Going very fast on the treadmill--safe? (Read 565 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

And if treadmill walking or running isn't different than hard surface mechanics, then why do treadmills so often become expensive clothes hangers after six months of use?

What biomechanic change happens at six months?

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

joescott

And if treadmill walking or running isn't different than hard surface mechanics, then why do treadmills so often become expensive clothes hangers after six months of use?

What biomechanic change happens at six months?

Clearly, I cannot choose the vial in front of you.

Huh?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

why do treadmills so often become expensive clothes hangers after six months of use? 

The same reason why gym memberships go unused? The same reason why married couples never use that Cuisinart food processor they registered for? The same reason why I have lots of books on my shelf of which I've only read a short portion?

I'm pretty certain it has nothing, or very little, with mechanics, and much more to do with "Oh, that sounded like such a good idea at the time."

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

One of the biggest problems with treadmill running is that I can't get away from my various odors. Running outside the smells tend to get left behind. But after an hour or more on the treadmill, that room stinks.

Verdict? Treadmill is not safe to use in small spaces if you have a functioning nose.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I'm pretty certain it has nothing, or very little, with mechanics, and much more to do with "Oh, that sounded like such a good idea at the time."

The biomechanic differences between solid ground and moving belt is very easy to measure. Its the balance compensations necessary to walk on the belt which impacts the individual step width measurements for incline compensation.

Because of that most treadmills will be used with a level belt rather than with incline.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Latent Runner

One of the biggest problems with treadmill running is that I can't get away from my various odors. Running outside the smells tend to get left behind. But after an hour or more on the treadmill, that room stinks.

Verdict? Treadmill is not safe to use in small spaces if you have a functioning nose.

Especially the day after I've made my famous (in some circles) Spaghetti aglio e olio in which I use roughly a bulb of diced and sautéed garlic per serving (not to mention a generous application of crushed chili peppers to the oil).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
              • 2-mile: 13:49
              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
              • 5-Mile: 37:24
              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
              joescott

The biomechanic differences between solid ground and moving belt is very easy to measure. Its the balance compensations necessary to walk on the belt which impacts the individual step width measurements for incline compensation.

Because of that most treadmills will be used with a level belt rather than with incline.

Well now that is much more clear.

- Joe

mikeymike

Who on God's green earth holds onto the hand rails?

There was this woman on the treadmill in front of me at the gym just now who held onto the hand rails while she stretched her hips before she started running. It was pretty awesome, actually.

Runners run

joescott

clearer.

more clearer.

- Joe

an amazing likeness

Sounds like you folks may have run this one to ground....could you help out with the old "Could an Airplane on a Treadmill Take Off?" question.  TIA

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

clearer.

more clearer.

And in studying, you must have learned that man is mortal so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the vial in front of me.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Who on God's green earth holds onto the hand rails?

The only thing my handrails are used for is hanging towels.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zonykel

In outdoor running, forward motion is momentum, which is a balance force that simply doesn't exist if you're on a treadmill.

bhearn already touched on it, but the above really doesn't make sense.

Momentum = (mass) (velocity) and

Force = (mass) (acceleration)

There is no way that momentum can be a balance force because it's not a force.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

People am dum

Sounds like you folks may have run this one to ground....could you help out with the old "Could an Airplane on a Treadmill Take Off?" question.  TIA

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                              Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You know you're a biomimeticist when...

* everything is like a fish

* you can't explain your own degree

* you use the term biomimetic in every sentence

* not even Google doesn't know what you are

* people use your degree to apply for a Ph.d in another university

* you think tibia and fibia are 2 sisters who live in the ulna

* when you can't figure out something

* you think you're the only biomimeticist in the world

* you don't know why your professors are teaching you

* you know what a biomimetic bra looks like