Can new shoes cause an injury? (Read 543 times)

satt

I switched from wearing very minimalist-type Nikes to wearing Asics with a lot more cushioning and support. Is there a possibility that a switch in these shoes could've caused a groin strain? My new shoes feel a lot heavier. Should I keep running in them and getting used to them, or should I try a different shoe

DoppleBock

Why did you switch

I found a shoe that worked 9.5 years ago and I have stuck with that series since.  Started with Asics 1050s and now on Asics 1160s.  About 600 miles per pair of shoes and 45k total, so I have bought @ 75-80 pair.

I have 5 or 6 in the box as I always buy on deep discount when they are discontinued for the next model.

Although I do say that the last 2 pair took some time to break in - That has never happened before, in the past they went from the box to mu feet and felt great for even a 20 miler.  The last 2 pair took 50 miles of 5-10 mile runs to feel right.

http://a-big-horse.blogspot.com/ 

2013 Goals ~ Mar < 3:00, 5M < 29, 10k < 35  

satt

Why did you switch

I found a shoe that worked 9.5 years ago and I have stuck with that series since.  Started with Asics 1050s and now on Asics 1160s.  About 600 miles per pair of shoes and 45k total, so I have bought @ 75-80 pair.

I have 5 or 6 in the box as I always buy on deep discount when they are discontinued for the next model.

Although I do say that the last 2 pair took some time to break in - That has never happened before, in the past they went from the box to mu feet and felt great for even a 20 miler.  The last 2 pair took 50 miles of 5-10 mile runs to feel right.

I switched because I needed new shoes for track, and the guy who helped me (he was a track coach) said that I would need something with more support, and that he recommended the Asics over any Nikes.

For what it's worth, I used to have groin issues after long runs. I'd sneeze and, woa, mamma.  It never lasted more than a few hours, but it was there. 

After downshifting to lighter shoes, I seem to experience it less intensely and less frequently. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

It doesn't seem as though a groin strain would be linked directly to shoes, but they might cause you to run more awkwardly...

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

Loves the outdoors

I vote yes - I changed shoes once on the advice of my Physio and had lots more calf pain issues. I think anything that substantially changes the way you run could cause an issue if you don't make a gradual change.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.
              satt

So should I ditch the shoes or no? Because I don't think Dick's would take them back now...I've had them for over a month.

I have been running in the Nike free series...currently the +3 with no problems.  I recently bought a pair of Altra Superiors (zero drop).

I followed the instructions to ease into running in them.  Now my left foot, which I injured in a race in July, is hurting.

Thinking of seeing a sports podiatrist.

So yeah new shoes can cause an injury.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I don't think they can outright cause an injury BUT they can alter your form and without a break in period in which your body gets used to them, you can definitely either have serious pain OR an injury can eventually result.  I switched from a neutral shoe to a stability shoe last year and within a month or so developed ITBS that took months to get past.  At that point I had become so used to running in the stability shoes that it took me months to be able to transition back out of them.  It sounds like your transition is similar- I would definitely transition slowly from any one "type" of shoe to another.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

knbradley2822

This has just happened to me! I switched from my kinvara 3's to the mizuno wave rider 15 and came home from a two mile run limping due to a fierce pain on the outer edge of my foot. I didn't think two miles would be that fast of a transition but apparently it was. Now I'm left figuring out whether to return them or not.