Switched to the Half.. now what? (Read 139 times)

Travis8880

Hey Everyone,

I had to switch from a full marathon to the half, after coming up short on my last few long runs.  I now have two week of training before a shortened taper.  Any thought on any key workouts I should get in?  I was training to a goal MP of 7:20... but not a lot at half pace (6:40ish)

Thanks in advance

I'm curious how you figure 6:40 for your half marathon goal pace, given that marathon training that targeted 7:20 didn't work out. Isn't 7:00 more realistic? Regardless, you could try the last 3 weeks of Hanson's half marathon plan, which calls for 2 more runs at HMP.

Travis8880

I've done two halfs before on about half the mileage I'm currently at,  they were 1:28 and 1:27... I feel like I will

at least be around there... I'm hoping with the right sharpening maybe quicker.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Do some tempos at your HMP.  If you don't feel you're ready to do 5-6 miles continuous HMP, do cruise intervals - miles or 2M with 2-3 min jog between.

I also like the Magness lactate clearing workouts which you can find at http://www.wchsonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Lactate-Clearing.pdf  At this point, maybe just do the half mile alternations, HMP-5 and HMP+35, unless you feel up to the 1000/600.

CT JEFF

I switched to the half as well. My best HM pace was a hair under 9:00, thats not this year. I hurt my foot somehow about 8 wks ago. I took 2 weeks off completely, but I wasnt doing much training before that. My last-minute long runs were for 14 and 12 miles instead of 16 to 20. I am pretty sore after these long runs. But I got my taper going now and the race is tomorrow. I cant explain why exactly I so miss the idea of finishing the FM. But coming in at 6+ hours is an even worse thought for me.

Since I am still injured (healing slows down when you keep aggravating it) - I am setting my goal as 2:37 (about 12 min pace). lately my 5k and 10k times have been about 9 and 10 min pace, so who knows.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!