sub 40 10k or sub 90 1/2? (Read 166 times)

mhartin

Hi all, trying to decide which would be the tougher challenge for this year?

My gut says the sub 40 10k is harder to achieve, although i wonder if the volume needed to run sub 90 makes this tougher.

Personally biggest challenge is probably staying healthy enough for long to give either a good crack.

DigDug2

McMillan calculator says a 40:00 10K is equivalent to a 1:29:10 HM, so the 10K target in theory is "tougher."  Much depends on your strengths as a runner - I'm stronger at shorter distances and have trouble hitting the "equivalent" of my 5K as I move up in distance, even with lots of volume, so the HM target might be tougher for someone like me.

I would say that you can race a lot more 10Ks throughout the year than HMs - although they're difficult to find in some regions, they're a lot easier to recover from!

mhartin

I need to check out that calculator. I ran 19:13 for 5k back in November before an injury, so if i can get back into that sort of shape i hope the sub 40 would be doable.

SMART Approach

It is close. How many miles you run per week? What is your history? Have you run halfs before? One year I ran a 41:03 10K and one month before ran a 1:30:35 half on about 25-30 miles per week.  Depends on many variables, your history of carrying over your 5K performance to longer events, muscle make up, training, racing strategy etc.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mhartin

Generally around 25 miles a week, although hoping to push that past 30 miles a week this year.

I tackled a half but it was 4 years ago (1:33), distinctly remember the last few miles feeling like a bit of a death march but never went further than 12 miles in training so not a huge shock in hindsight.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

For someone starting from 0 or low mileage, I think they're more likely to run sub-40:00 long before they are ready to run sub-1:30 because it takes a lot of time and miles to work your way up the kind of mileage most runners need for that time in a HM. For someone who already runs good HM training miles I expect the sub-40:00 for 10K would be harder. My own experience bears this out though I'm also sure this is by no means generally the case. By the time I worked my 10k time back down to sub-40:00 I was running 1:27 for the HM.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

runnershawn

For someone starting from 0 or low mileage, I think they're more likely to run sub-40:00 long before they are ready to run sub-1:30 because it takes a lot of time and miles to work your way up the kind of mileage most runners need for that time in a HM. For someone who already runs good HM training miles I expect the sub-40:00 for 10K would be harder. My own experience bears this out though I'm also sure this is by no means generally the case. By the time I worked my 10k time back down to sub-40:00 I was running 1:27 for the HM.

second this, by the time i got under 40 in 10k i ran a 1:27 in half not too long after.  10k's are tough

bhearn

Those were pretty equivalent milestones for me.

bhearn

never mind

kcam

If you've been running a lot of mileage I have to believe the <1:30 half will be easier but not by much.  Out of curiosity I went back to the old days to see how I did.  Turns out  I could run a <1:30 1/2 well before I dipped under 40 for the 10K.  But I had been running probably about 40mpw with at least two days off per week and never raced anything shorter than the marathon so definitely undertrained compared to how I train now.  I ran a 40:45 10K in March of 98 and then a marathon in April, another marathon in October (3:20, 3:06) and finally a 1/2 in 1:29:03 in Jan '99.  I did run a 39:28 not too much later (in March of 99) so it's not clear-cut   Also, in Jan 2000 I ran 1:31:45 for the 1/2 and Mar 2000 ran 39:32 for 10K.

Moral of the story ... who knows, you just have to get after it and see for yourself.

Like many have said - it all depends on your strengths.  I'm not very good half marathons....I run up 40 mpw during training blocks and still can't break 1:30...but I can run 39:20 for a 10K and 18:15-18:30 for the 5K off this mileage.  

LRB

For me, one was not necessarily easier than the other, they were equally tough. I did run the sub-1:30 first, but was probably in sub-40:00 shape when I did it. Both were the result of 5 and 10k specific training running around 50 miles per week.

My thought is to train for speed first, but that's mostly because I suck at distance. 

Charles G

I broke 1:30 five months before breaking 40. But in between I ran my first marathon. The marathon training is why I broke 40.

Olympichopeful

sub 40 minute 10k would be easier than a sub 90 half imo. Would rather run a 10k than half any day!

Instagram | Website | Strava

Olympichopeful.com - Olympichopeful is a blogging platform for aspiring athletes. The goal of Olympichopeful is to bring aspiring athletes and their followers to one location to broaden and expand their audience's.

Sponsors: 
                              Skechers | Zwift | Squirt Lube

bhearn

Would rather run a 100k than half any day!

FIFY