I did it and a question about training for half marathons (Read 789 times)

Imploder

Hey, you are almost exactly where I was last year this time. I finished c2k in mid february and ran my first 5k. In June I joined up with one of the USAFit groups (seattle) and trained for (and finished!) the Seattle half in November of last year. It was great. I definitely recommend checking into whether you have a local USAfit group near you -- I loved all the people I met and got to run with, and the training schedule made it as simple as it could be, just get up and get out there and run the miles. usafit.com -- no affiliation, just satisfied!
      I favor spending a good deal of time trying to improve at distances between 5k and 10k before moving up. It seems like more than 90% of newer runners these days immediately follow the crowd down the marathon mania path. In quick order they move from 5k to 10k to half marathon, and then the marathon, before they can run a decent 5k. They think it makes them more "advanced" which is interesting when you consider almost all top runners spend years competing at shorter distances before ever trying the longer races. Another myth among the less experience is that you don't need to run many miles if you are only going to compete in shorter races. This couldn't be farther from the truth. One of the of the most import keys, if not the most important, to improving as a runner is mileage...the more miles you can run the better, no matter if you specialize in the 5k or marathon. So, if we assume that to be able to run more miles is a major key to a runner's success, then why not run a lot of long races? Because you won't be able to train as much, that's one good reason... that is if you are actually racing and not just trying to finish when you enter a race. Long races take a lot out of us and make it harder for us to resume training when we've run one. This is true for experienced runners as well as beginners. It's much easier to work up to running more training miles when we don't run too many long races. Another reason is that it's just more fun to enter races when you are better at running them. That's why I encourage newer runners especially to train with the purpose of entering races to actaully race them rather than adopt the "just finish" mentality. You can practice running farther in training. When you go to races you will improve rapidly in the beginning before eventually start to level off. Progress will still continue for years, but it will be more gradual. This is the time to start thinking about entering some longer races; after you've had plenty of experience racing the shorter ones, you've gradually increased the number of miles you can run in training, and your performance gains have leveled off. The longer you can stay in this phase, the better. The current world record holder in the marathon, Haile Gebrselassie, began running as a teenager but didn't enter his first marathon until he was in his 30's. U.S. Olympic trials winner, Ryan Hall, just ran his first marathon last year after spending years honing his skills by racing shorter distances. Congraulations on your 20 minute run. Practice, practice, practice. There are many good books and programs that will help you along the way, and to run more if you choose to. You are off to a great start with couch 2 5k plan. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Don't let everyone push you into training for the marathon in your first year. O.k., I'm done...down off the soap box. Good luck with your running!
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      run4fun8910

Thanks Jim, That is a great perspective. You make some good points. I can see how running a bunch of 5k's and 10k's and imroving an these times would be an excellent motivator for the longer runs. Also knowing myself I can get over zelous at times and am prone to injuring myself. In looking over the schedules here where I live there are many more 5k's and 10'ks than there are half or full marathons. If I focus on doing these races the first year it will give me the opprotunity to participate in more races. Though I do know that I am not suppose to be so worried about speed at this time but rather than distance and form. To Jahara. I will check out the usafit.com. thanks for the suggestion. That is one thing that I am also looking for is people to run with in my local area. Shawn
        Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn

Imploder

I hope you find some cool folks, Shawn! I agree that people may jump into the marathon too quickly, and sometimes lament the emphasis on the marathon in the running world and press just generally, as my fave distances are 10k - 21k (half mar). THAT SAID - I tried running with a couple of local running groups filled mostly with people who ran 5 and 10Ks, and I couldn't keep up as a beginner. A multi-marathon friend actually sent me over to SeattleFit, not to run a marathon or half marathon, but as a way to find people training at slower paces. I meant to start out with the 2-mile long runs and meet people and bail out at 8 - 10 mile long runs. But once I got that far, i realized, heck, a half-marathon is well within my wheelhouse. And it was, after the 26-week training program. So I think sometimes beginners fall in with the 'thoners because they are the only ones we can catch up to!

Beatin' on the Rock

Sorry if somebody mentioned it and I missed it, but after C25K I did the One Hour Runner program. (OHR) http://www.coolrunning.com/major/97/training/swit0214.htm Now that I've done THAT, I'm using Hal Higdon's Half Training and I feel pretty good! Smile Keep movin!
            Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.