La Jolla 1/2 (View from the 2 Hr types) (Read 797 times)

You've all read LifesaBeach's report. I wanted to give mine. A view from the "party-crowd" a few minutes back. This was my first race > 5k, and honestly intended to be a training run for RnR Marathon in June. Needless to say I had an awesome time and was impressed with the organization of the event of this size. Decided to drive to the finish and bus to the start. This requied us being to La Jolla at 5 am. Got to Del Mar at 5:30, cold. Hung out at the AM/PM to stay warm until the sun came up. 7:25 we were midpack in the coral, and the race started exactly at 7:30. 3 minutes later, crossed the start line. Spent a couple miles finding my pace and weaving in and out of people. Found my groove at about 3 miles and was on my pace (9:15). Crossed mile 5 at 45:40 with Torrey Pines hill coming up. I took out the mp3 player; and started the charge up the hill passing many walkers and others as I went. Felt great and let out a couple "whoops". Crested the hill at mile 7 at 1:07:40, and put the mp3 away. Next couple miles were fairly uneventful, so I struck up some good conversation with my fellow 9 minute pacers. At mile 10 we started down the hill, and I mean down. WOW! Steep! Knees started burning and I was probably working harder at slowing down where I should have just ran. Ran under an over pass where a guy had a sign "2 miles till beer". Actually some good motivation. At mile 12 there was the last hill, which was pretty rough and I was feeling it, but tredged on. Took the last right turn towards the cove and back down a steep hill. I actually kicked it pretty good at the end and came in at 2:03:50 beating my goal by over a minute. I honestly think if i'd had known I would be so close to breaking 2 hr, i'd have picked it up, but consciously held back to prevent injury prior to the Marathon. Overall, could not have asked for better weather. Really enjoyed the racing experience and being able to meet others while running. Probably could have done better if I'd have not been talking so much too... The Ice Cold Beer at the end was awesome. I really like the distance and may look to do more HM's in the future, but first thing first. RnR - June 3. Training continues tomorrow...
      Great report, SpinDr - glad you had such a good time, but there are no pictures of beer - 10 demerits.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

A most excellent race for your first > 5K. Congrats on beating your goal, and good luck with your marathon. I'll be anxious to hear how it goes.
        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
          I LOVED your race report! Sounds like you had a really enjoyable run and you finished with a great time! it was a really tough course, and a really tough course to do your first half marathon on so you should be uber proud. You should do the AFC and you'll very easily knock off 5 minutes, I'm sure. AFC was my first half back in 2005 and this last race was a 10 minute improvement time wise... it's taken me that much time to improve. Yes and just so you know, that course was WAY harder than anything you'll run in the Rock n Roll so the tough part is really over, give yourself a big round of applause! Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

You should do the AFC
            One of my "new running buddies" I met on the course, had a Carlsbad Half Marathon shirt that had wriiten "Triple Crown or Bust" on the back. She said the triple crown was Calsbad, La Jolla and AFC HM's in the same year. Sounds like a great combination for any San Diego runner. I'll be sure to keep AFC in my sights...

madness baby

Sounds like you a great race for you, and congrats on a great time for your first! I'll be at the AFC in August, so keep us posted in the half group if you're doing another. And good luck with the rest of your training for the marathon! Smile
              deb
                Nice race... and way to keep it under control remembering what your true goal is- the marathon!
                http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                  Congrats! Wink Thanks for sharing your experience and posting a course map. Looks like you all ran right along the coast... cool! By the way... If you'd run any slower, you might have missed the free beer! Shocked Any pain today? Over a week since running my first half (where there was no sign of free beer), my right foot has been hurting .

Vim

By the way... If you'd run any slower, you might have missed the free beer! Shocked Any pain today?
                    They brought a semi full of Micelob kegs, so it was freely flowing long after i'd had my two, but good motivation to pick it up a little just in case they run out. The only pain I am feeling is my knees. Otherwise feeling pretty good. What happened to your foot?
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ran under an over pass where a guy had a sign "2 miles till beer". Actually some good motivation. The Ice Cold Beer at the end was awesome.
                      The end of the Grand Rapids Marathon/Half had beer, too...and chili. Best post-race "meal" ever! Big grin Glad you had such a great race--I'll bet that really gives you confidence for your next big race, too! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

What happened to your foot?
                        I am not sure what the deal is with my right foot. I have tried running on it twice since the half, but for some reason the area on the outer section of the foot between the ball and heel starts aching bad afterwards. Today, the pain has not been too bad so I might give it a go tonight. Intern/co-worker (former collegiate runner ), told me it was probably arch issues and that I should roll my foot over a tennis ball. Before running, he suggested icing it.

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Modal, I have recently had that EXACT same issue. What worked for me was to go back to a more stable running shoe (things felt almost instantly better in the more controlling shoe). The shoe I wore all Winter without any issue was a more mild stability shoe, but after a month of running on dry roads my stability needs went back to needing something for more moderate-severe pronation. This could well be your issue, too. What sort of shoe are you currently in?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

One of my "new running buddies" I met on the course, had a Carlsbad Half Marathon shirt that had wriiten "Triple Crown or Bust" on the back. She said the triple crown was Calsbad, La Jolla and AFC HM's in the same year. Sounds like a great combination for any San Diego runner. I'll be sure to keep AFC in my sights...
                            yah. I'm doing the Triple Crown this year. Big grin THen there is the Silver Strand Half Marthon in November. That's about as flat as it gets...and I did horrible on it!

Jennifer mm#1231

Modal, I have recently had that EXACT same issue. What worked for me was to go back to a more stable running shoe (things felt almost instantly better in the more controlling shoe). The shoe I wore all Winter without any issue was a more mild stability shoe, but after a month of running on dry roads my stability needs went back to needing something for more moderate-severe pronation. This could well be your issue, too. What sort of shoe are you currently in?
                              I raced in and am using the Brooks Beasts (Motion Control). I sometimes use a pair of NB 991.

Vim

for some reason the area on the outer section of the foot between the ball and heel starts aching bad afterwards.
                                When I first started running last fall, I had simililar pain in my foot after running 4 miles. As a rookie, I wore the same size shoe as my normal shoe. Found out I needed a size and a half larger to allow my feet to swell on longer runs, plus got some superfeet insoles. My feet felt great after the HM; knees were killing but feet were fine.