weather conditions. Can’t complain much in northern California. I am sorry that you didn’t feel good on Monday. I hope you feel better and can run your GHMP. Don’t worry much about the race, I am sure that you will do well.

Bluerun – I’m sorry that you garmin stopped working and you lost foot bad. It is interesting that you had another garmin though

Me - I had a great fast run last week. Ran 10k at 7.53 min/mile. This was my fastest 10k on TM so far. I was exhausted and felt about stopping after 35 minutes into the run. I knew that I would have to run at more than 180 bpm and was curious to see at what time I cross it. I run around 153 bpm for most of my runs and running at 180 bpm is very hard for me. I crossed 180 bpm around 25 minutes and it was very tough later on. Told myself that I should stop if I reach near 190 bpm. Crossed 190 bpm around 40 minutes and I still had to run for 10 more minutes if I was going to finish 10k. I told myself it is only 10 more minutes and I am not going to die. Also I ran 10k on TM at 8 min/mile a few weeks ago and thought I am quicker now and thought I might able to finish 10k today. So I continued after 40 minutes. Felt about quitting multiple times in last 10 minutes, but then told myself it is only 8 more minutes, 7 more and so on. I felt dehydrated and tired for next few days. Here 

miele-well, finally had my cardiac stress test this morning. For those of you who haven't had one, you basically run on a treadmill with increasing speed and elevation every 3 minutes. They monitor your blood pressure every 2 minutes, plus monitor heart rate and have an EKG machine hooked up to you. For the men, you loose some chest hairs. The test went well, I think I did about 5-6 level changes before the calves were starting to hurt. It felt like it was at +15° elevation or a little more, and going at a good pace at that point (felt like I was doing a 10K pace).

The results were good, but he wants me to do a follow up test, but with an echo-stress test this time, as he said there was some funny stuff happening at the end, but this could be a false-positive. I think my HR was at around 178 at the peak and I was pushing it hard. He said not to worry.

Now, off to my rest of my taper, and the HM this Sunday. They announce sunny and warm, around 68F.

me-tonight maybe an 8K or karate class. Need to flip a coin....Confused

Steve

gosling

Well, I ran...drumroll...a whopping 1 mile yesterday. Felt good, but I don't want to push it as my 1 miler felt good last week and then when I tried 3 the next day my shin hurt. So, that will be my last (land) run before Saturday. Will probably do some running in the pool tomorrow.

I got my wish for a cool forecast (will probably be high 50s-low60s) but there's a 70% chance of rain. As long as its not torrential, I'm ok with that, but still hoping it'll hold off until after the race or at least towards the end.

My plan is to start with the 2:00 pacer and hang on for dear life. I believe I had the fitness for a sub 2:00 before this injury, fingers crossed that I've still got it even with, although I know it's a log shot.

Stever and miele, good luck on Sunday!! May you both have better races than I anticipate Smile

gosling-I hope that the leg feels better by Saturday. It's not fun having to nurse an injury and then head out for a HM. But I am sure you will do well. Let us know your RR this weekend.

Last time you asked about my training plan. Well, I have followed 2 of them since I started running 3 years ago.

The first TP, for my 5, 10K, and first HM was from the Run Faster Run Less book. I liked the idea of only running 3 times a week (work family, work, health, work., got in the way Wink) but I found the details on doing all those tempo and interval runs at various paces and distances was too much and making running feel more like a task than a visceral activity. Plus I don't want a GPS watch, so keeping track of distance and pace was almost impossible.

I then came across a training plan from Asics.com.  You plug in your goal time, your past time and the training days per week and intensity, and you get a nice TP spread out over 16+ weeks. The TP are simple, with only 1 or 2 different pace per run. The feedback and statistical reporting is pretty nice and very easy to use. There is also a smartphone app for it to log you run with GPS. I have used the Asics TP for my last two HM, and my times were 1:48 and 1:44 (PR).

me-flipped the coin last night and did karate for 90 minutes. Last run tomorrow, then we race!

Steve

miele

Godzilla

Nathan-  Yep, that's the taper I was scared of.  All I can say is that I think you'll do great.  All of your posts are positive and you talk about the great runs you've had and how strong you feel.  Not too much longer!

stever-  That stress test sounds like a good hill workout.  I would definitely log it.  It's too bad you have to do another test.  What a pain.  But it's better to do another one if the doctor thinks it's necessary.  That way you won't have to worry about anything once it's all over with and you get a clean bill of health.   So is 178 your max?  Sounds like your weather is going to be great for the race, too.  Good luck on Sunday!!!!!  By the time I start you'll be finished so while I'm having my coffee I'll send positive vibes your way.

