Anyone own a Suunto? (Read 691 times)

Just saw this from Xterra's website. I have Garmin 305 and absolutely love it but this thing looks like it's raising the bar in the do everything in wristtop market. Suunto. It ain't cheap but sure does look cool.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't own but have a friend that does. Great watches. I would love the one you linked to for hiking/navigation. But I doubt it has all of the training features of a 205/305, which are aimed specifically at runners and their training.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

My only complaint with my 305 is it's a little bulky to wear during a triathlon (not really an issue if you don't do those). The features for multi-sport are certainly there, it's just less than ideal design for a race like that. Just from the pictures, I can't imagine Suunto's unit could display more info than a Garmin especially the mapping stuff.
        Genyphyr

I own a Suunto. The model I own is not the same as the one you sent the link to - but the body design of the shell is the same. In fact the watch I have now is the 3rd one from the original purchase. The good thing is they honor their warranty. But the first one went back in 1 day since the alarm was 'too silent' (a tiny pip only audible if you held it right up to your ear). The second one lasted longer (almost a year) but then died when I took it in to the shop to have the battery replaced (no longer waterproof). I hope 3rd time is the charm. The watch is reliable as far as timings go but my main complaint is the design of the buttons. The button to change which feature you are on can be pressed inadvertently by your wrist being flexed. The number of times I have recorded erroneous 'training sessions' of 3 or 5 hours due to my wrist hitting the button to change to 'training mode' and then somehow also pressing the start button ... that part is annoying. I wish the buttons took a little more 'oomph' to press or stuck out less - to me the design is lacking in that way. But as far as measuring altitude, timing etc. I have had no inaccuracies compared to the maps of the region etc. as long as I set it to a known altitude before starting out.