Kick user message (Read 878 times)

Why is it sideways?

Thats what she I said, let the owner of the group know about it. If the shield bearing f-tard is being an ass over and over again, they probably don't need the admin powers.

This would work for me.

xor

Eric's idea would at least give the Admin or Owner of the group the info so they can decide if this particular person should even have admin rights or not. If you get booted several times then you can pm the Owner and they can figrure out whats up without it being public. If you out the kicker, they may not want to boot members for legitimate reasons if they have to publicly debate it every time someone is sensitive to being booted..

I get that.

My response was to the complete disagreement that logging (or maybe it was disagreement about informing the user) was a good thing, and the subtext around "I keep having a feeling that this may not be a good idea, but I can't come up with the reason."

I tried really hard to figure out something, even at a "weird vibe" level about what might be wrong with tracking this and I can't.  So I'm puzzled.

Feeling the growl again

Thats what she I said, let the owner of the group know about it. If the shield bearing f-tard is being an ass over and over again, they probably don't need the admin powers.

Sorry, I missed that line of your post.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

What's more interesting is the amount of traffic that is generated in a discussion on who, what, when, where, why a person is kicked out of an internet running forum.  1) Does it really matter?  Who effin' cares?  2) Granted the 'kicker kicking the kickee' out of the house has become more of an issue with the RWOLgees' arrival, but just how big or more important, how important is this issue really?  3) Wasn't this site originally created for peeps who wanted to use the training log?  Rumor has it that some who have been using the log for several years had no idea a forum even existed.  While this may or may not be true, again, live and let live.

1. It apparently matters to a few of us, hence the discussion.  Is it a big deal?  No, not really.  But AP started a thread, so it gets discussed.  As priorities go, this would rank somewhat low to me... but it IS kind of annoying to some of us.  Either those who are the butt of the joke or those who are tired of the "who farted?" ("who kicked me out?" "ok, assholes, who kicked him out?") threads.  Or, more importantly, in the rare serious case... "serious" is in the eye of the beholder of course, but "message board serious"... it just kind of matters.

2.  Sort of, but not really.  This discussion wasn't started to be about lno or bf specifically.

3. I dunno.  Rumors are funny.

I still don't like the message to the kickee idea, but I do like your alternate solution. Not that you're listening. Tongue

I've been thinking about this, including discussing it with Mrs. eric Smile.  Interestingly, she strongly oppose it, not that I listen to her anyway ;-)  Her feeling is that if you're constantly booted from a group, maybe you shouldn't go back in.

I don't think sending a message to you when you're kicked is all that hard.  Probably just a few lines of code.  A few more if the admin is required to provide a reason.  I'm still debating if this feature is worth adding.  I keep having a feeling that this may not be a good idea, but I can't come up with the reason.

An alternative solution would be to log all admin activities within a group, such as:

- when the owner grants/removes admin privilege to a user

- when a user is kicked

- when a user is banned/unbanned

The info would be accessible only to admins, which should also achieve the same goal as receiving a message in your case.

Amy

an amazing likeness

Keep in mind that there are 'kicks' which are (1) legitimate; and (2) aren't done as a "joke"; and (3) are for unused user accounts. There are reasons for removing unused (dormant for 2, 3+ years) accounts from groups via kick -- such as making the reports lists shorter and faster.

There's no value to all the tattle-tale logging and messaging in this case.  Plus most groups don't have 1/3 of the group members as shield-bearing superusers who can kick for whatever reason crosses their mind.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xor

I still don't like the message to the kickee idea, but I do like your alternate solution.

Ah.  Ok then.

Sorry I clouded the discussion with the 'inform the user' piece... that's a whole different level.  I think keeping track of the info somewhere accessible to the owner and The Man (and maybe maybe not other admins of the group) is a positive thing.  Beyond that, it's a different discussion I guess.  I suppose it kind of depends on if someone is being booted for being an asshole ('get lost, pal') or as part of the ha ha joke.  But regardless, logging it seems like goodness.

I don't see how logging the deletion of dormant accounts relates to 'tattletale'.  And more importantly, I fundamentally disagree that logging the kicking out of a user...kept privately for the owner of the group and maybe the admins... amounts to tattling.  If there's only a couple admins, then it isn't tattling.  If there are lots of admins, then it seems like a positive change.  Not tattling.  I don't get why being able to do it stealthily without even the owner knowing is good, like, ever.

A Saucy Wench

Ah.  Ok then.

Sorry I clouded the discussion with the 'inform the user' piece... that's a whole different level.  I think keeping track of the info somewhere accessible to the owner and The Man (and maybe maybe not other admins of the group) is a positive thing.  Beyond that, it's a different discussion I guess.  I suppose it kind of depends on if someone is being booted for being an asshole ('get lost, pal') or as part of the ha ha joke.  But regardless, logging it seems like goodness.

I don't see how logging the deletion of dormant accounts relates to 'tattletale'.  And more importantly, I fundamentally disagree that logging the kicking out of a user...kept privately for the owner of the group and maybe the admins... amounts to tattling.  If there's only a couple admins, then it isn't tattling.  If there are lots of admins, then it seems like a positive change.  Not tattling.  I don't get why being able to do it stealthily without even the owner knowing is good, like, ever.

For the owners and the admins maybe

There have been a few...um...shall we say VOLATILE people on various message boards that I have been on.  The details of kicking, or more specifically banning them from a sub group on a place like this with an open main forum and private messaging maybe need not be revealed to the kickee.  

The truth is the vast majority of the kicks are either jokes or housecleaning.  Harmless in the long run.  Lets face it, if your feelings get hurt in the forum that shall not be named, then probably it isnt the forum for you.   But in the case of a legit" crossing the line reel it in or get banned kick" - we dont need them following around the poor admin who had the job of keeping house.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Yes... I took back the bit about informing the user.  That makes a lot of sense.  Pretend I never said it.

I don't get why logging the stuff privately, including the housecleaning stuff and jokes, is tattling.

I'm just repeating myself.  I'll stop now.  Log it or don't.

(edited my edit to remove it.  kind of a whatever)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I did start the thread -- not because I thought it is an urgent or important issue, but because I think it is an interesting one, if arcane and not relevant to most users. I don't have anything to add, as everyone has already thought of & put forth any ideas that have occurred to me.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MrH

An audit trail for the group owner would seem like a good idea.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

#artbydmcbride

An audit trail for the group owner would seem like a good idea.

Will the owner then get grief for the shenanigans that go on, as the nominal babysitter?

Runners run

Presumably. But then that's why they pay you the big bucks. Smile

Will the owner then get grief for the shenanigans that go on, as the nominal babysitter?

Amy

#artbydmcbride

seems fair.  Cool

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

There's a part of me that is wondering why the hell I keep going into this thread, but I can't quit it.  It fascinates me.

I vote for anarchy.

Not at it at all.