weight training (Read 876 times)

Does anyone consistantly lift weights (4 to 5 days a week)while training for a marathon? I'm just wondering if that would hinder or help my running fitness.
    http://ericstarrtraining.blogspot.com/
      Well, looking at your training log, and IF running a marathon, and runing one well, is your objective; then trying to fit in 4~5 times a week of weight trainig probably won't help you much at all. Adding one or two more days of running would do so much better for you with that. Of course, if your objective is to look impressive on the beach, that would be the way to go.
      ivyC

I do hit the gym 2x a week sometimes 3. I do circuits light weights high reps one day and legs and core the other. I XT with kettlebells. some people may have different opinions but hey it works for me.
          Do I consistantly lift weights? No. Do I think it would help? Yes. Do I think it would help as much as more running? Not likely. Bottom line (IMHO): A little bit of weights is really good, as long as you aren't cutting down on running to do it.
          Scout7

If you weight train instead of running, it will hinder it. You can do sport-specific strength training. Go run hills.
            mark-bixler

I just joined a gym myself....The price was too good to pass up....I plan on doing approx 4 days per week....Like someone above said, light weight, high reps...Nothing that is going to bulk me up too much...The upper body work will help with running form and the lower body work will help to avoid injury...My marathon is in March and I plan on getting through this one much stronger than the last.....And I agree, if the gym work starts to get in the way of getting your miles in, then cut back...

Listen. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some. That's the marathon business.

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.

Scout7

I find that running lots of miles helps me feel stronger through the marathon. Your mileage may vary.
                  I lift a lot during the winter time (three or four times per week), not as much in the summer. As far as lifting to enhance your marathon, I dont think it will help a lot......the best benefit of lifting (for running) is that runners tends to get their muscles out of balance (were talking about leg muscles here) and lifting weights will work the opposing muscles and can help reduce running related injury (provided you are working the opposing muscles in you legs and not just your bi's and tri's and pecs). This being said.......Weight training is great for you and overall is what can make you stronger and feel better - I recommend it to anyone - including marathon runners....I just don't think its going to make you faster. Runners (me included) tend to be a little one dimensional and weight lifting goes a long way to over all health and not just aerobic health.

Champions are made when no one is watching

The shirtless wonder

I used to lift 4-5 times per week and run. Now that I'm training for another marathon I've found that I can't keep it up. I just don't have enough energy to run the mileage that I'm doing and hit the weights. There's also an issue of only having 24 hours per day but it's more about not having enough energy to do it all. My priorities have shifted towards running and thus my attendance at the gym has decreased. In addition my weight training has changed. I used to do a lot of heavy weight and I'd be at the gym for quite a while doing my workouts. I've since switched to lighter weight and I time myself -- I keep it to 1 minute between sets. This is a huge departure from how I used to lift. After my fall marathon I'll probably get a little more balance back into things. I'll probably run a little less than I am now and lift a little more. Check out my calendar for the last 3-4 months to get an idea of what I've been doing.
                    AroundTheHorn

I work out 5 to 6 days a week, as well as run everyday. It's all a matter of perspective. I don't know if it really helps my running, but I know I feel more rounded in that I workout almost every muscle. I don't really know my peak yet because I was a workout first, run second kind of guy. However, I'm starting to favor running more these days so I'm no where close to my peak. I run 6 to 10 miles a day and have been getting better at it each time. Time will tell (well, it will have to wait since I'm injured right now).
                      Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.