Wolfie-  Nice speed workout!  You're getting faster and faster seemingly every run!

hector-  Nice 10k!  Way to push through.  That kind of workout also gives you the mental boost of knowing you can push and hold on for longer than you think.  What's your 10k PR?  I'm sure you'd have a new PR in that distance if you raced one.  Sorry the foot is still bothering you.  That sucks.  Is it just me or are a lot of us feeling some sort of injury lately?

gosling-  I don't anticipate a great race, either, at least not in terms of a new PR.  I'll have a great race regardless.  Hope that shin behaves for your race.  It seems like we all have perfect weather forecasted for our races.  Ironic that when I feel like I've had a really good training cycle the weather ruins it and vice versa.....not so great training cycle means perfect weather.  Sigh.   I've got the same race plan as you.  I'm going to pick a pace and hang on for as long as I can.  Hopefully the pace I pick isn't totally insane.  That would make for a miserable final 3-4 miles.  Good luck on Saturday!  I'll be sending positive vibes your way, too!

me-  Thanks for all the well-wishes, guys!

Ran the 5 w/2@GHMP yesterday.  Felt like crap.  My HR was too high for a pace I'm supposed to hold for 13 miles.  Ok, I did go out a little too fast but not enough to explain the high HR.  So I was thinking, 'how am I going to run 13 miles?' but I always have thoughts like that the week before a race.  So I ignore that.  Tomorrow morning we're leaving for Oregon so  I'll check back in on Sat. to see how gosling did and to hear all the latest from you guys.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

Jan26.2

miele - Good luck in Oregon!! I hope you feel rested and ready to kick butt on race day. I still wish you knew what was making you feel so crappy. To answer your question from the other page, I'd say I'm about 90% recovered from my issues. I still get some pain when I run longer distances, like anything over about 7, but running short and fast doesn't hurt a bit. Doc said it would take a few months until my parts would be back to normal.

stever - I'm so glad your initial test results are good! My hubby had the exact thing happen at the end of his stress test, and they made him have the tests they want you to have also. They never found anything, so considered it a false-positive. Good luck this weekend!!!

gosling - Yay for a pain free mile! Even if you don't get a sub 2:00 this time, enjoy the race and know that they'll be others. I think you'll be surprised how good you feel after the rest you've given your shin. Good luck!

hector - Way to stick with that run until the end! Treadmill running definitely agrees with you. Thanks for the congrats for my son. He's worked really hard, and found out yesterday that he's graduating Suma Cum Laude. You'll love CO in the fall - it's a beautiful state and they usually have amazing fall weather.

wolf - Nice speedwork!! It's fun to run fast when you're used to slower miles. Cold water therapy sounds painful. The closest I've come to that is walking into the ocean above my knees after my marathon in Oct.

nathan - Your "only 57 miles" comment made me smile (and feel ashamed). Even at the height of my marathon training, I wasn't running that much mileage.

blue - I think a vacation to recover from a vacation should be mandatory! I wouldn't worry about coming up short on mileage - as long as you had a good time, that's what counts.

Me - Our 1,000 inches of snow has finally melted, and our temps are headed for the upper 60s by the weekend. I have a 5 mile "race" on Sunday. This was the one that was supposed to be a 10 miler before we dropped to the 5. I've been doing faster running and some intervals here and there, but not really dedicated 5 mile speed focused stuff. I think I'll just see how I feel on Sunday and go with whatever the day brings. I've only raced 5 miles once before, but I don't think I have a PR in me right now, and I doubt I'll even hit my time from last year. DH found out today that he's in the early stage of pneumonia/bronchitis, so he's not sure he'll be running with me. When I wasn't able to run for that week, he didn't run either, as he knew it would make me even crazier. So, if he's not able to run on Sunday, I'm considering not running it either. We'll see what happens...

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

hectortrojan

stever1966 – good luck with your race!

Gosling – good job in being careful and not running longer. I know it is hard not to run longer, but you did a right thing when your shin is not feeling well. Good luck with your race!

Miele - 55:35 is my PR for 10k which is the only 10k I ran. I ran it in April 2011. I know a lot of us are injured around the same that. It sucks. I would not worry about higher HR that you saw in your last run. Good luck with your race this weekend I know that you will do very well.

Jan26.2 - I had to google for finding out the meaning of summa cum laudeSmile it is awesome to see how proud you are of your son. Sorry to hear about your husband. I hope both of you are feeling great on the morning of the race day and rock it.

Me – my right foot was bothering me a little bit yesterday. And when I saw bottom of my foot last night, I saw black spots and I realized that my foot is bruised! I am tired of not feeling 100% for a while now. But as one of my friends says, it is what it is. So I am gonna take as many days off as I need and be ready for March 19th race to finish it under 1:50.

the kenyan

Ugh, it's been slow going this month.  Erratic weather (20s and snowy was the norm, but it's finally warming up this week) and busyness at work has sapped my energy and motivation.  Pretty much I just need to be told to suck it up.   I did a trail race yesterday that was a 5/10k with either one or two 5k loops.  Was planning to do the 10k but was completely cooked after 5k (the 600+ feet of climbing in just over a mile probably had something to do with it).  Granted I'm not in great trail shape and parts of it weren't really runnable, but it was still kind of depressing.  My shorter runs have been fine, but I'm just worried that I'll poop out once I get to the 8-10 mile range.  I have 3 weeks from saturday, so I'm hoping to get a couple more 10-13 milers in for the sake of confidence.  At least the half marathon course is more forgiving than the trail run course.