Garmin Forerunner: helpful hints for noobs (Read 1478 times)

mikeymike

I also hate that when you stop and start your watch it counts as a lap/split. So if you do come to an intersection at 0.42 miles and stop your watch, you won't be able to get a mile split at 1.0 because the split restarts when the watch restarts. I wish Garmin would fix that.
    Hmm...I don't have that problem with my 205. I can stop and start it a million times no problem without triggering a lap. The nly thing that will trigger a lap is if I press the lap button or have it set to auto-lap. Maybe there is a switch somewhere that turns that "feature" on/off?

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I also hate that when you stop and start your watch it counts as a lap/split. So if you do come to an intersection at 0.42 miles and stop your watch, you won't be able to get a mile split at 1.0 because the split restarts when the watch restarts. I wish Garmin would fix that.
      Doesn't do this on my 305. (i.e Starting again doesn't cause a new lap). You might want to make sure your firmware is up-to-date. Make sure Auto-Lap is turned off completely (as opposed to trigger by position).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mbk

Hmm...I don't have that problem with my 205. I can stop and start it a million times no problem without triggering a lap. The nly thing that will trigger a lap is if I press the lap button or have it set to auto-lap. Maybe there is a switch somewhere that turns that "feature" on/off?
        I've looked everywhere and can't find anything. I think my firmware is up-to-date but I'll doublecheck. I have to get a serial-to-USB converter because my new laptop doesn't have a serial port. How long have you had your Garmin? Mine has always worked this way since day one. Thanks! Learn something new every day.
        mikeymike

I got my 205 in February of this year. I upgraded the chipset and firmware right away to the latest. The cradle that came with mine had a mini-USB to USB cable--that's the only way to connect it to the computer. I haven't seen a serial port in maybe 8 years.

Runners run

mbk

I figured out the problem....wishful thinking on my part. I don't have a 205, I have a 201! Sad It's good to know they fixed the problem in the 205. Someday I'll find a good reason to upgrade. Thanks.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, dumb question, maybe, but shouldn't the backlight come on automatically when I press any button? I can only get it to come on and off via the power button. It also won't shut off automatically, even though I have it set to only remain on for 15 seconds...am I missing something? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I've got mine set to turn off in 15 seconds. If I tap the power button after it is on and ready to go, then after that, any button I press will turn on the light. The automatic off works fine for me.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've got mine set to turn off in 15 seconds. If I tap the power button after it is on and ready to go, then after that, any button I press will turn on the light. The automatic off works fine for me.
                  Weird...I had read that in the manual and it wasn't working. I turned it off and then back on--now it's working correctly. Silly gadget.

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

You're smarter than me. It took me a whole winter of o'dark early morning runs to even discover that mine HAD a backlight. And I discovered it by accident.

Runners run

GP160

Ok, just bought my garmin 305. Going to save this thread for future reference... Cool
                      Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You're smarter than me.
                        Big grin Gwen, we should have Eric sticky this thread.... Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Any way to make the heart rate info bigger than that tiny # in the upper righthand corner? If so, I haven't come across it. I guess I could run with bifocals.
                            Any way to make the heart rate info bigger than that tiny # in the upper righthand corner? If so, I haven't come across it. I guess I could run with bifocals.
                            The only way I know of would be to set one of your screens to display only 1-3 fields instead of 4, and put it in one of the bigger fields.

A Saucy Wench

I also hate that when you stop and start your watch it counts as a lap/split. So if you do come to an intersection at 0.42 miles and stop your watch, you won't be able to get a mile split at 1.0 because the split restarts when the watch restarts. I wish Garmin would fix that. Have fun.
                              That is a setting choice. under GENERAL scroll down to bottom LAP ON STOP change to OFF

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

If you change one of your custom fields to display HR it should show. I have the 301 and it automatically adds a HR screen that you can toggle to when it senses HRM .

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7