After a (first) marathon (Read 611 times)

Dog-Love

Some friends and I are making a rather large trek from AK to CA t run a marathon that is a in Susanville (a 4+ drive from SF Bay Area). I plan to get up to Susanville 2 days before and enjoy the sites and get in the marathon mood even though I have a lot of family and friends in San Francisco and Oakland who want me to stay down there longer. How about after the marathon? Should I stay in Susanville that night or try to drive back to the Bay Area and play? How am I gonna feel?
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
      My cautious answer would be for you to stay the night of the marathon instead of driving back right after the marathon. There are a couple of reasons why this is a good idea. The first thought is you do not yet know how your body will respond to the marathon. My best friend did her first at Disney and had to be carried home and iced for a few days before she could walk normally again. I just did my first in Charlotte this past December and I had so much energy I spent the night out on the town. Which brings me to the second good reason to stay the night. You will most likely meet some cool people at the marathon expo and you will want to go celebrate with them after the race. And, why not just have your family and friends come play with you in Susanville? That would be a win win for all! Well, hope this helps! Best wishes on the race!
      If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
      JakeKnight

How about after the marathon? Should I stay in Susanville that night or try to drive back to the Bay Area and play? How am I gonna feel?
        When I did my first marathon (Chicago, 1997), I was pretty under-trained. I drove the four hours back to Ann Arbor, leaving just a couple hours after the marathon. And my legs were so weak I had trouble holding down the gas pedal. If it had been a standard, I couldn't have used the clutch. I actually had to keep switching feet on the gas, and pulled over a couple times. Sometimes people will cramp up pretty bad after marathons, too. Not a problem when you're lying in the grass by the finish line. A massive leg and back cramp on the freeway might cause some real problems. So be careful. I wouldn't plan to drive back if there's a better option. (Or - at least, if you do, have cruise control!) And none of the above may happen to you. If you're well trained, and don't push too hard, it may be a breeze. But I'd still be cautious.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

When I did my first and only marathon so far I ran it with a rather large positive split. I really was thankful of the hotel room that night because I could barely walk my legs were in such bad shape.
            Personally I'd stay in Susanville & relax but, if you're set on traveling, con somebody who's not doing the marathon to drive. Rent a large car like a Caravan or something so you can stretch out if you start to cramp. If you're staying in a hotel make sure they have an elevator. Going downstairs won't be much fun for a couple of days.

Dog-Love

Going downstairs won't be much fun for a couple of days.
              and from Jake " my legs were so weak I had trouble holding down the gas pedal. If it had been a standard, I couldn't have used the clutch. I actually had to keep switching feet on the gas, and pulled over a couple times. Sometimes people will cramp up pretty bad after marathons, too. Not a problem when you're lying in the grass by the finish line. A massive leg and back cramp on the freeway might cause some real problems." From runningNorm "My best friend did her first at Disney and had to be carried home and iced for a few days before she could walk normally again" Now why do we run marathons again? Thanks you guys...I just booked my room (filling up fast out there) and will stay the night of the marathon. I do have to give 2 seminars in CA that following Tues and Wed and now I am dreading walking the stairs down to the lectern. Remind me not to wear heels and an evening gown.
              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              JakeKnight

Now why do we run marathons again?
                For the same reason that most great and greatly stupid feats are achieved: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Too little, too late. Get in the car, go to San Fran and have a blast. Just stop often and get out of the car and stretch. Why spend the night in the hotel? Sheesh, it takes 24-48 hours before the pain really sets in.

Dog-Love

Too little, too late. Get in the car, go to San Fran and have a blast. Just stop often and get out of the car and stretch. Why spend the night in the hotel? Sheesh, it takes 24-48 hours before the pain really sets in.
                    Here's the deal...my gal friends kind of want to climb Mt Lassen the next day and so we were undecided about the hotel on the night of the marathon. I wanted to walk around San Fran and they want to climb a mountain....I need some new running partners. I mean why climb Lassen when we can just as well climb Shasta? I can cancel my hotel 48 hours before and be no worse for wear.
                      I always request a 1st floor motel room, so there aren't stairs to worry about. Doesn't guarantee you'll get it, but I always have. Some good advice I got from a top notch ultrarunner: prop your legs up vertically on a tree, wall, or as I did, the back of a folding chair, for about 10 minutes immediately after the race. This supposedly drains the lactic acid from the legs. I did this for the 1 st time in February, and my recovery was about 1 day, or less!!!!! Also, don't forget the alternate cold water, warm water leg soak when you do get back to the motel. Luckily, the motel I was at hadn't started heating their pool for the season, so the pool-hot tub-pool-hot tub routine worked great!
                      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado