Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

I am officially 16 weeks post-op now.  I have a PT appt this afternoon.  Fingers crossed for some news about being able to run soon!  However, I can definitely tell that I am not at 100% yet.  I totally believe that this takes 6-12 months to fully heal now that I'm in the middle of it all.

Good luck!  What sorts of things are you still dealing with?

I have my 8 week appt with the surgeon today.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I wouldn't say that I have any issues, per say, but just...it's just not 100%.  I don't know if that makes sense or not.  Perhaps it's all muscular twinges at this point, I don't know.

But...my PT approved me to run for 30 seconds/walk for 4 minutes!!!!!!  For 5 intervals.  Every other day for two weeks until my next appointment.  Smile

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

i am sure they'll clear you very soon if not today.

I had my 3 month follow up today and i am CLEARED to run. I officially started to run at 2-1/2 months but not far.

He said that i am at where people 4-6 months would be. Everything healed well and i am off.

I will update every once in  a while to show any further progress.

I ran 70 minutes on the water treadmill this morning and ran 2 miles this afternoon. It feels freaking awesome!!

I am officially 16 weeks post-op now.  I have a PT appt this afternoon.  Fingers crossed for some news about being able to run soon!  However, I can definitely tell that I am not at 100% yet.  I totally believe that this takes 6-12 months to fully heal now that I'm in the middle of it all.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

btb1490

i am sure they'll clear you very soon if not today.

I had my 3 month follow up today and i am CLEARED to run. I officially started to run at 2-1/2 months but not far.

He said that i am at where people 4-6 months would be. Everything healed well and i am off.

I will update every once in  a while to show any further progress.

I ran 70 minutes on the water treadmill this morning and ran 2 miles this afternoon. It feels freaking awesome!!

Congrats, and good luck!

Hip Redux

I wouldn't say that I have any issues, per say, but just...it's just not 100%.  I don't know if that makes sense or not.  Perhaps it's all muscular twinges at this point, I don't know.

But...my PT approved me to run for 30 seconds/walk for 4 minutes!!!!!!  For 5 intervals.  Every other day for two weeks until my next appointment.  Smile

WELL... how did it go?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I wish I could say that it was magical and the clouds parted and rainbows appeared, but 30 seconds is hardly like running at all.  It's maddeningly short.  As soon as my watch beeped to start, it was beeping for me to stop.  30 seconds sounds better than it is.  But as for the running part, I think it felt okay.  My hip flexor felt a little sore toward the end, but it does that sometimes with walking (and I walked 4 miles during the "run".)  So we'll see after I get a few of these little runs under my belt.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

So long as it's pain free, you'll get there!  Gotta start somewhere.   Though I was hoping to hear about unicorns and cupcakes.

Hip Redux

There's an FAI + runner group now on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/311992318964077/

dallison

registered pw

cupcakes? did someone mention cupcakes?

2017 goals:

KathyL

9 days post op. I feel great! Very little pain. Just some sharp twinges if I move wrong. I am having a little trouble sleeping. I think I get uncomfortable from justnot moving enough. I went for my first crutch walk yesterday. A whole 4/10s. I took 20 minutes. Ugh! I see my OS Monday so we will ger PT scheduled then. I'm looking forward to getting to workSmile

Hip Redux

9 days post op. I feel great! Very little pain. Just some sharp twinges if I move wrong. I am having a little trouble sleeping. I think I get uncomfortable from justnot moving enough. I went for my first crutch walk yesterday. A whole 4/10s. I took 20 minutes. Ugh! I see my OS Monday so we will ger PT scheduled then. I'm looking forward to getting to workSmile

Yeah, I had trouble sleeping too.  I just didn't do anything during the day but relax, hard to do something with all the excess energy!  It'll get better!

dallison

registered pw

Here i am just under three months post op. So far in the past 8 days, i have run five hours in the pool. I also have 5 miles this week and 10 for the month.

I am concentrating on two mile runs for the time being. All feels well for the most part. The muscle around the hip is still getting acclimated to running again.

it aches and hurts just the slightest bit when running. Not a sharp pain or something that makes me want to stop, but one to remind me to not go too far or fast.

My pace is 9-11 min miles and even low 9's feel good.

I still stretch and exercise 1-2 hours per day.

Mandy, i am very sure you will be fine taking that first mile slowly and icing afterwards. Don't be afraid to test it, just do it slowly.

After my run, i came in and sat down at my laptop and heard that all too familiar beep. it was my garmin downloading my attempt at running.

For anyone else who reads these posts by all, i recommend prehab and really sticking to the rehab afterwards. Anyone who is moving every minute of the day like i am, you can do this and recover and not go completely insane. I did not listen to all of the dr's orders with partial weight bearing, not riding bikes, etc.

I am mostly thickheaded but not entirely stupid when it comes to recovery, you just have to really limit what you do until cleared. It is just like eating sweets, in moderation.

2017 goals:

Hip Redux

I went for my first bike ride today Smile  12 miles, about an hour, just an easy spin.   Then I went for an hour hike through the woods on the trail near my house.  No hip pain at all but my hip flexors are a little cranky.  This time it's the TFL at the front of my hip and not the psoas.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Dallison, you sound like you're doing great!  Although I am sure I could go out and run a mile, I am going to continue to follow my PT's plan of run/walk, with gradually increasing the running and decreasing the walking.  I

Oski, that's where my hip flexor tends to act up too.  No issues with it during biking, but sometimes I think I over stride while trying to walk too fast and irritate it.  I am glad you got outside on your bike!  I rode 403 miles this month with no issues.  I still don't think I'm ready to hit the mountain bike trails yet though.

Running is dumb.

shu_runner

I guess I'll hop on over here.

I injured my hip after a long run at the beginning of June.  I went to the doctor after about two weeks of pain.  It started as mostly pelvic pain, and I was concerned it may be osteitis pubis.  Then it spread to my groin, front and side of hip, and butt.  I would have pain just sitting, getting in and out of the car, and walking, but no real pain while running (weird).  My doctor thought I had bursitis or tendonitis of my hip flexor, sent me home with a steroid pack, and said to take it easy.  Also gave me hip flexor stretches and exercises, which only made the pain worse.  I did an X-ray while I was in the office at my initial appointment, and it showed no impingement.  I just had a follow up with him yesterday because the pain was still lingering.  He is sending me for a MRA next Wednesday.  He said that his working diagnosis is still tendonitis, but he wants to rule out a labral tear.  His words "I will be pretty mad if this turns out to be a torn labrum, because it just doesn't make sense.  It's so unlikely."  :shrug:  I have pain when I bend my leg at the knee and push it across the front of my body.  He said that is usually a physical indicator of a labral tear.  So basically, I don't know what to think.  I'm just trying to wait not so patiently for the MRA.  It's not like I have had years of pain or gradual built up of pain over time.  It was all pretty sudden.  I really don't want to have to join this thread, but I know I will be in good company if my worst fear comes true.

The kicker:  My husband has a labral tear and FAI, and he is currently doing the cortisone shot/physical therapy route to see if that helps.  If not, he will be doing surgery by the end of the year.  He was diagnosed a little over three weeks ago.  An unlucky pairing, apparently.