2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Andres1045

I'll take it. Based on my attempt to meet up with Andres at NYC in the corral, I imagine it's going to be nearly impossible to find each other. We can discuss as we get closer though.

Boston is actually quite a bit easier to meet up at. Everyone gets on the bus at around the same time. It's kind of easy to find a spot to meet up at before loading up on the bus. I've found people the past 3 years without any kind of problems. It sure made the nearly 4 hours before the race go by much easier. In 2017 I met Weatherboy and JT at a statute before getting on the bus, although we got separated soon after since our group ended up being huge. I did manage to run in to JT again a couple of times along the course after that. There's a ton of the other RWOL guys that do it every year. I've hung out with Slammin briefly 2 if not 3 of the years.

I had three different plans to meet with people for NYC.  I didn't manage to link up with any of them because of the chaos. And you spend sooooo much time getting to the park that it's ridiculous. While the logistics of Boston are not necessarily the easiest, it's way easier than NYC.

And yes, MMC, there are mile markers every mile. I think they also have each 5k marked with mats and signs.

Upcoming races: Boston

Boston is actually quite a bit easier to meet up at. Everyone gets on the bus at around the same time. It's kind of easy to find a spot to meet up at before loading up on the bus. I've found people the past 3 years without any kind of problems. It sure made the nearly 4 hours before the race go by much easier. In 2017 I met Weatherboy and JT at a statute before getting on the bus, although we got separated soon after since our group ended up being huge. I did manage to run in to JT again a couple of times along the course after that. There's a ton of the other RWOL guys that do it every year. I've hung out with Slammin briefly 2 if not 3 of the years.

I had three different plans to meet with people for NYC.  I didn't manage to link up with any of them because of the chaos. And you spend sooooo much time getting to the park that it's ridiculous. While the logistics of Boston are not necessarily the easiest, it's way easier than NYC.

And yes, MMC, there are mile markers every mile. I think they also have each 5k marked with mats and signs.

Brings back memories... when we met on the course we were both feeling pretty rough right Andres? I agree it is quite easy and worked well meeting up with people before the race. My one suggestion for anyone who is a nervous pre-race pee-er like me: try to empty the old bladder right before that bus ride. It was a nice ride but I was about to burst... I think Weather was in the same situation. By the time we got off the bus, got to the tent, then waited in line for the urinal, and finally could go I think I peed out about a gallon. 

2:52:16 (2018)

Swim5599

Fin yes every mile is marked.  Every 5k as well

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

finbad

FinBad - My young Padawan is doing it this weekend. She just ran her first 10K this weekend and PR'd the 2nd 5K. she ran 37:44 for her 1st 10K, I'm a proud Pappa.

The truth is 4 miles at MP plus 90

6 miles at MP

4 miles at MP plus +35

6 miles at MP minus -10

2 easy

Its tough but its worth it. Its done 3-5 weeks out.

That is a tough looking workout. I've been thinking of potential hard long runs for my last 20+ this weekend so I might get brave and give it a go.

Congratulations on the race result, quality time for the first attempt, especially with a faster back half.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Running Problem

Problem Child

jmac What did you end up wearing on race day? While I won't pay for the 4% bonus I feel the zoom flys are giving me a similar bonus at the end of long hard runs.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

M_M_C

NB 1400s are pretty good and are what most people I know race in

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Vaporfly FTW. They're the real deal. Go out and spend the extra 90 dollars on them for race day.

MMC - Those used to be pretty popular, but I'd say this weekend for those running around me, VFs were not only a plurality, but a majority.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

I've been doing most of my bigger workouts in the NB 890v6 shoe.  Not going to change now, but I'd be curious about the VF's myself!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

jayluf

Flashback to the start line @ Shamrock and me laughing while looking at the 90%+ of the first 3 rows with VFs. I've logged 4 marathons, 1 half, and a few workouts with them and sadly think they're just about done. 150 miles.

Vaporfly FTW. They're the real deal. Go out and spend the extra 90 dollars on them for race day.

MMC - Those used to be pretty popular, but I'd say this weekend for those running around me, VFs were not only a plurality, but a majority.

jayluf

We should choose a bar for a post race meetup for anyone staying in town Monday night.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hey all - sorry about disappearing.  I am alive and have not yet drowned myself in a toilet out of frustration.   Sunday night was our anniversary, and then Monday-early Tuesday have been quite busy work-wise, so I'm playing catch-up now.

Boston -  I'm NOT running it, but I am entered.  If you want a data point, 2:57:42 got me 1/5 - bib 4029.

I'm flying up to Boston on Friday the 12th, and then racing the BAA 5K on the 13th, grabbing my bib and experiencing the expo, and then flying home the evening of the 13th.  If anyone's there that day, I'd love to say hi face to face.

Sling - I was in 1/8 last year.  They call you from athlete's village to the wave in staggered order - 1/2 get called, then 3/4, then 5/6, then 7/8 - about 10 minutes between each, I think. If you're in 1/2, you're standing in the corral a long time.  Then once the gun goes off, it will take some time to cross the start - Boston is a similar size to Chicago, but since it's so much faster, you're much further back in the corral than you are used to.

Also, thanks for all the thoughts, guys.  Nimmals - I went ahead and set up an appt with a GI doctor - I couldn't get into my own until April 5, so I got a reference for a new guy who could see me this Friday.  Bonus is that he does triathlons and bikes centuries - one sticking point with my previous GI doctor (who I liked in general) was that he didn't quite get my caloric requirements as a marathon runner.

I honestly don't think there's anything sinister going on, but I'm a big believer in consulting with professionals whenever questions arise.

Ugly race report is here.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

M_M_C

I bet. Most people I know just don't want to spend that much on shoes

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

finbad

We should choose a bar for a post race meetup for anyone staying in town Monday night.

This would be good. I'm in Boston/Cambridge Sunday to Tuesday.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

M_M_C

I won't be able to make it. I live wicked close to the start of the marathon and will be heading home afterwards.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I won't be able to make it. I live wicked close to the start of the marathon and will be heading home afterwards.

*applause*

(no, seriously - I lived up there for a few years when I was in grad school/law school, and reading that brought back memories Smile

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.