Back pains? (Read 477 times)

Asfixiator

Im 20 and fairly new to running I can only do a mile or so at the moment but working on that anyway after I do my mile I get terrible back pains that cause me to stop do I work through this or stop?

Hoban-Jay

Get it looked at before you decide.  Could be serious, could be your shoes, could be just something to work through as you're starting out...

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

http://www.nismat.org/orthocor/programs/lowback.html

# 14 works good for me. Arm lifts.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Black-Toe-Nailed

Get it looked at before you decide.  Could be serious, could be your shoes, could be just something to work through as you're starting out...

Indeed. It can be anything. Most frequently bad running form, muscle imbalances or Morton's Toe. Shoes taht are too small can also cause a lot of pain by forcing you to keep your feet in a weird position.

Regarding shoes, new studies show that what is actually important is to use a show where you feel comfy with, more than any magic stuff the  manufacturers promise... and steer clear from stability correctors and all this stuff.

I would also get myself a book about Chirrunning or Pose running. I don't know how you strike but bad form is the most frequent culprit for any kind of pains. Bad form and running too fast. Besides the books you should also consider a heart rate meter (cheap as hell, they are available starting at 20 USD or even less) or a GPS (more expensive) to have an idea of your level of effort and pace. The idea is to run slow and relaxed until you build up enough fitness and stamina to go faster.

And run/Walk is also a good idea (alternate intervals of running and walking) you will this way build up condition and not overdo at the same time.

You can also be suffering from a condition called Lordosis, this is an excursively curved lower back. In this case your doctor will surely address you to a gym, there are a number of easy exercises that can help you to correct it.

Well, I hope you get it fixed soon ! Smile

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
          then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
          I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

Im 20 and fairly new to running I can only do a mile or so at the moment but working on that anyway after I do my mile I get terrible back pains that cause me to stop do I work through this or stop?

What do you mean by "terrible?" Is it localized to a particular part of your back? Lower back? Does running actually aggravate the pain, and how quickly does it subside when you stop? Does it radiate down to your legs/feet, any tingling, numbness, or other neurological symptoms?