Wacky 5K Chicago Race (Good Laugh Here!!) (Read 690 times)

The Greatest of All Time

This was to be my first 5K in at least 10 years. I was psyched up for this race and as some of you know, I came down with a chest cold last weekend. This morning I was over it for the most part, but still had some phlegm coming up this morning. Not a big deal. The fun started yesterday afternoon. After having sushi for lunch I started to get really intense pain in my groin and right lower abdomen. I have a long and painful history with kidney stones. Based on the fact that I had a lot of blood in my urine a couple of weeks ago, I thought “well, here we go again.” I have a real hard time passing even the smallest stones. I went to a local ER and told the doctor it felt like a kidney stone and given my extensive history, she thought it probably was too. A CT scan proved otherwise. I had no kidney stone, but had an impacted rectum. In other words, I was full of shit. This came as quite a shock to me because I don’t have constipation problems. I eat a very high fiber diet, etc. But, oh well this is better than a stone. I told her that I had a race this morning and she said it might be problematic because the laxative she was going to give me was going to drain all of the water (along with everything else) from my digestive system. I would, therefore, likely be dehydrated and my electrolytes would be totally out of whack. I applied the laxatives from both ends and went home. 15 trips to the toilet later (you can laugh now) and about ten pounds lighter, I got up this morning feeling less than 100% but I wasn’t going to miss this race. I got downtown and during my warm-up I could tell it was going to be a crap race. Something just didn’t ‘feel’ right. I was having major anxiety about shitting myself during the race like Uta Pippig did at Boston in 1996. If any of you have seen that video then you know Dear Uta HTFU on that day. The race started and my HRM wasn’t working because it was getting no signal from the transmitter. It was about 42 and very windy so I guess my chest was too dry and I forgot to put some spit on it before the start. Well, it was perceived exertion time. I went out about 5 seconds behind the lead group of about 7. I went through the first mile in 5:40, and I thought “man, that’s slower than where I thought I would be”. I was hoping to run at least 5:30’s or faster. It just got worse from there. My insides started cramping which prevented me from staying relaxed. Once I got tense my pace suffered. I finished in a disappointing 18:50. I was 24th out of 958 total finishers and 3rd of 71 in my age group. At least I got a medal. Next 5K is in two weeks, I am going to hope I am not crapping my guts and nuts out before that one and maybe I might run a little faster.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I got downtown and during my warm-up I could tell it was going to be a crap race.
      Shit...that blows. Evil grin *runs away while Marcus is too occupied on the crapper to retaliate*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wow, what a crappy story! You may not feel that 18:50 was so hot - but I'm damn impressed that you went to the race at all after all those problems. Congrats on the finish!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

The Greatest of All Time

Wow, what a crappy story!
          No pun intended I am sure Yes Thanks for the encouragement though. I am jealous you're in Texas....I am a UT Austin alum, and I dearly miss Austin and the Texas winters in general. Chicago winters suck, but the summers are much nicer than Austin summers.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Chicago winters suck, but the summers are much nicer than Austin summers.
            *waves from across the lake* Yeah...we get to bitch all Winter, but running in the Great Lakes region in the Summer is downright cool (though often no less humid) than much of the rest of the US.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

What horrible timing! That's too bad. I think your race was really good, under the circumstances. You'll have plenty of chances to improve your time! I just posted an Aggie/Okie joke on the OTBT forum for us Texas Exes.

Another Passion

Maybe that's why I am so slow... I'm full of sh*t?!? Roll eyes That's still a blazing race dude! Congratulations under the less than perfect GI conditions Marcus! Dead

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Kevin Horst

Do you know if results of this race are posted online somewhere? I ran in it too but can't seem to find them. Anyways, I'm sure you will bounce back in 2 weeks Wink

The Greatest of All Time

Do you know if results of this race are posted online somewhere? I ran in it too but can't seem to find them. Anyways, I'm sure you will bounce back in 2 weeks Wink
                    The results will be somewhere on www.chicagoevents.com but their website is way slow and appears to be down right now. Sad

All business

Do you know if results of this race are posted online somewhere? I ran in it too but can't seem to find them.
                      I ran the New Years Day 5k (by chicagoevents.com) and the results still aren't up on their site. They are up on chicago athlete mag though. http://www.chicagoaa.com/results/searchable.html Wacky 5k will probably be up there soon. So is there a bunch of us running the St Patty's 5k on the 15th?

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

The Greatest of All Time

So is there a bunch of us running the St Patty's 5k on the 15th?
                        I am, but I thought it is on the 16th?