Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

Oh and no go on stopping the Vicodin yet.  Sad

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Well, crap.    I'm willing to bet it's just the psoas pain.  Has anyone in the FB groups who had a psoas release mentioned how long they were on drugs?

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

Well, crap.    I'm willing to bet it's just the psoas pain.  Has anyone in the FB groups who had a psoas release mentioned how long they were on drugs?

I was thinking this, too.

MTA: Quite a few years back I severely tore a muscle in my groin.  I did a major split while trying to come up on water skis and heard it rip.  It was quite painful and I could not run for a couple of months while recovering as I recall.  This makes me think that the psoas release is a contributor to the pain issues.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

Yeah, it is the psoas -  Soft tissue stuff sucks. I PMed someone who has the psoas release with other questions but didn't ask about meds, good thought.

Hip Redux

Ok - one psoas person says she was given Valium as well, to help calm the psoas.  Might be worth trying, will talk to them about it.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Ok - one psoas person says she was given Valium as well, to help calm the psoas.  Might be worth trying, will talk to them about it.

Hmmm, google says that along with anxiety and withdrawal symptoms, it does treat muscle spasms.  Worth a shot.  And then you're going to be feeling reallllllyyyy good.  Ha!

So that captain applesauce guy just ran a 10 mile race at 3.5 months post-op...at a 6:47mm pace.  (http://www.captainapplesauce.com/fai/righthip.php#hippostrecovery)

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I feel like such a slacker next to some of these people you find, Mandy. lol

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oh hell.  I don't plan on even running at all 3.5 months post-op, so I guess I must be a slacker too.  I'm just sort of amazed that people think that sort of thing is a good idea!  Maybe I'm just being overly cautious.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Yeah, I'm with you.  My fear is that I will do too much too soon and ruin all the surgical repairs!  Hell if I ever want to go through this again.

I got the OK to add in something for muscle spasms - so hopefully that will help.  I am paranoid I'm going to end up with some sort of tendinopathy or soft tissue complication.

dallison

registered pw

Almost 5 weeks and i took my first walk with our oldest today. I came home, made a burger, went for a 5 mile bike ride on the road, came back and rode another mile with our oldest so he could run, walked .6 with our oldest and the .15 with our tripod.

It felt goofy walking as i still don't have my normal stride which will take a few more weeks.

I felt good and now i am going downstairs to work out.

I normally cook after i get done with my run and exercising the dogs. I don't like to run on a full stomach but riding doesn't have the same effect. So eating earlier and then exercising is a treat.

I normally get home before 5:45 and then feed the dogs. Then i would go for my run and then take them on their separate walks runs. That typically takes me to 7:15. At that point i'll eat a bowl of cereal instead of cooking a meal for myself.

I am walking up and down steps normally and sometimes have to slow down and remind myself that i'm not out of the woods yet.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

Nice, dallison!  We end up eating late as well because we try to get out after work and it's tough - but my husband has been cooking me dinner before he heads out on his run, so at least I get to eat at a normal time now. :P

I ran through my PT this morning - NO pain.  Maybe some progress!

Prince of Fatness

I ran

Already?  Damn. I am still on crutches!

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

Already?  Damn. I am still on crutches!

LOL  Noooo, I meant I did my set of exercises.

I'll have to figure out how to raise my foot higher than 1" off the ground before I run. lol  I have a walk in shower, and it STILL is a bear to step into the damn thing!

Prince of Fatness

I'll have to figure out how to raise my foot higher than 1" off the ground before I run. lol  I have a walk in shower, and it STILL is a bear to step into the damn thing!

I put the bad leg in first and swing in with the crutches.  Took me a few times to get a system down.

It gets better.  I am using one crutch most of the time, except long walks like coming into my work building from the car, or navigating stairs.  Between simply getting used to crutches and healing some it gets easier.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Sounds like you're doing well, Dallison!  You're a month behind me...you must be at 5.5 weeks or so?  A few more weeks and you'll get your gait back.

Oski, I am also still scared of having soft tissue issues.  I don't know at what point we'll be considered out of the woods for that.  I had a friend from RWOL back in the day have this surgery.  I was able to contact her recently and she said that she was healing great in the beginning and even started back to running for a few months.  Then she developed hip flexor tendonitis and she couldn't get rid of it for over SIX MONTHS!  Ugh.

Running is dumb.