Amputee Athlete Worthy of Admiration (Read 138 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Chris T

That is a remarkable story about one's ability and drive to adapt and overcome. The human spirit at it's best.

Oscar Pistorius' story was a similar tale, until three days ago.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How about this kid helping out his brother.

Beautiful boys.  So deserving of that honor and such a credit to sports.

~ Sarah Kay

HappyFeat

How about this kid helping out his brother.

Thanks for sharing the link. Quite remarkable. Tears flowed down my face to see such a deep love expressed. What a big (and wise) heart that older brother has.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Cool Jump Suit

My father lost his arm in an accident when he was 17.  It wasn't easy, but the next year he played football and baseball (his senior year) in high school.  Varsity too!  He couldn't make the basketball team with one arm though and had to switch to being the manager.  He WAS right-handed and lost his right arm......it's hard to just pick-up being left-handed you know.  But like in the video....he did pick things up.  He learned to tie his shoes (although as a kid I used to tie them a lot....I was faster Smile Wink and he even learned to tie a tie....double windsor knot to boot!  And yeah, my dad rode bicycles with me when I was a kid.....nothing as tough as cyclocross.  He's 70 now and plays golf.   Interestingly enough, he putts left-handed, but hits all of his other shots right-handed.  He's always had a great sense of humor about losing a limb.  I think you have to!

So bittersweet,
            This tragedy
            Won't ask for absolution;
            This melody,
            Inside of me,
            Still searches for solution.
            A twist of faith,
            A change of heart
            Cures my infatuation.
            A broken heart, 
            Provides the spark
            For my determination.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I recently endured a brief stint of having no use of my right arm/hand...as a right-handed individual.  It sucked.  Today was the first day since 11/28 that I've driven my own car, a stick.  I am SO happy to not be relegated to driving DH's bland automatic SUV.  I can't imagine tying knots with 1-hand!

~ Sarah Kay

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Great stuff Kirsten.  Thanks for sharing!  Keep this up and I might have to seriously check out this cyclocross stuff!  Surprised

STILL HAVING FUN!!!