Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - You do have the weirdest taper issues. Hopefully the ankle issue does work itself out. I'm with you on the higher mileage thing. For some reason I feel better overall when I'm knocking out 80+/wk than when I'm even in the 60's.
    Also, "clearly not in your head"? [Morpheus] Your mind makes it real. [/Morpheus] 

DPS - That would be a crazy amount of snow for my area. Any idea how much you'll end up with?

Am I the only one around here who doesn't have a PT buddy??

This whole tapering off higher mileage just feels so very weird right now. I thought about cutting off just a mile or two off my usual loop this morning until I did the math on where that would put me for weekly mileage after tomorrow's workout and a short LR. Ended up cutting even more miles off the run and couldn't help the feeling of "just 7 miles? Why'd I even get out of bed?" I'm clearly going to have to plan out my exact mileage for each day of the next two weeks of the taper so I don't accidentally go overboard with the miles.

DD3 is improving pretty quickly, but still has a nasty cough. No more fever as of last night/this morning, so she's just about past contagious.
    I, on the other hand, am starting to come down with at least a sinus/upper respiratory infection. Historically I'm prone to them, but I haven't had one since around the beginning of the year. It always takes a round of antibiotics to clear these things up for me, but I run like garbage on them. Given that it usually takes about 10 days for that to clear out of my system, I'm already running out of time to treat this without risking it affecting the race.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

I, on the other hand, am starting to come down with at least a sinus/upper respiratory infection. Historically I'm prone to them, but I haven't had one since around the beginning of the year. It always takes a round of antibiotics to clear these things up for me, but I run like garbage on them. Given that it usually takes about 10 days for that to clear out of my system, I'm already running out of time to treat this without risking it affecting the race.

Also, "clearly not in your head"? [Morpheus] Your mind makes it real. [/Morpheus] 

Quit trying to 1 up everyone with your sickness. You've already 1 up'd everyone on your mileage.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Speaking of taper issues, I did get my first one last night! I had some posterior tibial tendonitis creep up in my left ankle last night, which is not where I had it in January. I started to panic as my 10 miler was pretty painful throughout, and it was so bad at night that I couldn't get off the ground with my leg (badly failing the one leg hop test). I kept telling myself in the run it's all okay, but when I failed that hop test, I got super worried that it was not a niggle. But having been through this so many damn times in my taper, I told myself to calm down and just get to work on it. So I iced it, stretched my lower calf, rolled it out, used my favorite electric massager, and taped it up. It feels better this morning and I know it's something that will be fine in a few days.

Wow, this sounds very similar to what I got last night.  Just a few minor pains in the ankle, which became quite major at times.  I iced it but after sitting down for 30 mins I couldn't put any weight on it whatsoever.  It's not swollen and has full movement and feels much better this morning.  I'm assuming it's just sympathy pain - does this mean I'm going to get all sorts of crazy "injuries" in the next week?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Quit trying to 1 up everyone with your sickness. You've already 1 up'd everyone on your mileage.

I think you're trying to crack a joke here, but honestly it comes across more like a snarky dig.  No-one wants to get sick this close to a race.

Also it would be great if we could not have another one of those phases where almost everyone on the thread is sick or injured like we did a few months ago.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I generally feel worse the first week of taper. The second week is more how I normally feel (so still bad). It's only with about 3 days to go where I say I'm ready to eat steel. Our bodies are weird. 7 miles is worth getting out of bed for. It's when you get to 45 minutes for a run where I feel like it's a waste.

Steve - PTT does really well with taping. Google it, you'll be happy you did. That, plus good massaging, and ankle strengthening. It's a real pain in the ass but you can knock it out if you're diligent.

Mark - I haven't been sick the entire year. Last time I took time off running was October 18. Of course I just jinxed myself and will get sick a few days before the race!

Going to test out a new pair of VF today. I feel like it's dumb to go into a goal race without making sure the pair you bought is perfect, even though it's exaclty the same shoe. DW said one of her VF pairs had a manufacturing defect, better to find out now than during the marathon.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I think you're trying to crack a joke here, but honestly it comes across more like a snarky dig.  No-one wants to get sick this close to a race.

Also it would be great if we could not have another one of those phases where almost everyone on the thread is sick or injured like we did a few months ago.

He's absolutely cracking a joke, this being a dig never crossed my mind. 

I'm all for us all staying healthy, too!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

He's absolutely cracking a joke, this being a dig never crossed my mind. 

I'm all for us all staying healthy, too!

Fair call, statement retracted on my part!  I just know how antsy I get if I'm starting to feel a bit sick with a race looming.

JMac- that's a really impressive run with staying healthy.  I've had the same thought about testing out shoes prior to a race even if it's a model you are very familiar with - I'd personally do a short run in them just to be sure.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac/Keen - wrap yourselves in bubble wrap until race day!

Jmac - I saw you mention the Manhattan drivers and I can attest that it was there that I first found drivers as aggressive and rude as my home town. It seems to be an ongoing meme too, cause I've just seen a scene of the tv show Crossing Lines where they go to Manhattan and the first thing that happens is a local cursing them 

Seeing Brewing and Rovatti posting here reminds me of the many lurkers in the thread. It's like when you're making a speech and the whole room is dark except for the spotlight only on the first few rows

I was able to get my strength session in today, super happy about that. Onwards to a proper squat and being able to hang from the bar with one arm only.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - PTT does really well with taping. Google it, you'll be happy you did. That, plus good massaging, and ankle strengthening. It's a real pain in the ass but you can knock it out if you're diligent.

Is the pain on the upper outside of the ankle bone?

2024 Races:

kimba

Steve - if it’s true PTT (posterior tibial tendinitis) pain is most likely inside of ankle.....

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - if it’s true PTT (posterior tibial tendinitis) pain is most likely inside of ankle.....

Okay, thanks.  My pain is on the upper outside part of the ankle bone.  I can manipulate my foot with no issues, no swelling but some pain when I walk (sometimes excruciating, sometimes minor).  I've had issues like this before where it seemingly builds up rather than caused by an incident.  I've been able to run through it generally but I don't want to do unnecessary damage.  It hurts most when turning left (it's on my outer left ankle.

A quick diagnosis from Dr DuckDuckGo suggests it may be Sinus Tarsi Syndrome.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Okay, thanks.  My pain is on the upper outside part of the ankle bone.  I can manipulate my foot with no issues, no swelling but some pain when I walk (sometimes excruciating, sometimes minor).  I've had issues like this before where it seemingly builds up rather than caused by an incident.  I've been able to run through it generally but I don't want to do unnecessary damage.

I want to say peroneal tendon but I'm sure Kimba has a better answer and I don't want to look dumb.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ohhh peroneal tendon I battled that one this cycle 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

kimba

I want to say peroneal tendon but I'm sure Kimba has a better answer and I don't want to look dumb.

Hahaha!  Not dumb at all.  But very difficult to differentiate potential pain sources from verbal reports.  Peroneals are, in fact, on outside of ankle as is sinus tarsi; sinus tarsi typically below the “ankle bone” (I assume you mean the knob that sticks out, the lateral malleolus).    Do you pronate excessively?  History of ankle sprain?

Good call, Mark!

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I don't think I pronate excessively and generally I haven't had many ankle issues although I had this same issue on my right ankle just before a race last year - this forum decided it was taper madness.  I've been stretching it this afternoon and it feels much better.  Any pain tonight and I'll replace my run with bike for now, it doesn't feel serious but no point creating an issue if I don't need to.

2024 Races: