Making user group names searchable (Read 613 times)

obiebyke

A couple of questions about user group names: 1. What is the character limit for user group names? 2. If I string words together to get past the character limit, will searches for any part of the word come up with the user group? The example: I need to make the user group I administer searchable, but Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Runners won't fit. If I do GayLesbianBisexualTransgender Runners, and someone searches for Bisexual, will the user group come up? 3. Will changing the name of the usergroup affect the membership or forums? Thanks much.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

eric :)

obiebyke, I don't have the code in front of me, but if I recall correctly, the search function also looks through the group description. If you include these keywords there, someone should be able to find it. You can enter a maximum of 64 characters in the group name. Changing of the name or its URL does not affect membership. If you change the URL, you may break the links in users' signatures. eric Smile
      obiebyke

Thanks, Eric. Much more fun to leave the name and edit the description. Funny glitch, though: is the word "gay" blocked on the site as a swear word? Every other term in my description shows up, but not that one! Funny. Wink

eric :)

It's not blocked. I use the text search function provided by the database and I believe it only consider words that are 4 characters or longer. I need to change it to 3 when I upgrade the log code.
          obiebyke

Thanks, Eric. You're my hero. No joke.